Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Chinese New Year fireworks cancelled

Chinese New Year fireworks cancelled

Old Feb 13, 18, 8:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: MP, BR
Posts: 338
Chinese New Year fireworks cancelled

Just want to inform visitors whom might be looking forward to this. Fireworks cancelled for Chinese New Year due to bus crash tragedy.

Bus driver charged over fatal crash as Hong Kong cancels Lunar New Year fireworks South China Morning Post
Chromie25 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
Just want to inform visitors whom might be looking forward to this. Fireworks cancelled for Chinese New Year due to bus crash tragedy.

Bus driver charged over fatal crash as Hong Kong cancels Lunar New Year fireworks South China Morning Post
Not only a sad tragedy but the date Lunar calendar day two happens to be day 7 after the accident and the death. There is special mourning ritual on day 7 after the death.
tentseller is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 10:06 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,373
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Not only a sad tragedy but the date Lunar calendar day two happens to be day 7 after the accident and the death. There is special mourning ritual on day 7 after the death.
Thanks for answering. I was wondering what the significance was of cancelling the fireworks and you explained it.

Sad.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Thanks for answering. I was wondering what the significance was of cancelling the fireworks and you explained it.

Sad.
That mourning day was part of CE Carrie Lam's official announcement of the cancellation.

The sad part is the bus operator KMB's driver policy.
They use part time drivers for these special event shuttle, post horse race. The training is not the same as full time drivers. KMB has no record of what the driver was doing (driving, working) tbefore their part time shift (to and from the race course).

I have driven that stretch of road many time and is familiar with it. The legal speed limit was recently lowered to 70kmh from 80 and IMHO that is still too high for a fully loader double decker bus. That downhill curve is a challenge even in a 135i or 75S.
tentseller is offline  
Old Feb 21, 18, 8:28 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
techincally speaking that's the 8th day not 7th, but it wouldnt change how sad the incident was....
more to do with KMB not paying enough to get sufficient full time drivers in general, then you get 1 rouge driver with a bunch of losers (lost in horse racing) complaining over everything in life after (apparently) the bus that was supposed to do the first run got in an accident that was eventually cancelled, so the complainers had a LONGGGGG go at the poor sod bus driver. and he went off with the whole bus full of passengers.

talking about pax abusing drivers/pilots (not so much)/flight attendant and demoralizing them and calling them waitress in the air and overpaid button pushers...
kaka is offline  
Old Feb 21, 18, 10:59 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
techincally speaking that's the 8th day not 7th, but it wouldnt change how sad the incident was....
more to do with KMB not paying enough to get sufficient full time drivers in general, then you get 1 rouge driver with a bunch of losers (lost in horse racing) complaining over everything in life after (apparently) the bus that was supposed to do the first run got in an accident that was eventually cancelled, so the complainers had a LONGGGGG go at the poor sod bus driver. and he went off with the whole bus full of passengers.

talking about pax abusing drivers/pilots (not so much)/flight attendant and demoralizing them and calling them waitress in the air and overpaid button pushers...
Agree with you. Some of these post race losers can be worse for the driver than DYKWIA types on GAs and FAs.
kaka likes this.
tentseller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread