FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Dim Sum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1777099-dim-sum.html)

maortega15 Jul 9, 2016 5:37 am

Dim Sum

Can anyone recommend a good dim sum place for someone who is going alone?

Thanks!

vh_bu98 Jul 9, 2016 10:40 am

I made reservations at Yan Toh Heen for one tomorrow. Supposedly it's one of the best in town.

jerry a. laska Jul 9, 2016 2:25 pm

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...w-harbour.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...im-ho-wan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...-sum-solo.html

maortega15 Jul 10, 2016 3:59 am

Anyone know the best Tim Ho Wan to go to, what time they open, if they accept credit cards and what to get?

Thanks

vh_bu98 Jul 10, 2016 4:56 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 26895210)
Anyone know the best Tim Ho Wan to go to, what time they open, if they accept credit cards and what to get?

Thanks

I hear it's the Sham Shui Po location since it's the only one who with the star. It opens at 8 am. I think it's cash only.

maortega15 Jul 10, 2016 6:01 am

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 26895312)
I hear it's the Sham Shui Po location since it's the only one who with the star. It opens at 8 am. I think it's cash only.

I thought it opens 1000, no? :confused:

maortega15 Jul 10, 2016 7:03 am

Yep, it looks like it opens @ 1000.

Any recommendations on what to get at Tim Ho Wan?

jamescho Jul 10, 2016 8:52 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 26895554)
Yep, it looks like it opens @ 1000.

Any recommendations on what to get at Tim Ho Wan?

It's most well known for its baked barbecued pork buns. The shrimp dumplings are good too, but most of their other items are pretty good as well.

tentseller Jul 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamescho (Post 26895859)
It's most well known for its baked barbecued pork buns. The shrimp dumplings are good too, but most of their other items are pretty good as well.

^ to baked BBQ pork buns with the top crust!

garykung Jul 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Sorry to say, it is the same Tim Ho Wan that has been found for food safety issue:

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/press/20160531_0541.html

tentseller Jul 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 26897572)
sorry to say, it is the same tim ho wan that has been found for food safety issue:

唔好運?

maortega15 Jul 11, 2016 4:40 am

Originally Posted by jamescho (Post 26895859)

I'm obviously going to get that! But what else should I get aside from the buns, shu mai, steamed egg cake and ha gao? I'm hearing some good things on the rice noodle rolls stuffed with pig's liver. Anyone have more info on it?

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 26897572)
Sorry to say, it is the same Tim Ho Wan that has been found for food safety issue:

I hope the issue is resolved now. Even the greatest of places have their problems.

mkjr Jul 11, 2016 6:36 am

do people go to this place just so they can say they have been to the cheapest place with a star? i mean, there are many much better places than this....

out of all the places in HKG, many of which have no stars, people seem so obsessed with this place. i honestly do not get it at all.

and sorry to say using "greatest" to describe Tim Ho wan...."computer says no...."

tentseller Jul 11, 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 26899261)
I'm obviously going to get that! But what else should I get aside from the buns, shu mai, steamed egg cake and ha gao? I'm hearing some good things on the rice noodle rolls stuffed with pig's liver. Anyone have more info on it?

I hope the issue is resolved now. Even the greatest of places have their problems.

Pig liver rice roll is good, not the best in HK, IMHO.
Also it might be an acquired taste thing.

When yum cha'ing it is best to get what you like.

I have been known to grab an order or two of BBQ pork bun after getting off AEX and waiting for my ride to office or family homestead,

maortega15 Jul 11, 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 26900419)
Pig liver rice roll is good, not the best in HK, IMHO.
Also it might be an acquired taste thing.

When yum cha'ing it is best to get what you like.

I have been known to grab an order or two of BBQ pork bun after getting off AEX and waiting for my ride to office or family homestead,

Where do you go for yum cha?

tentseller Jul 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 26901278)
Where do you go for yum cha?

PM'd

maortega15 Aug 2, 2016 3:17 am

Sorry to bring this thread up, but I'm curious to know how much I should expect to spend at Tim Ho Wan. Also, since I read they charge a service charge, I assume tipping is not necessary?

Thanks again.

garykung Aug 2, 2016 4:02 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 27002280)
Sorry to bring this thread up, but I'm curious to know how much I should expect to spend at Tim Ho Wan.

~HKD$1-200/person.

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 27002280)
Also, since I read they charge a service charge, I assume tipping is not necessary?

Yes.

maortega15 Aug 2, 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 27002379)
~HKD$1-200/person.

Yes.

Thanks

889 Aug 2, 2016 9:54 am

But it's customary to round up to the nearest HK$10. So if the bill is HK$192, you'll pay HK$200 and not expect any change; indeed, they may not even make the show of bringing your change. Pay by credit card and they'll probably expect you to write HK$200 as the total amount, not HK$192.

rkkwan Aug 2, 2016 10:24 am

Hard to spend HK$200/person at Tim Ho Wan, unless you are super hungry, or you bring a doggie bag.

Tipping is definitely NOT necessary. And I doubt you'll feel like tipping at the end of your meal, since service is non-existent.

I'd take all the change.

garykung Aug 2, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 27003634)
But it's customary to round up to the nearest HK$10.

I don't think it is customary, but simply you are generous...:D

cmcg Aug 4, 2016 6:16 am

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 26899632)
do people go to this place just so they can say they have been to the cheapest place with a star? i mean, there are many much better places than this....

out of all the places in HKG, many of which have no stars, people seem so obsessed with this place. i honestly do not get it at all.

and sorry to say using "greatest" to describe Tim Ho wan...."computer says no...."

I agree. It baffles me too. The newer ones like the one in IFC doesn't even have quality. There are so many others that are better. Even some Maxim's ones have better dim sum.

How about trying the likes of Luk Yu in Central, or Dynasty at the Harbour View Renaissance in Wanchai or smaller ones like Dim Sum Square in Sheung Wan?

tentseller Aug 4, 2016 6:48 am

Many of these smaller local (as in North Point, SSP, Sheung Wan, Wan Chai, etc) are trying to capture fortune with the fame of their M star.

When Michelin first started this there were many well earn stars by these local ma and pa or family shops. The original SSP THW was an example. Now there are over 20 THW spread out all over SE Asia, many in the high rent district (Singapore and Manila).

There were many from the original list who are no longer in business due to not being able to keep up with the new found popularity and/or greed by owners/landlord.

A good example is 13offal who closed shop rather than ceding to the demand of their greedy landlord.

maortega15 Aug 5, 2016 4:34 pm

What does "$2/one for Pu-erh" mean? Found it at the top of a Tim Ho Wan menu.

christep Aug 5, 2016 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 27021930)

I guess it means that a pot of pu-erh tea for the table will cost $2 per person.

tentseller Aug 5, 2016 5:23 pm

You will get a pot of tea as opposed to the generic refill into you plastic drinking glass.

moondog Aug 5, 2016 10:52 pm

Do you actually like 普洱茶? (I know it's good for the digestive system, but I'm not a fan.)

evergrn Aug 6, 2016 12:12 am

Originally Posted by cmcg (Post 27013745)
The newer ones like the one in IFC doesn't even have quality. There are so many others that are better. Even some Maxim's ones have better dim sum.

There are two things that stand out for me at Tim Ho Wan: bbq pork pie; chiu chow dumpling.

Everything else I've tried there is average at best.

Their bbq pork pies are good, and somewhat unique because the outside is a bit crispy and sweet. But while it's good, it's not something I can eat a lot of. 1 or 2 is enough. And if you like bbq pork pie that's crispy and sweet on the outside, I think the one at Fook Lam Moon is better. FLM's version has the outside that almost has the texture of almond cookie.

THW's chiu chow dumplings are really good, though, and it's hard to find something like that elsewhere.

I go to THW for two reasons. 1).cheap; 2).chiu chow dumplings. It's not a place I'd go out of the way to visit, though.

With regards to Maxim restaurants, I don't quite understand why they're not rated highly. It's been years since I've been to Maxim 's Palace, but their House of Jasmine in Harbour City is reliable and enjoyable, definitely above average and better than Tim Ho Wan imo. More recently, went to Maxim's Jasmine Garden (rkkwan rec'd it, I think) and I thought it was very solid.

garykung Aug 6, 2016 4:42 am

Maxim 's Palace is a shithole IMHO.

BuildingMyBento Aug 6, 2016 9:30 am

It has been a while, but I may be in HK in late August. A couple of points:

1) I'm looking for a seafood-specialty dim sum parlor. Seafood - har gow, and pretty much anything else - is all I generally eat for 飲茶 anyway.

2) If anyone would want to join, the dates are roughly in the early 20s of this August.

Happy Aug 6, 2016 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 27003751)
Hard to spend HK$200/person at Tim Ho Wan, unless you are super hungry, or you bring a doggie bag.

Tipping is definitely NOT necessary. And I doubt you'll feel like tipping at the end of your meal, since service is non-existent.

I'd take all the change.

Agree. Table sharing and the tea is not even any good. Dim Sum, well, dont know how the Michelin awards stars in Asia...

The original shop is within walking distance from the City Garden hotel at North Point we stayed for a night so we went. Not impressed.

For a relatively good and cheap eat, 稻香 at Wanchai during the morning special hours, was very good the time we went. Much better seating environment than the Tin Ho Wan too. Not every 稻香 is good though. We tried one in Kowloon and it was no good at all.

Happy Aug 6, 2016 4:14 pm

I agree. It baffles me too. The newer ones like the one in IFC doesn't even have quality. There are so many others that are better. Even some Maxim's ones have better dim sum.

How about trying the likes of Luk Yu in Central, or Dynasty at the Harbour View Renaissance in Wanchai or smaller ones like Dim Sum Square in Sheung Wan?

^ Our favorite for lunch / dinner as well. Excellent bbq pork, and some very tasty specialty mushroom (not Shitake) dish that not available anywhere else. Only problem is Dynasty can be quite expensive.

garykung Aug 8, 2016 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27025809)
For a relatively good and cheap eat, 稻香 at Wanchai during the morning special hours, was very good the time we went. Much better seating environment than the Tin Ho Wan too. Not every 稻香 is good though. We tried one in Kowloon and it was no good at all.

I hate this brand because everything is prepared in its Tai Po facility.

Dimsum Mum Aug 12, 2016 1:15 am

I work in Sai Ying Pun and we go to Saam Hui Yaat - 11 Pokfulam Rd quite often.

evergrn Oct 7, 2016 11:35 pm

What's the best dim sum place in Admiralty (or anywhere within 10min walk of Conrad) these days?

Is it Golden Leaf? I don't think I've ever been to the dim sum at Island Shangri-la. How does that compare?

Too bad Victorian City is closed. I liked that place.

jamescho Oct 8, 2016 4:26 am

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 27318556)
What's the best dim sum place in Admiralty (or anywhere within 10min walk of Conrad) these days?

Is it Golden Leaf? I don't think I've ever been to the dim sum at Island Shangri-la. How does that compare?

Too bad Victorian City is closed. I liked that place.

Summer Palace at the Shangri-la is pretty good. A bit more expensive, but it's quieter than other places and service is a bit better. Haven't been to dim sum at the Conrad so I can't compare.

Metropol is popular (United Centre), but I don't think it's great. Lippo Chiu Chow (Lippo Centre) is probably the place with both reasonable prices and pretty good food.

evergrn Oct 8, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks. Dim sum menu at Summer Palace looks good. Definitely pricy, but not outrageous.

Not a fan of Metropol either. I've never been to Lippo Chiu Chow. I should look into it.

kaka Oct 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Lukyu: good - but mediocre service unless u r a long time regular who tips well
Dynasty: good n pricy. Dad's default business dinner place when he had to deal w clients.
Dim sum square: half decent. I would return if it suit my plans cuz its a local shop.

kaka Oct 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 27023574)
Maxim 's Palace is a shithole IMHO.

Except being a chain the palace is far from a shithole. Most maxims in the business districts are decent- central, sheung wan, ocean terminal, festival walk, and taikoo