Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeing the Border at Lo Wu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Seeing the Border at Lo Wu

I was thinking of taking MTR East to Lo Wu just to see the border between mainland China and Hong Kong, and then heading back to Hong Kong without making the crossing? Is that even possible?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:10 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

When the train doors open at the Lo Wu (Luo Hu) terminus, you would join the the masses (from the train) as they race through the MRT exit gate, which leads right into Hong Kong passport control exit formalities. From there it's a no u-turn kinda deal directly on an indoor pedestrian bridge leading to Chinese passport control (no forgetting that duty-free now...). I "guess" you could stay on the train but one of the cleaners might kick you off, or worse.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
When the train doors open at the Lo Wu (Luo Hu) terminus, you would join the the masses (from the train) as they race through the MRT exit gate, which leads right into Hong Kong passport control exit formalities. From there it's a no u-turn kinda deal directly on an indoor pedestrian bridge leading to Chinese passport control (no forgetting that duty-free now...). I "guess" you could stay on the train but one of the cleaners might kick you off, or worse.
I don't think that's the question being asked. I think the real question is "After going through Hong Kong exit passport control, is it possible to get back to inbound Hong Kong passport control without also clearing PRC passport control in both directions?" That is, could you exit Hong Kong, walk over the bridge that straddles the border, take a brief look around the inbound Immigration hall on the PRC side, then turn around and get back into Hong Kong?

If that is possible, it could make an interesting side trip for a visitor to Hong Kong. I think it's striking how different the vibe is as soon as you cross over the line.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't think that's the question being asked. I think the real question is "After going through Hong Kong exit passport control, is it possible to get back to inbound Hong Kong passport control without also clearing PRC passport control in both directions?" That is, could you exit Hong Kong, walk over the bridge that straddles the border, take a brief look around the inbound Immigration hall on the PRC side, then turn around and get back into Hong Kong?

If that is possible, it could make an interesting side trip for a visitor to Hong Kong. I think it's striking how different the vibe is as soon as you cross over the line.
If you are a US citizen and exit HK at Lo Wu without a China visa it would be your only option as you would be denied entry to China and probably in for an interesting experience in terms of vibes. Not sure if you'd be fined though.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

This doesn't sound too promising. I was interested in getting close to the border without actually trying to enter mainland China. Sort of like a look from West Berlin toward the former Berlin wall. It's possible there is no equivalent here.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
While it is technically possible to get off the train at Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau and take a return one, it is actually against HK laws to do so without the intent of traveling to China. The area bordering China are restricted area, not for sightseeing without actually crossing the border. And this is without leaving HK immigration. It's an even bigger issue to turnaround after leaving HK.

There is really nothing interesting to look at. And if you just want to see China, one can see all the Shenzhen skyscrapers at various location in the New Territories. I can see plenty just driving out of the Tai Lam Tunnel, still miles away from the border.

The closer place to China is on the Macau side.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
This doesn't sound too promising. I was interested in getting close to the border without actually trying to enter mainland China. Sort of like a look from West Berlin toward the former Berlin wall. It's possible there is no equivalent here.
If you want to see China without entering, the closest place to get is in Macau. You can walk almost right to the border without leaving Macau.

You can check some streetview pictures as well.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22480019
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/57585533

Last edited by HKtraveller; Sep 25, 2012 at 1:39 am
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: BA (sigh) Blue (thanks strikers). Arsenal Gold
There really isn't all that much interesting to look at. There aren't pillboxes and searchlights and whatnot. Of the two, the border at Lok Ma Chau is probably slightly more interesting as it has large 15 foot fences with barbed wire on the top, but really that's about it.

If you look at Google maps here you can see the police stopping the Google Maps car. Police in that area wear camouflage as part of their anti-smuggling efforts.

http://goo.gl/maps/1TQJQ
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
If you are a US citizen and exit HK at Lo Wu without a China visa it would be your only option as you would be denied entry to China and probably in for an interesting experience in terms of vibes. Not sure if you'd be fined though.
Well that's the question, isn't it? Can you do this - exit Hong Kong and then just re-enter after a few minutes of looking around in no-man's land - or are the two directions segregated such that you couldn't do so without getting someone to let you through a special door?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idiparker
There really isn't all that much interesting to look at. There aren't pillboxes and searchlights and whatnot. Of the two, the border at Lok Ma Chau is probably slightly more interesting as it has large 15 foot fences with barbed wire on the top, but really that's about it.

If you look at Google maps here you can see the police stopping the Google Maps car. Police in that area wear camouflage as part of their anti-smuggling efforts.

http://goo.gl/maps/1TQJQ
+1, this would be pretty boring and a waste of 70+ HKD.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Well that's the question, isn't it? Can you do this - exit Hong Kong and then just re-enter after a few minutes of looking around in no-man's land - or are the two directions segregated such that you couldn't do so without getting someone to let you through a special door?
I believe you can't without getting someone to let you through a special door but I am not sure. The two sections are on separate floors.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are using a US passport only to leave HK at a manned channel, the HK officer probably will flip the passport and notice that you don't have a Chinese visa...
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comprehensive response.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
+1, this would be pretty boring and a waste of 70+ HKD.
It's a weird surchage for using the train to get to Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau. While it's $21/$22 one-way for the one-stop from Sheung Shui to the border, it's only about $10-$12 to take a "B" bus from Northwest N.T. to get to Shenzhen Bay or the Lok Ma Chau crossing. And the "Huang/Wong/Yellow" Bus is only $8 to get to the border.

But you're right that either way it's about HK$70 roundtrip from the city to the border.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
It's a weird surchage for using the train to get to Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau. While it's $21/$22 one-way for the one-stop from Sheung Shui to the border, it's only about $10-$12 to take a "B" bus from Northwest N.T. to get to Shenzhen Bay or the Lok Ma Chau crossing. And the "Huang/Wong/Yellow" Bus is only $8 to get to the border.

But you're right that either way it's about HK$70 roundtrip from the city to the border.
They seem to charge different departure taxes at different crossings.

The weirdest thing though is that you can save a few dollars by checking out at Sheung Shui and getting back on when coming from Hung Hom. In order to stop people doing that the same Octopus is blocked for 60 seconds. Some people have 2 cards for that reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.