Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Has HKG stopped enforcing strict carry-on limits without an orange tag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On my recent HKG-HND flight, people in economy had up to 22" bags in carryon, does that mean the really tough size enforcement before security has been relaxed?

Would be great to know if so!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:41 pm

Not sure where and whick airlines that you have been flying but 22" (56 cm) is the standard maximum length for cabin baggage for most airlines including Cathay Pacific.

CX - the principal carrier of Hong Kong sets the standard maximum cabin baggage size at 56cm (22") x 36cm (14") x 23cm (9") Length/Height/Width. The maximum weight is 7kgs for Economy, 10kgs for Business and 15kgs for First Class.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
22" have always been allowed if they are actually 22", not 22" + handles + wheels + whatever sticking out.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

I understand the official rules, they have been around for ages. That's not what I was asking about.

Hong Kong has always been overly restrictive on carry-on bags unless your airline gave you a special orange tag (which agents ALWAYS tore off entering security). If you had that tag, no questions were asked. If you didn't, the sizer was used very aggressively.

My question is whether that enforcement system has gone away or not.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I understand the official rules, they have been around for ages. That's not what I was asking about.

Hong Kong has always been overly restrictive on carry-on bags unless your airline gave you a special orange tag (which agents ALWAYS tore off entering security). If you had that tag, no questions were asked. If you didn't, the sizer was used very aggressively.

No, the enforcement system has not been relaxed. If your carry on "looks" bigger than allowed, you will be asked to fit it into the metal frame to confirm the size. If it fits properly into the metal frame, you will not have any problem. If it does not, you will be sent back to the airline check in counter to either obtain a tag or checked as baggage. The entire bag, including the wheels and handles, must fit completely into the metal frame.

HKG security is simply verifying the carry on size much more proactively than many other airports.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, the enforcement system has not been relaxed. If your carry on "looks" bigger than allowed, you will be asked to fit it into the metal frame to confirm the size. If it fits properly into the metal frame, you will not have any problem. If it does not, you will be sent back to the airline check in counter to either obtain a tag or checked as baggage. The entire bag, including the wheels and handles, must fit completely into the metal frame.

HKG security is simply verifying the carry on size much more proactively than many other airports.
Thanks for the info. Possibly it seemed a bit more informal when I was there because there was some rock band about to leave and they were thronged with cheering fans just at the entrance to security. Still gotta have that orange tag, I guess!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG

No wonder the UA 1K checkin counter always gave me some kind of "carry-on" tags. :-)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:05 am

Thanks for the info. Possibly it seemed a bit more informal when I was there because there was some rock band about to leave and they were thronged with cheering fans just at the entrance to security. Still gotta have that orange tag, I guess!
Yes, if the carry on is over the size limit or more than the usual one piece plus one small personal article but the airline says it's okay to take on board, ie., the orange tag, the HKG security will let you through.

Most airlines are generally quite flexible if one's flying F, J or an upper tier member of their FF programme.

It's actually a very good practice and should be adhered by other airports to control both the # and size of carry on. I have found in my recent North American travel with the checked baggage fee etc. It's a "mad house" fighting for overhead bin space, especially when flying a smaller E190 or E175. I have even noticed some Y passengers dumped their carry on in the F/J section when making their way to the back of the bus!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Clipper801
It's actually a very good practice and should be adhered by other airports to control both the # and size of carry on. I have found in my recent North American travel with the checked baggage fee etc. It's a "mad house" fighting for overhead bin space, especially when flying a smaller E190 or E175. I have even noticed some Y passengers dumped their carry on in the F/J section when making their way to the back of the bus!
Indeed, and as an unpleasant side effect you get that 3rd world feeling as the gate lice congregate around the boarding area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.