Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
May 2017 Update

I just completed a stay.

Pros:
Full of old fashioned charm and decor. Not your typical cookie-cutter hotel. The theme works well and is consistent.
Staff are wonderful.
Great bar.
Diamonds get a $12 voucher to spend at the restaurant for breakfast. (there is no buffet - just order from the menu).

Cons:
Rooms are small (but adequate)
The roadside location is noisy. The rooms facing away from the road overlook an airconditioner/boiler which is noisy. Bring earplugs if a quiet sleeping environment is important.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:39 pm

I just booked a 4 night stay next month and was wondering if there's any significant difference between the balcony rooms and corner "whirpool" rooms?

I originally booked a balcony room but decided to "downgrade" to a corner room instead as we really don't need a balcony and I didn't want to pay the extra ~$45/nt. I actually think the balconies are kind of ugly and there's not much of a view looking down at 4th or Cherry St - parking garage, construction site, buildings.

Anyhow, I couldn't really get a clear answer from the hotel/Hilton but is there any big difference in room size, layout or decor? I understand that corner rooms are typically a little smaller than balcony rooms from doing some research online, but I guess all rooms vary in size given the uniqueness of the hotel. I'm cool with that as I prefer character to uniformity. I'd like to get a rough idea of what to expect from the corner room though. Their website is pretty lousy and only offers tiny thumbnail stock images of rooms, often not even distinguishing photos from different room types.

Has anyone stayed in a corner room? Is there any reason to pay extra for a balcony that probably won't ever get used? We don't intend to spend much time in our room anyhow. Is there any departure from the time-warp aesthetic when moving between room categories? Often times certain properties will offer more "authentic" furnishings and such in higher priced rooms. From photos I've seen, the hard product looks kind of cheap for the going rates; even compared to other small historic (non-chain) properties like The Marlton in NYC.

I'm just looking to get some very brief feedback on the room categories (specifically the corner whirpool) at The Arctic Club. Thx.

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Having stayed there > 25 times over the past three years, I would always want a balcony room, especially in the fall. The balcony rooms are much brighter and on the top floor. The corner rooms on the upper floors are good second choice.

As for the decor/hard product, contrary to your impression, this is a very special hotel. Every stick of furniture was custom designed and mostly hand built for the hotel. Very high quality. The maintenance is top shelf too. The fabrics and fixtures are top shelf. The basics are the same for all room categories.

As others have noted, it's a real character hotel, which was rebuilt with much care and authenticity.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23561878-post50.html is my review, which needs no changes.
OliverB likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by OliverB
I'm just looking to get some very brief feedback on the room categories (specifically the corner whirpool) at The Arctic Club. Thx.
I stayed in a corner whirlpool room (upgraded from regular room) back in January. The room is reasonably sized and there are plenty of windows on both corners. While I have not been in a balcony room, the decor was quite unique and definitely had a lot of character.

It's one of the best rooms/hotels I've ever stayed at...it'd make a great Curio Collection hotel.
OliverB likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
Having stayed there > 25 times over the past three years, I would always want a balcony room, especially in the fall. The balcony rooms are much brighter and on the top floor. The corner rooms on the upper floors are good second choice.

As for the decor/hard product, contrary to your impression, this is a very special hotel. Every stick of furniture was custom designed and mostly hand built for the hotel. Very high quality. The maintenance is top shelf too. The fabrics and fixtures are top shelf. The basics are the same for all room categories.

As others have noted, it's a real character hotel, which was rebuilt with much care and authenticity.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23561878-post50.html is my review, which needs no changes.
Thanks so much and I appreciate your review!

As the corner rooms are all on upper floors, I'm not too concerned with being on the very "top" and the level of brightness is not a deciding factor either. Are there any other reasons you would choose to stay in the balcony rooms over the corner rooms? I managed to secure a really good rate on our corner room so I'm not sure whether the extra couple of hundred bucks would be justified for the upgrade. If it were a suite upgrade at a different property, I might reconsider, but given that the rooms seem so similar in layout and design, I personally just don't think it's worth the extra cost for our purposes, as we really don't need a balcony at this location. I suppose I can always inquire about an upgrade at check-in and see what happens... I think I'd rather save the extra $40-50 per night for food & drinks.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:34 pm

Also, I read a review on TA that mentioned the balcony is actually a community balcony for all of the rooms on the top floor; can you please confirm? The reviewer mentioned that they felt a bit exposed since their room was in a corner with walls of windows, so other guests could potentially see right in if the blinds weren't drawn.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by OliverB
Also, I read a review on TA that mentioned the balcony is actually a community balcony for all of the rooms on the top floor; can you please confirm? The reviewer mentioned that they felt a bit exposed since their room was in a corner with walls of windows, so other guests could potentially see right in if the blinds weren't drawn.
This is correct, but there are plants separating each area.

Also, to correct, there are corner rooms on lower floors. The first stay I made there was a corner room on the 4th floor. I was lowly HH Silver then

Last edited by ptownca; Sep 5, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well now you all have me wanting to stay there. I almost did a while back but the Hilton came in much cheaper, so I went with that (and the stay was fine).

We're heading up to Seattle for a quick 2 nights to hit the MOPC and the MOHI (I think I got those right ) and right now have a reservation for 2 nights at the Hampton Inn on 5th and Roy (where we've stayed before and perfect location for what we are doing). Rate $127 per night.

What we COULD do is, after hitting the exhibits on the second day is take the bus right down to the Arctic Club, spend the night there, then head from there to the airport the next day.

But the cheapest rate is $236 for the queen room with a shower (would hope for a Diamond upgrade).

The trip is for my husband's birthday so I'd of course like a nicer hotel for at least one of the nights, and the AC looks very masculine so he'd like it, but for almost twice the price? And the noise potential?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My experience is that the hotel was EXTREMELY responsive to email and faxes, and when I sent in a similar request asking whether if I booked we could be upgraded I got a nice and affirmative response from a hotel staffer. I made the reservation online, sent him the confirmation #, and soon my reservation was showing upgraded.

Worth a try
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
My experience is that the hotel was EXTREMELY responsive to email and faxes, and when I sent in a similar request asking whether if I booked we could be upgraded I got a nice and affirmative response from a hotel staffer. I made the reservation online, sent him the confirmation #, and soon my reservation was showing upgraded.

Worth a try
Moreover, the hotel is very good about Diamond treatment. One night one of the desk agents explained their upgrade policy. VIP for whatever reason + Diamonds who are repeat guests. > Diamond > Gold.^
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ptownca
Moreover, the hotel is very good about Diamond treatment. One night one of the desk agents explained their upgrade policy. VIP for whatever reason + Diamonds who are repeat guests. > Diamond > Gold.^
I've always had good luck here regarding upgrades. That being said, it isn't the greatest hotel IMO, the restaurant is always just so so for me.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:52 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton

700 3rd Avenue Seattle, WA US 98104

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA} (7 Photos)

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Stayed one (Friday) night - November 3, 2017 as a diamond member.

Check In

I booked the cheapest available room with points (1 queen with shower only) and the day before via OLCI I was able to select a king room with whirlpool tub on the top (10th) floor. This was not the corner room that had been described elsewhere in this thread, but was definitely an upgrade and was the best room they were selling that night.

Room

IMG_9391.JPG.jpg

IMG_9392.JPG.jpg

IMG_9393.JPG.jpg

IMG_9394.JPG.jpg

The balcony was shared among the rooms on the floor and had this view:

IMG_9403.JPG.jpg

IMG_9406.JPG.jpg

In general I found the room to be adequately sized, the bathroom to be nicely appointed, and the bed to be comfortable. I did not hear any noise from outside. This particular room was near the elevators and I did hear some noise from the hallway, so it seems that interior insulation is not as great as some other places I've stayed.

Service

I found service to be above many other Hilton properties I've stayed in.

Diamond benefits were delivered as per expectations:

• Upgraded in advance to best available room, selected at OLCI
  • Welcomed as a diamond member upon check-in
  • 2 bottles of water were waiting in the room
  • Breakfast vouchers were provided at check-in (more on this later)
  • Complimentary bag of local popcorn and personalized note in the room
  • Late check-out requested via text message and granted (11am to 1pm)
  • Bonus cookie! (Given 2 cookies instead of 1)

In addition they were readily handing out maps of the area and indicating walking routes.

Dining

Breakfast was at the attached Juno restaurant. Voucher was good for the continental option or $12 credit toward the menu. The crab cake benedict dish pictured here was fantastic, and net cost after the voucher and tip was $7.

I had 2 vouchers but they enforced 1 per person and wouldn't give me 2x$12 credit unfortunately, so one of my vouchers went to waste.

IMG_9408.JPG.jpg

Good location for what I needed: Across the street from light rail station, and a 15 minute walk to the Pike Place fish market. Area seemed reasonably safe, and access to the hotel's back door and guest floors 4-10 was secured at all times by room key card.

Overall

Good delivery on diamond benefits, good location, good breakfast. Overall an enjoyable stay. I would recommend and I would stay again.

Would you like to write a review on the The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
any idea how to get warus the mascot here?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Prince of hotel
any idea how to get warus the mascot here?
It's been about a year since I stayed, but if I recall, he was in my minibar basket and had an associated price tag.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Evo40
It's been about a year since I stayed, but if I recall, he was in my minibar basket and had an associated price tag.
He was 25 bucks last week, according to the card in the basket. For that price, they ought to give you the condom and lube in the "couples kit" for free....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.