Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Redeeming points- Gold HHonour member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming points- Gold HHonour member

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Post Redeeming points- Gold HHonour member

Hi,

I am travelling to Hanoi (Vietnam) in April, Im HHonors Gold member, thinking about spending some points as the hotel has availability on a "point stretcher"
rate (15k instead of 25k). Do I still get the same gold benefits (club floor/upgrade or breakfast)? Also, once you loose Gold (end of december), do you become Silver or straight back to Blue?

Thank you for your answers,

Sam
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by samouch
Hi,

I am travelling to Hanoi (Vietnam) in April, Im HHonors Gold member, thinking about spending some points as the hotel has availability on a "point stretcher"
rate (15k instead of 25k). Do I still get the same gold benefits (club floor/upgrade or breakfast)?
Yes. Based on your account preferences.

Originally Posted by samouch
Also, once you loose Gold (end of december), do you become Silver or straight back to Blue?

Thank you for your answers,

Sam
Who knows? I would say this is a "case by case" basis. I don't recall Hilton being to generous with soft landings.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:13 am
nsr

Question redeeming points for someone else

If you book an award for someone else while being Gold, but the reservation is after you lose Gold status, do they still get the Gold benefits in the hotel (upgrade/breakfast)? Can the hotel see that you lost Gold status or do they only have the original reservation in the system with Gold status on in?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by nsr
If you book an award for someone else while being Gold, but the reservation is after you lose Gold status, do they still get the Gold benefits in the hotel (upgrade/breakfast)? Can the hotel see that you lost Gold status or do they only have the original reservation in the system with Gold status on in?
If you're booking for someone else, they aren't entitled to benefits anyway. Benefits are for the member.

There are reports that people have received benefits, but I wouldn't a) count on it if you have a budget and not paying for breakfast is calculated into the budget of the trip, and b) if status has lapsed at the time of the trip.

There are exception were folks have said they received benefits or they showed up at the hotel after losing status but the property showed their previous elite status. But again, those are exceptions and I would advise against "counting" or "expecting" benefits.

It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Normally, anyone you granted an award booking to on your points are dealt with based on their, not your, status (though we have seen occasions the hotel will in fact respect the status of the grantor, such as my wife's nephew and his fiancée recent stay in London - we are both Diamond, they were treated as if they had been Diamonds, upgraded rooms with breakfast, etc. to their pleasant surprise.)

And the desk personnel apparently can check your profile and see such items as current status, number of points, etc. I know this because at least a couple of clerks have commented on such issues when I am checking in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.