Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have added this to my original review post - GM Miguel Rojas has explained there will be a "quite zone" implemented, which means the trains (AMTRAK, BNSF) will not be sounding their horns at every intersection, as required now, unless there is an emergency. No specific date I am aware of, but it would be a welcome change, eliminating the loudest and most-complained about annoyance (not the less loud trolley horns and crossings bells).
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:11 am
mmo

Any recent stays on Hampton Downtown San Diego?

Thinking of staying here at the end of the month for the Paul McCartney concert at Petco Park. Hilton Bayfront is too pricey right now. Any recent stays and can we get trolley to Petco park from here?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:40 am

The Little Italy trolley stop is a couple blocks away (google maps is your friend). Take the green line to Petco.

Queenstown Public House on Columbia and Cedar is a good place to eat/drink nearby. A bit further, but still within walking distance is Ballast Point Brewery on India. Great beer and decent food. Star of India is a couple blocks away if you are into 19th century ships.

I haven't stayed there in about a year, but this hotel is usually best value Hilton in San Diego due to proximity to trolley, free parking for diamonds, and potential suite upgrades for gold/diamond. I never had problems with the trains, but I am not a light sleeper.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:23 pm
mmo

Originally Posted by ATLnuke
The Little Italy trolley stop is a couple blocks away (google maps is your friend). Take the green line to Petco.

Queenstown Public House on Columbia and Cedar is a good place to eat/drink nearby. A bit further, but still within walking distance is Ballast Point Brewery on India. Great beer and decent food. Star of India is a couple blocks away if you are into 19th century ships.

I haven't stayed there in about a year, but this hotel is usually best value Hilton in San Diego due to proximity to trolley, free parking for diamonds, and potential suite upgrades for gold/diamond. I never had problems with the trains, but I am not a light sleeper.
Thank you for the great tips, sounds like some decent options for drinks and food. I think we will give it a try, getting 111 MVP rate vs 199 at Hilton Bayfront.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mmo
Thank you for the great tips, sounds like some decent options for drinks and food. I think we will give it a try, getting 111 MVP rate vs 199 at Hilton Bayfront.
Plenty of good food and drinking around there. The trolley is actually behind the hotel (not a couple blocks away). Little Italy neighborhood is a couple blocks away. The construction at the County Admin building is complete so instead of staring at parking lots you get a huge new park.
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/Waterfrontpark.html
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:55 pm
mmo

Originally Posted by skunker
Plenty of good food and drinking around there. The trolley is actually behind the hotel (not a couple blocks away). Little Italy neighborhood is a couple blocks away. The construction at the County Admin building is complete so instead of staring at parking lots you get a huge new park.
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/Waterfrontpark.html
Oh wow that park looks really nice! Thank you for sharing this with me!!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:15 pm
mmo

Just back from a 2 night stay and had a wonderful time! We go to SD quite often but this was our first time at this hotel. The location was awesome, trolley right behind the hotel. Little Italy a couple of blocks away. We were given room 403 which had view of ocean, new park and a side window overlooking the pool. Room was spacious and clean. Lobby is also newly done and lovely. The price was also good for a weekend in SD. Staff was very nice. We were in town to see Paul McCartney at Petco Park, my daughter also joined us from SDSU. Great weekend!! We will stay again for sure!
Old May 14, 2017, 3:16 pm

San Diego Hampton Inn Downtown

Any advice? We will be staying there soon and plan to check in online as soon as possible. I have checked Yelp and Trip advisor and it appears we need to choose a room facing the front (I must figure out "what" rooms are facing the front..). Figured you guys (flyer talk folks) are the experts so you might have suggests of rooms/areas we should book or avoid, etc.

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jiminycricket
Any advice? We will be staying there soon and plan to check in online as soon as possible. I have checked Yelp and Trip advisor and it appears we need to choose a room facing the front (I must figure out "what" rooms are facing the front..). Figured you guys (flyer talk folks) are the experts so you might have suggests of rooms/areas we should book or avoid, etc.

Thanks!
Anything facing PCH should help you avoid train noise, if that sort of thing bugs you. In the past, they've comped parking for Diamonds...not sure if this still applies. Have always found the staff helpful and willing to upgrade Diamonds to a suite if available.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Anything facing PCH should help you avoid train noise, if that sort of thing bugs you. In the past, they've comped parking for Diamonds...not sure if this still applies. Have always found the staff helpful and willing to upgrade Diamonds to a suite if available.
Thanks!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Old May 15, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I have stayed here ~15 or more times over the past decade+ the location is ok for a downtown hotel, quite a bit of a walk to the gaslamp district if going there though. The hotel is fine but nothing special as it is an older hotel. I like their parking situation better than any of the other downtown HH hotels though as it does not require valet service (nor is it offered) and is in the 2 floor garage beneath the hotel rooms. Unfortunately this hotel discontinued the free parking for Diamonds a couple years ago. Now most all HH hotels in the SD area charge for parking regardless of location.

Agree with comments about getting a room in the front (west facing) of the building away from the train tracks right on the other side of the building. In all my stays there I have never had a room on the east side of the building, but those that did that I traveled with complained that it sounded like the train was coming right through their room. It has never bothered me though in all my stays.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I have stayed here ~15 or more times over the past decade+ the location is ok for a downtown hotel, quite a bit of a walk to the gaslamp district if going there though. The hotel is fine but nothing special as it is an older hotel. I like their parking situation better than any of the other downtown HH hotels though as it does not require valet service (nor is it offered) and is in the 2 floor garage beneath the hotel rooms. Unfortunately this hotel discontinued the free parking for Diamonds a couple years ago. Now most all HH hotels in the SD area charge for parking regardless of location.

Agree with comments about getting a room in the front (west facing) of the building away from the train tracks right on the other side of the building. In all my stays there I have never had a room on the east side of the building, but those that did that I traveled with complained that it sounded like the train was coming right through their room. It has never bothered me though in all my stays.
Gaslamp is becoming increasingly irrelevant for those who want to avoid the convention crowds. Little Italy is exploding with fun places, and it's mere steps from the Hampton.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'm on a third floor room facing the interior (non) courtyard (it's just a concrete plaza with some unfilled tree-sized planter boxes)...and train noise is minimal. A bit of a low-level subsonic from time to time, easily drowned out by the air conditioning PTAC units.

The location of the hotel (one block to the very clean trolley/light rail, three stops to the Convention Center for $2.50 one way) and the room size and relatively new upgraded soft goods make it an above-average Hampton Inn IMO. There is a bit of a rabbit-warren layout to the hallways and the elevators are a bit slow, but overall, a quite acceptable stay.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed here last night. Early checkin was not an issue, I only asked to drop bags. I was given a north side room with a view of the neighboring church roof. No real train noise until late night, when a few freight trains go through? Hallway noise was a minor issue early in the evening. the mattress seemed cheap and was low density, sleep quality could have been better. Breakfast was somewhat delayed so I bailed and took an earlier airport shuttle than planned given recent TSA drama.

For location alone I will likely be back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.