Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston {US-SC}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston {US-SC}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
Arrow Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston {US-SC}

I have stayed at this particular ES numerous times and have never experienced a problem. It is perhaps my favorite Emabssy Suites due to the history of the building, as original home of The Citadel.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by dapastaguy
I have stayed at this particular ES numerous times and have never experienced a problem. It is perhaps my favorite Emabssy Suites due to the history of the building, as original home of The Citadel.
I feel the same way - haven't ever had any problems and do love the history of it, plus the proximity to Francis Marion Park right next door. I'm glad to hear that they at least knocked one night off for the OP....in my experience, their service has always been pretty good.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Hilton - Charleston

Glad no one else had bad experiences at this location. Location is great with new shopping outlets near by. Hopefully this was just an isolated problem. Housekeeping said they were behind due to " hotel room inspections" to get their grade.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/Hilton Diamond/National EL
Which ES are you talking about. There is one downtown, that appears everyone else is talking about, and one by the airport and the convention center which I think you are talking about. I have stayed at the Airport ES many times and had good service. Only issue was some crazy lady that always stayed there that the staff had to show to her room. Rumor is this happens often with this woman.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jvenneman
Which ES are you talking about. There is one downtown, that appears everyone else is talking about, and one by the airport and the convention center which I think you are talking about. I have stayed at the Airport ES many times and had good service. Only issue was some crazy lady that always stayed there that the staff had to show to her room. Rumor is this happens often with this woman.
I was speaking of the downtown ES but, after reading the OP, I don't know if that was the one being referenced. I have stayed at the other ES also and never had an issue there, excpet for the fact that they hide the free drinks during the reception on the other side of the atrium from the bar.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
I've been at the ES Downtown Charleston for the last two nights and so far have had only good experiences, with the exception of some noise at night that I think is coming from the pool area.

Location is great and they did a good job of renovating the old Citadel. I'd definitely return.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:10 am

I have spent alot of time at both. The downtown ES is cool, it is the old building, and some rooms still have the gun holes. The problem on the first floor is the windows are really high. The food in the restaurant hasn't been as good as in the past. You can get free parking at the hotel if you are diamond.

The Airport ES is nice, but they fly C17 out of the airport, so it can get noisy.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Sorry - I was referring to the Embassy by the airport/convention center. Was attending a convention on-site.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:40 am

Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston

Hi

I couldn't find much info on this property. Thinking of spending my QF3N's there in the summer - does anyone have any experience? How are the rooms? What sort of upgrade does Diamond get? Any other benefits?

And is July very unpleasant weatherwise?

Thanks a lot
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

This is a very historic building, the site of the original Citadel (Military College of SC). Rooms are smallish when compared to other ES properties. I have no experience as a Diamond there, but have enjoyed my stays there. It is not downtown but there is plenty to do in the area of the hotel.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold, HiltonHHonors Diamond VIP, Rapid Rewards, Starwood Gold, Alaska Air MVP
Go to the Doubletree Historic District instead. It's right in the middle of everything; the horse carriages load right outside the front door, all the best restaurants are within 3 blocks, the waterfront is about 3 blocks away, it's right next to the old marketplace, etc. It's a great property. Make sure you ask for the breakfast coupons when you check in...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
I stayed there about a month ago and quite enjoyed it. We got a corner room that had a "study" (ie, 2 desks and an armoire) off to the side of the bedroom, so the sleeping area was a tad cramped and had a queen bed instead of a king, but lots of space in the living room. The bathroom was fairly small.

Not sure about room upgrades, as this was the room we booked. I asked about getting a king bed at check in, but they told me that our room was much better than anything they had available.

Location is at the edge of the historic district, they told us not to walk north of the Visitor's Center, which is a couple blocks away from the hotel. Nonetheless, we found it convenient and close enough to walk just about everywhere in the historic district. As diamond, they comped valet parking. Internet was free (for everyone, I think).

Breakfast was typical ES fare. Overall good. It was in a restaurant off to the side of the hallway past reception that got a bit crowded on a couple of the days we were there. I think they might have additional space that they open up if it gets overly crowded.

Staff were all quite friendly and accommodating. The building itself is interesting from a historical standpoint. I'd definitely stay there again.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:34 pm

I have spent alot of time there. Service has gone down in the last few years. Rooms are small, first floor rooms still have gun ports, rooms are hot, and park next door can get interesting at dark.

I forgot about the Doubletree, much better if you are on vacation.

Michael
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:52 am

I agree completely with SteveinDanville - go to the Doubletree Historic District instead. It's a much better hotel in an absolutely unbeatable location.

As for the weather in July, well, I would not call it "very unpleasant," but it will be hot and humid. And we are in hurricane season now, though early fall is generally the riskier time here in the Carolinas. But there's no way you should let either of these stop you from visiting one of this country's truly great cities.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:55 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Thumbs down Review: Embassy Suites historic Charleston,SC

Yuk. I'm not able to hang out here like I used to, but I'm making the time to warn you guys to avoid this property!

I've spent hundreds of nights in the various suites properties of Hilton. They are usually predictable - a bit of a cookie cutter experience, but few bad surprises.

This property is atypical in many respects. While it is true that it is a rennovation of a historic building, what that effectively means is that there is only one small window in the entire suite, and you have to climb on your bed to see out of it. My first room was on a high floor with two double beds - both jammed against the wall on either side of the very small bedroom. So I literally had to stand on the bed to open and close the curtains. I asked for a room change with a better window setup - and they moved me to a first floor room while I was out - but it had a shutter over it so there was no view at all !! I was afraid to complain again - there may still be a dungeon!

The restaurant is a joke. Breakfast is predictable enough. But lunch and dinner fare is some of the worst i've ever had. Example: Potato soup turned out to be a bowl of some concoction thicker than mashed potatoes - greasy with burned potato peels mixed throughout. The New York strip was thin, greasy, and almost flavorless.

If the market area or the carriage rides, or other central attractions are important to you, It's a very long walk to the market area of Charleston.

When I politely mentioned the room disappointment at checkout - after they asked - the manager told me I should understand the differences in a historic property. I didn't - but now I do. And it's not a quaint, interesting difference. Just a limiting one.

My advice? Stay in the Doubletree Suites right at the center of the market area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.