FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea {US-NY} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/677753-hilton-garden-inn-new-york-manhattan-chelsea-us-ny.html)

DCBob Apr 1, 2007 7:29 am

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea {US-NY}

According to hilton.com, the Hilton Garden Inn New York/Chelsea "will be joining the Hilton Family soon but is not yet accepting reservations." It is scheduled to open in July 2007 and is a category 5 hotel. The hotel's address is 119 West 28th Street, New York, New York.
It seems pretty late not to yet be taking reservations for a hotel opening next month.

Does anyone know anything about this new hotel? Is it a new building or a renovation of an old building or a reflagging of another hotel?

DCBob Apr 1, 2007 11:51 am

OK, are there any New York City residents who have walked past the new hotel who can speak to the status of the construction or renovation? What is currently housed in that building or is it new?

DCBob Apr 2, 2007 5:36 am

To answer one of my own questions, wirednewyork.com had a post in 2005 that said: "At 119-121 W. 28th St., a 70,000-square-foot hotel will also be built."
Therefore, the hotel is a new building.

Can anyone local tell me how that construction is proceeding? I'd like to stay there in June.

DCBob Apr 2, 2007 8:02 pm

Bump.

JDiver Apr 3, 2007 4:15 am

Other than what's here, unless we have an insider member, I suspect more information won't be easily forthcoming. And H His sometimes wildly optimistic about openings, though I suspect they will pull the stops out to be open for the (at least late) summer season.

DCBob Apr 3, 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 7517642)
Other than what's here, unless we have an insider member, I suspect more information won't be easily forthcoming. And HH is sometimes wildly optimistic about openings, though I suspect they will pull the stops out to be open for the summer.

I called the local NYC phone number for the hotel and got a recording that said only two things:

* "The hotel opens in Spring 2007."
* "To book a reservation, go to stayhgi.com." That's the Hilton Garden Inn website which tells you that the hotel is not accepting reservations yet!

SURELY, there is SOMEONE on FT that has walked past the building and can clue us in on the construction status, right?

DCBob Apr 9, 2007 2:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 7517642)
Other than what's [B]And HH is sometimes wildly optimistic about openings, though I suspect they will pull the stops out to be open for the summer.

The Hilton website was recently updated to show a July 2007 opening, so I guess they haven't pulled out all the stops yet. I edited my original post accordingly.

DCBob Apr 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 7521378)
I called the local NYC phone number for the hotel and got a recording that said only two things:

* "The hotel opens in Spring 2007."
* "To book a reservation, go to stayhgi.com." That's the Hilton Garden Inn website which tells you that the hotel is not accepting reservations yet!

SURELY, there is SOMEONE on FT that has walked past the building and can clue us in on the construction status, right?

CALLING ALL MANHATTAN FLYERTALKERS: Please help and give us a report. Thanks.

jwjathome May 1, 2007 3:38 pm

I live on West 29th Street and the back windows of my apartment face the corner of the Hilton. I can see into the rooms at an angle. It appears that some of the furnishings (e.g., beds and desks) are already in place. I have not been around to the front of the building in awhile, so I can't comment on lobby progress.

For the record, it is one of the ugliest buildings to go up in Manhattan in recent memory - and that's saying a lot. It's a black brick building that rises mid-block like an eyesore.

JDiver May 1, 2007 5:07 pm

Gad! When staying there, close the curtains; jwjathome will be able to see you at work or whatever... ;)

DCBob, I guess they are salivating at the prospect of having another hotel in NYC and summer traffic - now we'll see if they can get it open in time, even if it's July.

DCBob May 31, 2007 4:46 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 7671644)
DCBob, I guess they are salivating at the prospect of having another hotel in NYC and summer traffic - now we'll see if they can get it open in time, even if it's July.

Well, since no one on FT could take the time or trouble to walk around to see the front of the building, I did on my Memorial Day weekend stay in NYC (at the W New York). First of all, this new HGI is on one of the UGLIEST blocks in Manhattan -- it is a real dirty, messy area. The hotel itself is nowhere close to being ready for a July opening. Not even all of the windows have been installed yet and they are still putting in drywall! The building isn't pretty, but it's not ugly either -- a combination of slate black and light grey brick is being used in this 30+ story high-rise building. There is also another new building directly behind it (on 29th Street) that is also under construction - just the framework is up on that building, so expect lots of noise if you stay here once it opens -- in September if we are lucky. If you like McDonald's, there is a huge new one open a half block away on the corner of 28th & 6th Avenue.

DCBob Jul 1, 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 7671644)
Gad! When staying there, close the curtains; jwjathome will be able to see you at work or whatever... ;)

Well, the official word is that it won't open in July. I e-mailed the director of sales and she said:

"We have had a delay in opening. We are looking to open mid August. We are in the process of updating the website."

I still stand by my prediction made in May that it won't open until September. :mad:

DCBob Sep 3, 2007 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 7986420)
Well, the official word is that it won't open in July. I e-mailed the director of sales and she said:

"We have had a delay in opening. We are looking to open mid August. We are in the process of updating the website."

I still stand by my prediction made in May that it won't open until September. :mad:

Well, I was right. Not only did the hotel NOT open in August, it is no longer listed ANYWHERE on the Hilton website. I even clicked on the previously bookmarked page for this hotel and the result was a blank page. What gives?

777Lover2 Sep 8, 2007 6:24 am

Any Info on New Hilton Garden Inn New York/Chelsea Opening in May 2007

I was in the back of a taxi stuck in traffic yesterday and we idled for a moment in front of the new HGI mentioned here. It is in the " flower district " in Chelsea, midblock. The neighborhood is in a transition state, it isn't a bad neighborhood but for those of you not in NYC you may not like it. Not many restaurants unless you walk to either 7th or 6th Avenues and it is fairly quiet at night. The place looked as though it was still in the finishing touches state and not yet open. This neighborhood is not the most polished in NYC so many will find the streets a bit littered if not at times dirty. There is a downscale wholesale district nearby, but also very close to Macy's Herald Square to the north and also close to the Empire State Building. There are top notch restaurants to the east closer to Madison Square Park. Taxis are plentiful and easy to catch on busy 6th and 7th Avenues nearby. It is the trend in NYC for HGI, HI, and also Holiday Inn Expresses to open properties midblock in commercial non-touristy areas. Let me know if you need further info. on the location, etc. of this property.

cordelli Sep 8, 2007 9:43 pm

It's on the website.

They changed the information to say this

This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in September 2007.

It is interesting they are not taking reservations yet.

I use to work just a couple blocks from there (26th), and I honestly never felt safe in that neighborhood after dark, especially very late at night. The club crowd from some of the after hours clubs, the occasional shooting in the wholesale places, etc.

We left there a year and a half ago, so the neighborhood may have changed, but I don't know if it has or not.

777Lover2 Sep 9, 2007 5:57 am

Any Info on New Hilton Garden Inn New York/Chelsea Opening in May 2007

I disagree. This is not a dangerous nor unsafe neighborhood. Many residental high-rise apt. buildings have been built in the immediate area in recent years, and there are many businesses/restaurants/delis open in the area late if not all night. One must excercise good judgement and caution late at night anywhere. I have felt unsafe in suburban parking lots of Hilton properties. NYC has a low crime rate compared to other large American cities, and Hilton would not build a property in an area that was ' sleazy ' or unsafe. It's an area of downscale wholesale businesses and light industry, becoming quiet at night. As previously stated nearby 6th and 7th Avenues are busy and lively and well lit at all hours of the night.

TravisMT81 Sep 11, 2007 10:24 pm

has it opened yet?

pitflyer Sep 12, 2007 10:55 am

Still not taking reservations online.

DCBob Sep 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Any Info on Hilton Garden Inn New York/Chelsea Opening in October 2007?

Latest update per the HGI website:

This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in October 2007.

Anyone want to bet it won't open until 2008?

DCBob Oct 21, 2007 6:00 am

Originally Posted by TravisMT81 (Post 8389130)
has it opened yet?

It's now open at last! Rates for tonight (October 21, 2007) start at $311 (government rate). If you are not a government employee, the lowest rate is $499.

BearX220 Nov 12, 2007 12:12 pm

Was contemplating an award stay here in spring 2008, but thanks to an FTer who knows the neighborhood I am going to the HGI Times Square instead. Thanks for the steer.

visitant Nov 15, 2007 10:30 pm

I stayed last weekend

And it was fine. With so many NYC hotels over $300/night and little weekend award availability at the other Hilton properties, I was pleased to find availability here. Front desk staff was very helpful, and the facility itself was one of the best HGIs I've seen. Like many NYC hotels, long wait for elevators at peak times. The servers seemed overwhelmed at breakfast Sunday morning, but were pleasant. Maybe still learning the ropes.

Conveniently near Penn Station and the little Korean district, which has some great, reasonably priced food.

The street is loaded with wholesale florist shops, so there are lots of interesting plants to look at as you walk by during the day. Oddball stuff destined for wedding receptions and building lobbies: birch tree segments, rattan spheres, cotton plants... Street didn't seem unsafe.

sallyerd Nov 16, 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 8717440)
Was contemplating an award stay here in spring 2008, but thanks to an FTer who knows the neighborhood I am going to the HGI Times Square instead. Thanks for the steer.

Can you share the details or jist?

adottavio Nov 26, 2007 4:09 am

they opened finally in october 2007 this is where i booked my new years eve reservations at an employee discount.

adottavio Nov 26, 2007 4:10 am

THEY ARE OPEN AND TAKING RESERVATIONS AS OF THE END OF OCTOBER.

=DCBob;8419553]Latest update per the HGI website:

This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in October 2007.

Anyone want to bet it won't open until 2008?[/QUOTE]

BrianGa Dec 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Does anyone know if there is an executive floor here? Any reports on treatment of Gold members? Thanks.

MichaelColey Jun 15, 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by BrianGa (Post 10974536)
Does anyone know if there is an executive floor here? Any reports on treatment of Gold members? Thanks.

I'm curious about this as well. This is one property I'm considering for an upcoming trip.

DCBob Jun 16, 2009 1:30 am

Originally Posted by BrianGa (Post 10974536)

No, there is no Executive Floor and all the rooms are pretty much identical, although you can get a better view of the Empire State Building if you ask and it's available. If you are looking for special treatment, there is not much to offer even a Diamond at this property. All rooms have LCD HD cable TV with lots of channels, which is unusual for any Hilton property and was the highlight of my stay there.

kgbreb Nov 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Trip Report

Stayed Mon, Nov. 16 - Thurs, Nov. 19, 2009.

Took a cab from JFK, driver knew the location.

Check in was a breeze, but when I got to my room it smelled like someone had been smoking in the room. I called down to the front desk and they gave me two options of other rooms to move to. They sent the bellman to the new floor and I met him there with new keys in hand.

As a gold was given breakfast coupons without requesting them. Food was good, though I would not have paid the $17 they were asking for it.

Room was standard for NYC (small), but as it is a rather new hotel, the furnature was nice.

I was able to walk around with no problems (feeling safe). Made it in to Times Square for a couple of shows after work in the evenings. The walk took me about 15 minutes. 28th Street itself is a bit shut down after dark, but I didn't feel unsafe at all.

All in all a good stay, especially $171 a night (advanced puchase).

Respectfully submitted,
KGBREB

ORDnHKG Aug 31, 2010 4:07 pm

HGI Chelsea, NYC refused to accomodate my handicap friend

During a MR ORD-LGA-ORD, I also decided to rack up some stays for HHonors. I have stayed in this property during one of the MR just two weeks ago, it seems fine like other HGI, breakfast coupon, got my preference smoking high floor room. So I decided to come back since it had a low rate the past sunday (8/31) for one night stay.

My friend picked me up from LGA and headed to the hotel, he broke his leg a week ago, so he had a cast on his left foot, he can certainly walk, but not for a far distance. He had been to this property two weeks ago when I was there, no problem, he knew that he can park his car not too far from the hotel on 28th. When we got there, the entire block on 28th between 6th and 7th was blocked off to shot a movie scene, and the hotel is located in the middle of that block. Therefore, no one can really drive inside that block to park or drop off. There is nowhere to park on 27th or 26th either, as all the movie trucks had used up all the parking space along the street.

I went in to checkin and see what I can do for my friend, was told there is nothing they can do about it since I am on a prepaid rate, and they didn't know the movie shooting in advance. (which I really questioned about it) Since I cannot convince them to do anything for my temporary handicap friend, so my friend decided to call up the manager that I had spoken to at the front desk. The manager totally refuse to do anything, refuse to move us to another property (there is a DT on 29th right behind HGI and HI on 24th), refuse about giving any credit for future stay, just about any compensation we have inquired about, all he was kept saying "What do you want me to do ?" but without actually doing anything, totally incompentent. Not to mention the movie shoot also stopped any guest from going in and out from the hotel for several 30 min intervals at a time during the day as I can see. We had waited there for an hour try to find a solution and nothing seems working, so my friend just drove me around as my room wasn't available at the time, even past the normal checkin time at 3pm no one ever call and tell us the room is ready. Not until around 6pm then my friend found a spot at the corner of 28th and 6th ave, and finally have our room.

I can accept there is an unexpected movie shoot, but refusing to accomodate my temporary handicap friend is unacceptable, I am not even sure if the hotel violate any ADA acts.

Any suggestion what I can do about it ?

7Continents Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm

Your post is a bit disjointed, but I gather that you wanted the hotel to put you up in another hotel because there was no parking close by?

1. The hotel doesn't control the streets.
2. You reserved a room, not a moving walkway.
3. Filming is a bit of an industry in manhattan, and they do get permits to use the streets.
4. While I surely agree you were inconvenienced, it doesn't sound like it was in connection with anything the hotel had control over. Also, I'm sure if you would have tapped any of the film crew and told them your friend needed a lift, I bet they would have gone out of their way to help, as not inconveniencing the locals is a part of their permit to shoot.

Please feel free to requalify your impression.

MoreMilesPlease Aug 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I think in some ways the OP has a legitimate complaint.

It sounds like he asked to be moved to a different hotel for the night. As we know many of the hotels are owned by an umbrella comapny and they do have the ability to move guests around. It sounds like the OP was even willing to go to another hotel at, his personal expense, in exchange for a voucher for a future night stay. The hotel could have been nice and provided either one of these since they acknowledged the guest inconvenience.

If I was the OP I would make sure that Corporate Hilton was aware of the attitude of the employees of this Hilton.

cordelli Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm

You are joking, right? Probably not, but that's how it is in New York. When they move onto a block to do filming, residents and businesses get two days notice (required by law) and that's about it.

They take up both sides of the street, and delivery trucks and the rest double park.

I don't possibly see how you could expect anything from the hotel on this one.

If you didn't have a prepaid rate you could probably cancel that room and get another one, but that's one of the risks with a prepaid rate.

If you had a complaint at all (which I don't believe you do) it is with the city's film department who is responsible for enforcing the filming permits. But I doubt they were in violation of their permits.

I'm totally at a loss as to what you expected the hotel do to do for you, or how you believe the hotel to have violated any ADA requirements because a company not associated with them at all was legally filming on the street in front of the hotel.

ironmanjay Aug 31, 2010 5:32 pm

if your friend had a broken leg, didnt he have a wheelchair or crutches to walk half a block to the hotel?

why should the hotel have to lend a hand or leg ;) your friend if the movie studios have closed the roads? you should have asked the movie guys to help out. He may have been a good supporting actor :p

its these kinds of ridiculous requests from hotel guests that have hotels dishing out bad treatment to regular customers.

sbm12 Aug 31, 2010 5:39 pm

FWIW, the on-street notices of filming generally only get put up a couple days in advance. So the folks at the hotel most likely didn't know it was happening.

As for how to deal with it, I'd just borrow a bell cart and wheel my broken buddy back to the hotel. But expecting the hotel to refund your stay because there wasn't parking available on the block is a bit excessive and it is certainly not an ADA violation.

From NYC Aug 31, 2010 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14580676)
FWIW, the on-street notices of filming generally only get put up a couple days in advance. So the folks at the hotel most likely didn't know it was happening.

As for how to deal with it, I'd just borrow a bell cart and wheel my broken buddy back to the hotel. But expecting the hotel to refund your stay because there wasn't parking available on the block is a bit excessive and it is certainly not an ADA violation.

+1.

But there's one other part I don't quite get: even if the hotel had known days in advance, are you suggesting that they should've contacted in advance everyone with a reservation to let them know this, or that they should've somehow known your friend had just broken his leg? You see, while the film permit may be for a certain day(s), there's no guarantee that, if it's pouring rain that day, the company would film on the street in the rain instead of at an indoor location, known as a "cover set", and come back on a clear day.

I know this because I used to work in the business on the production side. Had you mentioned your friend's problem to one of the film crew, they would've helped to get your friend to the hotel; no, they wouldn't necessarily have allowed him to park on the street or drive up to the hotel, but they would've helped get him get there.

I'm just amazed that you found, as it seems you have in the past, a parking space right by the hotel. Street parking in Manhattan is not such an easy thing to come by.

cfischer Aug 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 14580184)

Any suggestion what I can do about it ?

How about: whine some place else?

The hotel refused to accomodate your friend? How? The street was blocked which is hardly the fault of the hotel and why should they refund a non-refunable rate in this case?

I agree the hotel could have tried a bit harder to please a regular Elite customer, but they owe you nothing.

ORDnHKG Aug 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by From NYC (Post 14580747)

I know this because I used to work in the business on the production side. Had you mentioned your friend's problem to one of the film crew, they would've helped to get your friend to the hotel; no, they wouldn't necessarily have allowed him to park on the street or drive up to the hotel, but they would've helped get him get there.

Originally Posted by 7Continents (Post 14580415)
Also, I'm sure if you would have tapped any of the film crew and told them your friend needed a lift, I bet they would have gone out of their way to help, as not inconveniencing the locals is a part of their permit to shoot.

Originally Posted by ironmanjay (Post 14580641)
why should the hotel have to lend a hand or leg ;) your friend if the movie studios have closed the roads? you should have asked the movie guys to help out. He may have been a good supporting actor :p

Actually tried that, the way my friend was hoping to get his car park as close to the hotel, but the film crew just refused, as there actually is a public lot across from the hotel. We were hoping to park in the lot and ask the hotel to reimburse or discount whatever it is, but was told that lot also used by the film crew even though there was no car in there the whole time.

Originally Posted by From NYC (Post 14580747)
I'm just amazed that you found, as it seems you have in the past, a parking space right by the hotel. Street parking in Manhattan is not such an easy thing to come by.

Actually that part of 28th between 6th and 7th is a ghost town on sunday, as it was all occupied by wholesale and flower stores, and all those stores only open on weekdays I believe, and I don't see it is a residential or shopping area either. Therefore, plenty of parking.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14580676)

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 14580895)

The hotel refused to accomodate your friend? How? The street was blocked which is hardly the fault of the hotel and why should they refund a non-refunable rate in this case?

I agree the hotel could have tried a bit harder to please a regular Elite customer, but they owe you nothing.

You are correct, the hotel owe me nothing, and I am not asking the hotel to refund my room, only want something back or be moved to the DT or HI nearby, only want to see the hotel more accomodating. Had it been HI with the 100% satisfaction guranteed, I would be getting some gift cards. (had gotten those in the past also on a prepaid rate.) But the manager reply was simply no to anything, even as a return guest.

Originally Posted by ironmanjay (Post 14580641)
its these kinds of ridiculous requests from hotel guests that have hotels dishing out bad treatment to regular customers.

I don't think it is ridiculous request. How would you feel if you have to walk in clutches for 3 or more blocks, especially when the doctor told you that you are not really supposed to walk or it would take a long time to heel ?

While we were in the hotel lobby, elevator, everyone were complained about the same thing, as other guests were stopped from going in and out of the hotel as well on many 30 min intervals, because of the filming. Maybe I am the only whistleblower, doesn't mean there are not any diamonds and golds in the hotel were happy about the situation either.

And I am certainly not a complainer, as I have been in FT that long, I have seen a lot more ridiculous request in this forum than my issue. Had my friend not have a broken leg and get no help from the hotel, I wouldn't even make this post in the first place, I would just see this as a minor inconvenience, as I have been to other hotels where they are filming, or hotel strike.

RAPC Sep 1, 2010 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 14581001)
I don't think it is ridiculous request. How would you feel if you have to walk in clutches for 3 or more blocks, especially when the doctor told you that you are not really supposed to walk or it would take a long time to heel ?

Well if that was the medical opinion, then I certainly wouldn't be driving / being driven about and going to a hotel. I'd be keeping the leg rested at home and following medical advice. That would be my problem though and not the problem of a hotel if I chose to ignore that advice.

hawaiiansports Sep 1, 2010 1:49 am

You need to edit the title of your post. Your friend is not handicapped.

Honestly, you sound like you are po'd because you couldn't get something out of the situation.