FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea {US-NY} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/677753-hilton-garden-inn-new-york-manhattan-chelsea-us-ny.html)

7Continents Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm

Your post is a bit disjointed, but I gather that you wanted the hotel to put you up in another hotel because there was no parking close by?

1. The hotel doesn't control the streets.
2. You reserved a room, not a moving walkway.
3. Filming is a bit of an industry in manhattan, and they do get permits to use the streets.
4. While I surely agree you were inconvenienced, it doesn't sound like it was in connection with anything the hotel had control over. Also, I'm sure if you would have tapped any of the film crew and told them your friend needed a lift, I bet they would have gone out of their way to help, as not inconveniencing the locals is a part of their permit to shoot.

Please feel free to requalify your impression.

MoreMilesPlease Aug 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I think in some ways the OP has a legitimate complaint.

It sounds like he asked to be moved to a different hotel for the night. As we know many of the hotels are owned by an umbrella comapny and they do have the ability to move guests around. It sounds like the OP was even willing to go to another hotel at, his personal expense, in exchange for a voucher for a future night stay. The hotel could have been nice and provided either one of these since they acknowledged the guest inconvenience.

If I was the OP I would make sure that Corporate Hilton was aware of the attitude of the employees of this Hilton.

cordelli Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm

You are joking, right? Probably not, but that's how it is in New York. When they move onto a block to do filming, residents and businesses get two days notice (required by law) and that's about it.

They take up both sides of the street, and delivery trucks and the rest double park.

I don't possibly see how you could expect anything from the hotel on this one.

If you didn't have a prepaid rate you could probably cancel that room and get another one, but that's one of the risks with a prepaid rate.

If you had a complaint at all (which I don't believe you do) it is with the city's film department who is responsible for enforcing the filming permits. But I doubt they were in violation of their permits.

I'm totally at a loss as to what you expected the hotel do to do for you, or how you believe the hotel to have violated any ADA requirements because a company not associated with them at all was legally filming on the street in front of the hotel.

ironmanjay Aug 31, 2010 5:32 pm

if your friend had a broken leg, didnt he have a wheelchair or crutches to walk half a block to the hotel?

why should the hotel have to lend a hand or leg ;) your friend if the movie studios have closed the roads? you should have asked the movie guys to help out. He may have been a good supporting actor :p

its these kinds of ridiculous requests from hotel guests that have hotels dishing out bad treatment to regular customers.

sbm12 Aug 31, 2010 5:39 pm

FWIW, the on-street notices of filming generally only get put up a couple days in advance. So the folks at the hotel most likely didn't know it was happening.

As for how to deal with it, I'd just borrow a bell cart and wheel my broken buddy back to the hotel. But expecting the hotel to refund your stay because there wasn't parking available on the block is a bit excessive and it is certainly not an ADA violation.

From NYC Aug 31, 2010 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14580676)
FWIW, the on-street notices of filming generally only get put up a couple days in advance. So the folks at the hotel most likely didn't know it was happening.

As for how to deal with it, I'd just borrow a bell cart and wheel my broken buddy back to the hotel. But expecting the hotel to refund your stay because there wasn't parking available on the block is a bit excessive and it is certainly not an ADA violation.

+1.

But there's one other part I don't quite get: even if the hotel had known days in advance, are you suggesting that they should've contacted in advance everyone with a reservation to let them know this, or that they should've somehow known your friend had just broken his leg? You see, while the film permit may be for a certain day(s), there's no guarantee that, if it's pouring rain that day, the company would film on the street in the rain instead of at an indoor location, known as a "cover set", and come back on a clear day.

I know this because I used to work in the business on the production side. Had you mentioned your friend's problem to one of the film crew, they would've helped to get your friend to the hotel; no, they wouldn't necessarily have allowed him to park on the street or drive up to the hotel, but they would've helped get him get there.

I'm just amazed that you found, as it seems you have in the past, a parking space right by the hotel. Street parking in Manhattan is not such an easy thing to come by.

cfischer Aug 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 14580184)

Any suggestion what I can do about it ?

How about: whine some place else?

The hotel refused to accomodate your friend? How? The street was blocked which is hardly the fault of the hotel and why should they refund a non-refunable rate in this case?

I agree the hotel could have tried a bit harder to please a regular Elite customer, but they owe you nothing.

ORDnHKG Aug 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by From NYC (Post 14580747)

I know this because I used to work in the business on the production side. Had you mentioned your friend's problem to one of the film crew, they would've helped to get your friend to the hotel; no, they wouldn't necessarily have allowed him to park on the street or drive up to the hotel, but they would've helped get him get there.

Originally Posted by 7Continents (Post 14580415)
Also, I'm sure if you would have tapped any of the film crew and told them your friend needed a lift, I bet they would have gone out of their way to help, as not inconveniencing the locals is a part of their permit to shoot.

Originally Posted by ironmanjay (Post 14580641)
why should the hotel have to lend a hand or leg ;) your friend if the movie studios have closed the roads? you should have asked the movie guys to help out. He may have been a good supporting actor :p

Actually tried that, the way my friend was hoping to get his car park as close to the hotel, but the film crew just refused, as there actually is a public lot across from the hotel. We were hoping to park in the lot and ask the hotel to reimburse or discount whatever it is, but was told that lot also used by the film crew even though there was no car in there the whole time.

Originally Posted by From NYC (Post 14580747)
I'm just amazed that you found, as it seems you have in the past, a parking space right by the hotel. Street parking in Manhattan is not such an easy thing to come by.

Actually that part of 28th between 6th and 7th is a ghost town on sunday, as it was all occupied by wholesale and flower stores, and all those stores only open on weekdays I believe, and I don't see it is a residential or shopping area either. Therefore, plenty of parking.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14580676)

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 14580895)

The hotel refused to accomodate your friend? How? The street was blocked which is hardly the fault of the hotel and why should they refund a non-refunable rate in this case?

I agree the hotel could have tried a bit harder to please a regular Elite customer, but they owe you nothing.

You are correct, the hotel owe me nothing, and I am not asking the hotel to refund my room, only want something back or be moved to the DT or HI nearby, only want to see the hotel more accomodating. Had it been HI with the 100% satisfaction guranteed, I would be getting some gift cards. (had gotten those in the past also on a prepaid rate.) But the manager reply was simply no to anything, even as a return guest.

Originally Posted by ironmanjay (Post 14580641)
its these kinds of ridiculous requests from hotel guests that have hotels dishing out bad treatment to regular customers.

I don't think it is ridiculous request. How would you feel if you have to walk in clutches for 3 or more blocks, especially when the doctor told you that you are not really supposed to walk or it would take a long time to heel ?

While we were in the hotel lobby, elevator, everyone were complained about the same thing, as other guests were stopped from going in and out of the hotel as well on many 30 min intervals, because of the filming. Maybe I am the only whistleblower, doesn't mean there are not any diamonds and golds in the hotel were happy about the situation either.

And I am certainly not a complainer, as I have been in FT that long, I have seen a lot more ridiculous request in this forum than my issue. Had my friend not have a broken leg and get no help from the hotel, I wouldn't even make this post in the first place, I would just see this as a minor inconvenience, as I have been to other hotels where they are filming, or hotel strike.

RAPC Sep 1, 2010 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 14581001)
I don't think it is ridiculous request. How would you feel if you have to walk in clutches for 3 or more blocks, especially when the doctor told you that you are not really supposed to walk or it would take a long time to heel ?

Well if that was the medical opinion, then I certainly wouldn't be driving / being driven about and going to a hotel. I'd be keeping the leg rested at home and following medical advice. That would be my problem though and not the problem of a hotel if I chose to ignore that advice.

hawaiiansports Sep 1, 2010 1:49 am

You need to edit the title of your post. Your friend is not handicapped.

Honestly, you sound like you are po'd because you couldn't get something out of the situation.

harryhv Sep 1, 2010 3:46 am

Not a lot of sympathy here - should have changed the name from "New York" to "Moscow" or "Beijing" and instead of "Film Shoot" say "local police".

"As in - the local police in Moscow/Beijing closed down Red Square/Tianemen Square to traffic and also dictated times when we were not allowed to approach or to leave the hotel. This severely inconvenienced my handicapped friend who was forced to make long walks on crutches with his baggage."

JDiver Sep 1, 2010 4:57 am

So, was your friend a registered guest at this hotel? Because it seems to be about him, not about you. And what NYC does / permits with its streets is beyond the control of a hotel manager.

In any case, can we assume you did the right thing - drop your friend at the hotel, and go park the car so you would be the one with the walk, right?

Xyzzy Sep 1, 2010 7:58 am

You're unhappy with the hotel because there was no available street parking in the immediate vicinity? :confused: Regardless of whether it was a normal day, someone was filming a movie, the city was having a parade, or something else, not being able to find a place to park nearby is not the hotel's responsibility. Unless you are parking in the hotel, or using the hotel lot (if there is one) parking is not the responsibility of the hotel. Sorry -- you're expecting way too much here.

fromYXU Sep 1, 2010 8:11 am

It is not the hotel responsibility to figure out how you get there.

cordelli Sep 1, 2010 8:28 am

Had it been HI with the 100% satisfaction guranteed, I would be getting some gift cards. (had gotten those in the past also on a prepaid rate.) But the manager reply was simply no to anything, even as a return guest.

Betting you would not have been getting gift cards. Or getting them to pay for parking, or anything else.

I'm willing to bet that there is nobody in the New York area who deals with the filmings every day who actually believes you had to walk over three blocks because they were filming. He couldn't get out of the car on 6th or 7th Ave and just walk the half block to the lobby? There are well over a dozen parking lots within two blocks of that hotel, there's no way they were all taken up with the film crews. If he had to walk over three blocks it was by choice.

Once again, your complaint is not with the hotel, but with the fact you couldn't get parking right out front like you wanted. Imagine that on the streets of Manhattan, sometimes parking is not available on the street and you may have had to use a lot.