Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport {CAN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport {CAN}

This new property near the airport( exit 5 on 102 ) is due to open in 2006.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:38 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by belize
This new property near the airport( exit 5 on 102 ) is due to open in 2006.
Nice information, but a bit early don't you think?
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super Larry
Nice information, but a bit early don't you think?
good point Super Larry.I need to be in Halifax in summer of 2005,and the title thread really got me interested.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
good point Super Larry.I need to be in Halifax in summer of 2005,and the title thread really got me interested.
This hotel is going to be built adjacent to the Halifax airport, next to an aircraft component factory. It will be only marginally closer to Halifax proper than Sudbury.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
So it is for me! I go to Halifax regularly and the closest Hilton property is in St-John, NB...

So I was looking forward for an Hilton property...but a bit earlier than 2006, assuming that there is no delay between now and then...maybe we'll be able to get HH points in Halifax by 2008!!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYZC2
This hotel is going to be built adjacent to the Halifax airport, next to an aircraft component factory. It will be only marginally closer to Halifax proper than Sudbury.

However ,this property will be closer to the so-called center of the universe,than say, Sudbury
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:44 am

Thumbs up Hilton returns to Nova Scotia

The Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport is now open. Welcome back to Nova Scotia hilton! ^
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:30 am

New HGI in Halifax, Nova Scotia

FINALLY!! Hilton arrives in Halifax!

HILTON GARDEN INN OPENS IN HALIFAX
Hilton Hotels Corporation has opened its first Hilton Garden Inn in the Atlantic provinces -- in Halifax.

The 145-room Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport is located minutes from Halifax International Airport and about a 20-minute drive from downtown Halifax.

The newly-constructed Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport is owned and managed by Springfield Hotels (Halifax) Incorporated, a subsidiary of Manga Hotels Inc. and operated under a franchise license agreement with Hilton Inns, Inc., the franchising subsidiary of Beverly Hills-based Hilton Hotels Corporation.

Guest rooms include many new attributes to help provide guests with an enjoyable stay, among them the Garden Sleep System (in king rooms) by Natural Form, Herman Miller Mirra chairs, innovative HGI clocks with easy-to-program alarms and the ability to play a guest’s MP3 or portable CD players, and 26-inch high definition LCD televisions.

The hotel also offers 216 square metres of flexible meeting space, which can accommodate meetings, banquets and events of 10 to 100 guests. Other amenities include recreational facilities consisting of a fully equipped fitness room and an indoor heated swimming pool and whirlpool.

Author: Canadian Travel Press
Organization: Baxter Travel Group
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Does anyone have a trip report for this new Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport? We are planning to stay here for a weekend. It's either here or at the Four Points downtown. The rate we're getting at the Garden Inn is good for a weekend rate; 125$. We don't mind driving to the airport if the hotel is "that good". The hotel is brand new and seems very modern and comfortable. Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I stayed here for one night last month. Same layout as always. Staff was friendly. I took the 750 pts and had to pay for breakfast; breakfast was CAD$11.95 with a choice of omelet, eggs Benedict, or 5oz steak and eggs.

P.S. - the Hilton Canada page still claims that there are no Hilton properties in Nova Scotia. I assume a mod can fix this.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Dec 22, 2007 at 1:27 pm Reason: Forgot to add the P.S.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Does anyone have a trip report for this new Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport? We are planning to stay here for a weekend. It's either here or at the Four Points downtown. The rate we're getting at the Garden Inn is good for a weekend rate; 125$. We don't mind driving to the airport if the hotel is "that good". The hotel is brand new and seems very modern and comfortable. Thanks!
Mrs. Ckccan and I stayed here last year (the property isn't that new), courtesy of our friends at AC on our way to YQY.

The hotel was as you expect for a new property, clean and modern, nothing exciting or spectacular, but comfortable. There is a small dining room downstairs, and limited services (i.e. no 24h room service which I suspect is the same for all HGIs).

There's a shuttle bus to and from the airport which is only a few minutes away.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport = Aging Overpriced Hotel

Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

200 Pratt & Whitney Dr Enfield, NS CA B2T 0A2

Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport = Aging Overpriced Hotel (6 Photos)

I had a quick overnight in Halifax airport and chose Hilton Garden Inn in part because I like the HGI in Ottawa airport and Toronto airport, and also because of the current Hilton promo which is attractive for cheap one-night stays and even earns bonus points for award redemptions.  However I was not very impressed by the hotel and I am not sure I will return.  

The location of the hotel is ok is you have a layover, only 5 minutes away from the airport by shuttle bus.  The shuttle bus operates 24 hours per day, twice every hour. The other options near the airport are slim pickings such as Holiday Inn and Quality Inn, although there is Alt hotel connected to the airport.  YHZ airport is not exactly a key hub with lots of transit passengers so I do not think it is important for lots of travelers to stay at HGI unlike some other cities, so the advantage of the airport location is more muted.  

Room

Diamond members normally do not get room upgrades at the HGI brand so I did not expect an upgrade despite occupancy being low and I did not ask about an upgrade either.  I got the standard room as booked since this was a points redemption. I was disappointed how small the room was relative to HGI YYZ and HGI YOW.  Looking at the floor plan some rooms are a bit larger than mine; on the positive side at least they gave me a room at the end of the hallway on the top floor so it was probably more quiet than other rooms.  I would not say the room is in bad shape, but it’s not exactly in great shape either and definitely a couple of notches below the other two HGIs I visited in Canada which are newer.  The HGI Halifax airport is about 15 years old and it shows.  The room had a microwave and mini-fridge as expected, and the bathroom is functional although it’s a shower in the bathtub which is not as good as a stand-alone shower.  The furniture is aging a bit but for a quick layover it’s ok.  

IMG_1769.jpegIMG_1770.jpegIMG_1771.jpeg

Dining

Like many other HGIs, I found the breakfast to punch above its weight considering the caliber of the hotel.  The strong point is the a la carte menu from which you can order what you want as a Diamond guest and they allowed us to pick 3 items even though we were only 2 guests.  Sometimes I am bored of traditional North American breakfasts at mid-scale hotels but I was pleased to see eggs benedict and breakfast wraps on the menu.  The fruits were only standard hotel fruits however, unlike other HGIs which sometimes have berries.  

IMG_1772.jpegIMG_1773.jpegIMG_1774.jpeg

Service

Service in the hotel was mixed.  Reception barely talked to me at check-in and there was no Diamond recognition and no information about breakfast time, free water, etc.  In the restaurant, service was noticeably better and friendly.  

Overall

Overall it is not a bad hotel, but for a stay in the winter the price difference between staying here versus a hotel downtown is quite modest relative to other cities where an airport hotel is much cheaper than in the city.  I saw full service hotels in prime locations in the downtown Halifax only 20-40 CAD more expensive than HGI for example Westin and Marriott.  The price difference is probably higher in the summer but at least for this time of year, based on what I saw of HGI you would really need to have a strong preference to stay near the airport to pay this kind of money for HGI.  At least for this stay I am glad I paid with points rather than cash.  If I had to stay again near the airport I would probably try the Alt hotel which is right by the terminal and does not require a shuttle bus so it is far more convenient, or I would extend my stay in the city and avoid a one-nighter near the airport.  

Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport = Aging Overpriced Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.