Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deposit on Award stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Deposit on Award stay

Booked two reservations about six weeks ago - five nights using points, two nights using Amex free night certificates at the FLL Hilton beach resort. At the time it said first night was due as a deposit (odd to me on honors points stay) but said OK - then at final screen no charge and same thing with the phone reservation with the certificates.

Last week rebooked the five night stay as the points required dropped.

Today two charges posted to my Amex for about $40 - the first one for the five night stay, the second for the two night stay.

Is this something new? We stayed at the same hotel on points last year and it did not happen. I called and it forwarded me to the central hilton billing number and they said it was the resort fee and said that I would pay a resort fee on the stay and then backed off that when I said there were no resort fees on award stays. Said it was a guarantee and was refundable.

Any insights?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How soon is your stay? Did these post as true charges versus just pending amounts? I'm wondering whether it could be a preauthorization for incidentals during your stay, although $40 sounds awfully low for a full service hotel. OTOH, $40 is on the high side but isn't a surprising amount for a Florida beach property's resort fee (per night).
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How soon is your stay? Did these post as true charges versus just pending amounts? I'm wondering whether it could be a preauthorization for incidentals during your stay, although $40 sounds awfully low for a full service hotel. OTOH, $40 is on the high side but isn't a surprising amount for a Florida beach property's resort fee (per night).
Stay is not for another five months. It is two posted charges, I ignored them when they were pending charges and called when they posted. I wonder why they were showing up so far from after the reservation was made and so far in advance of the stay. The resort fee is $39 a night - so it being one night resort fee for each reservation plus taxes might be the two $44+ charges (I posted $40 but that was just an "about $40"). Just odd with the timing so far after the reservation was made and so far before the stay. And the fact the finance department said a resort fee applied (though he walked that back fast) was concerning.

As I said we stayed there last year on points and there was a "hold" when we arrived but no posted charge in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
The same thing just happened to me with a 10-night award stay at the Hilton Bentley beginning in mid-November. I saw a small "pending" charge on my Amex account shortly after booking the room. A day later, there was a full charge for $39.90. It's not a large sum but I am curious as to the amount and why it happened this time but not in the past. I instigated a Chat with a HIlton Rep. He said he'd open a case and respond via email within 3-5 business days. I'll post the response I receive unless someone else has the answer in the meantime.
fwfdan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Maybe message Hilton Honors Ambassador ?

David
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Update to Charge on Award Stay

Originally Posted by merle123
The same thing just happened to me with a 10-night award stay at the Hilton Bentley beginning in mid-November. I saw a small "pending" charge on my Amex account shortly after booking the room. A day later, there was a full charge for $39.90. It's not a large sum but I am curious as to the amount and why it happened this time but not in the past. I instigated a Chat with a HIlton Rep. He said he'd open a case and respond via email within 3-5 business days. I'll post the response I receive unless someone else has the answer in the meantime.
Over the weekend, I received an email from Hilton Guest Relations stating "we understand that the hotel has been in touch with you... ." The hotel did not contact me but my Amex account has now been credited for the $39.90 charge. All is okay, however, I still have no idea why the charge posted in the first place.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Maybe message Hilton Honors Ambassador ?

David
I messaged them late last night. Hoping to hear back soon. Otherwise might try the Diamond desk or the hotel again (and make sure I am not sent to centralized billing)

Originally Posted by merle123
Over the weekend, I received an email from Hilton Guest Relations stating "we understand that the hotel has been in touch with you... ." The hotel did not contact me but my Amex account has now been credited for the $39.90 charge. All is okay, however, I still have no idea why the charge posted in the first place.
Good to hear... mine was a similar amount - about $41

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.