FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2078305-consolidated-early-check-thread.html)

travelinfoo Jun 6, 2010 7:39 am

It appears the hotels are taking a page from the airlines and charging for simple "niceties" that used to be granted. Now it seems they are unbundling, too, and charging for everything. What is next? Charging us to use the FD to check in?

mnredfox Jun 6, 2010 8:37 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo (Post 14085604)
It appears the hotels are taking a page from the airlines and charging for simple "niceties" that used to be granted. Now it seems they are unbundling, too, and charging for everything. What is next? Charging us to use the FD to check in?

Don't give them any ideas. Or they'll go the RyanAir route and charge to use our own bathrooms.

Abidjan Jun 6, 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 14085809)
Don't give them any ideas. Or they'll go the RyanAir route and charge to use our own bathrooms.

......and bring luggage.

pmaddock Jun 6, 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo (Post 14085586)
It is already offered to those who aren't Diamonds. That's why Diamonds are getting less ER upgrades and the lounges are packed nowadays.
After not getting a ER upgrade on several trips at hotels I frequent, I asked a FD about this. She said NOR-1 paid upgrades are offered to everyone and lots of ppl paying for them. So less complementary ER upgrades even for Diamonds.

Not that I want to defend Hilton or NOR-1 in the least but I have noticed most NOR-1 offers I get these days indicate I'm getting some 'first level' upgrade free due to status. Usually said level is pathetic (e.g. a different view) but status isn't completely thrown out the window - just 95% thrown out.

Again - if you do decide you need to secure an upgrade - negotiate with the hotel's management directly. Keep that upgrade money off Nor-1's books!

jamesteroh Jun 6, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by pmaddock (Post 14087153)
Again - if you do decide you need to secure an upgrade - negotiate with the hotel's management directly. Keep that upgrade money off Nor-1's books!

I would rather keep it off NOR-1's books, but do you stand a better chance of getting an upgrade using NOR-1? I am staying in vegas in 2 weeks at the hilton and a couple NOR-1's came up. If I decline them and ask to pay for an upgrade will the people that selected NOR 1's get priority over me?

jamesteroh Jun 6, 2010 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo (Post 14085604)

It wouldn't surprise me if a late check out is the next thing to be offered by NOR-1.

GUWonder Jun 6, 2010 4:38 pm

As I mentioned years ago here, these NOR-1 sales are just another means of stripping away value from the benefits of elite status at hotels. Hilton has been a leader in this approach for years now and it just continues because customers fail to revolt against such practices that Hilton loves but which I certainly do not.

GUWonder Jun 6, 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 14087237)
I would rather keep it off NOR-1's books, but do you stand a better chance of getting an upgrade using NOR-1? I am staying in vegas in 2 weeks at the hilton and a couple NOR-1's came up. If I decline them and ask to pay for an upgrade will the people that selected NOR 1's get priority over me?

The hotel management rules the roost and can run circles around NOR-1 if they wish to go around it.

travelinfoo Jun 6, 2010 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 14087902)
The hotel management rules the roost and can run circles around NOR-1 if they wish to go around it.

Agree w/GUWonder. NOR-1 profits don't all go the hotel. However, a hotel-paid upgrade profits all go to the hotel. So better to deal directly w/hotel. You could probable negotiate a lower upgrade price.

martinfoss Jun 6, 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 14087251)
It wouldn't surprise me if a late check out is the next thing to be offered by NOR-1.

Now, I'm not sure if this is NOR-1 or not (cause I don't know what NOR-1 is), but I made a reservation today for a one night stay at the Hilton London Metropole. On the page where you can request amenities like beer/soft drinks/wine etc. to be placed in your room, there were also the options of choosing booth early check-in (before 3 PM) for GBP 40, and a late check-out (2 PM) for 25 GBP.

jamesteroh Jun 6, 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo (Post 14087974)
Agree w/GUWonder. NOR-1 profits don't all go the hotel. However, a hotel-paid upgrade profits all go to the hotel. So better to deal directly w/hotel. You could probable negotiate a lower upgrade price.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to leave the free nor-1 upgrade checked and when I arrive I will just for the upgrade to the resort level (it's around $40 a night on NOR-1). If I get it great, if not no big deal. Still considering the $20 "bribe" a well. I rarely need an early check in but do use the late check out quite a bit and never have problems getting a 2 p.m. check out. Hopefully that benefit will continue to remain.

holtju2 Jun 6, 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by attorney28 (Post 14085595)
Nor-1 is like a disease.

I call it a cancer. It has spread to quite a few Hyatt hotels as well.

buckeyefanflyer Jun 6, 2010 5:40 pm

I have booked more then 200 hotel rooms in my life and I have never been charged extra for early check in, the time normally stated as check in time.
The check in time is probably based on the hotel being full and time needed to clean rooms especially if alot of guests check out at the max check out time.

fromYXU Jun 6, 2010 5:42 pm

Nor-1 is all about increasing revenues, by-passing membership privileges.

http://www.nor1.com/

travelinfoo Jun 6, 2010 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by martinfoss (Post 14087998)
Now, I'm not sure if this is NOR-1 or not (cause I don't know what NOR-1 is), but I made a reservation today for a one night stay at the Hilton London Metropole. On the page where you can request amenities like beer/soft drinks/wine etc. to be placed in your room, there were also the options of choosing booth early check-in (before 3 PM) for GBP 40, and a late check-out (2 PM) for 25 GBP.

The amenities are just things you can order (and get charged for) ahead of time. Kind of like asking them to personalize your mini-bar selections (but you get charged for ordering). They are not NOR-1 charges.

The NOR-1 charge for early check-in is a new one and a VERY bad development if it spreads. I often show up early in Europe due to the AM flight arrivals. Never been asked to pay for early check-in (usually arrive at about 10-11AMish) if a room is available. I don't necessarily get the room I reserved but I don't care since I'm allowed into a room 2-3 hrs early.

The late check-out is bad too. It is supposed to be a VIP amenity, if the room is available (though time is not stated).