FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2078305-consolidated-early-check-thread.html)

Often1 Mar 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler (Post 22541073)
HH has to change. These policies are totally inappropriate for the Diamond program. I have never suffered much from this nor have I ever been asked for additional fees which should never be demanded of any elite HH level.

I find this new practice to be yet another reason to leave HH as a Diamond member. The program is very weak and not conducive to attracting and retaining elite members.

See other thread on requalifying for Diamond status here on FT.

Suspect you're vastly over-estimating OP's value to the property.

Likely experience is that HVC's don't bat an eye at a small charge for an early check-in and those are the people who have a nice meal sent up to them and spend at the bar as well.

Maybe the early check-in should be an added benefit and the qualifications raised or some significant spend requirement imposed? Be careful what you wish for.

controller1 Mar 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by runarbg (Post 22532420)
I'm a Diamond member with around 50 stays each year. Often I arrive before the standard check in time, and usually I can check in right away. Only a few times I have to wait for a room to be ready.
3 days ago I visited DoubleTree Amsterdam Central. I arrived at the hotel around noon, and I asked if they had a room so that I could check in right away. The anwer was: "Yes, we have available rooms now, but if you want to check in before 3pm we will charge you €40 extra"!
I have never experienced that other places. Is it a new Hilton policy, or is it just this hotel?
What is your experience with this?

Would be interesting to know if one arrives at 4:00 pm and their reserved room is not ready, if the DoubleTree Amsterdam Central deducts €40 from the room rate for that night! ;)

jamesteroh Mar 17, 2014 7:41 pm

This stinks. I have a stay here in July. My flight lands at 1 and was hoping they would allow me to check in when I got to the hotel so I could shower and change since this is a redeye flight and no Delta arrivals lounge at AMS.

Do they have a shower you can use at the fitness center at least? (by the time I clear customs it may be after 3 anyway when I get there).

If a room is available it is absurd to charge a diamond an early check in or late check out fee.

It's bad enough Hilton lacks in guaranteed late check outs (I get a 4 p.m. guaranteed late checkout by just having a Hyatt credit card at their properties and at SPG with the Delta crossover program but not at Hilton with earned diamond status).

Seeing they don't offer a revolving 24 hour checkin/checkout for diamonds like SPG, I don't see the harm in giving diamonds an early check in for free. It is no loss financially if the room is available and by charging diamonds an early check in fee screwing us even more, gives us more incentive to look at other chains.

Steve Weagant Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm

If your reservation is cancel 6 pm day of arrival I would consider a back up plan and threaten to cancel the stay.

CNWO4LIFE Mar 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by steve4031 (Post 22542168)
If your reservation is cancel 6 pm day of arrival I would consider a back up plan and threaten to cancel the stay.

^ That would probably get their attention. But you have to be prepared to follow through.

sethb Mar 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 22536734)
More and more hotels are doing this. If you want 8am check in, the only guaranteed benefit I know is RA with IC. But that requires some 60 nights at IHG hotels per year.

I think Starwood has a similar deal for their top-level Platinum (but it sets checkout to the same time).

TTL Mar 18, 2014 5:52 am

NOR-1 system sometimes offer the early check in after 8 AM for a few monetary units, but so far have not had a need to pay. A short comment along with the reservation about arriving early between 10 and 11 AM (and also leaving early) usually does the magic also in 3 PM Hiltons. Should I travel to Amsterdam, the Waldorf-Astoria (after July 1st) and Hilton Amsterdam would be my choices anyway.

jamesteroh Mar 18, 2014 8:38 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 22542659)
I think Starwood has a similar deal for their top-level Platinum (but it sets checkout to the same time).

SPG has a 24 hour check in for their top elites. You can check in at any time on your check in date and if you have a two day reservation you check out 48 hours after. Which would be nice for when I go to vegas on a late flight and want to do a redeye home. If I arrive at 9 pm on Friday I have until 9 pm sunday to checkout on a 2 day reservation. If I fly to Europe I usually get in around noon so if I checked in at noon and had a five day reservation I would check out five days later at noon.

With Hilton most hotels are a 3 p.m. check in and noon check out so you have a lot better deal with SPG.

BlondeBomber Mar 18, 2014 8:56 am

The SPG model makes a lot of sense for the traveler if you can get the staff to distribute for room cleaning.

The whole idea of hospitality is to make your stay more pleasurable and to encourage loyalty while still making money. Early Check in as a free offering (or a benefit if in top tier) encourages loyalty with minimal if any impact on bottom line.

24 hour check in like SPG costs more, perhaps why SPG properties tend to be a bit pricier (but then they were even before this benefit).

jamesteroh Mar 18, 2014 9:30 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 22544527)
The SPG model makes a lot of sense for the traveler if you can get the staff to distribute for room cleaning.

The whole idea of hospitality is to make your stay more pleasurable and to encourage loyalty while still making money. Early Check in as a free offering (or a benefit if in top tier) encourages loyalty with minimal if any impact on bottom line.

24 hour check in like SPG costs more, perhaps why SPG properties tend to be a bit pricier (but then they were even before this benefit).

This is only a benefit to their top elite with a lot of nights. SPG gives extra benefits if you stay 75 nights a year or more, so it isn't available to all Platinums. So if Hilton followed that model that would mean someone who has diamond through a credit card spend or just barely makes diamond wouldn't have the benefit. They offer more benefits for those that stay 100 nights a year at SPG's.

Pretty interesting article in USToday about it when it launched a couple years ago. 2% of their top customers make up 30% of SPG's profit, so it would make sense they would offer benefits like the 24 hour checkin.

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...elers/617635/1

bigjim Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm

I wonder if they will now consider adding a fee for storing luggage, in addition to an early check-in fee.

Steve Weagant Mar 19, 2014 6:50 am

They charge fees in NYC for luggage so sont be surprised if that happens too.

NauticalWheeler Mar 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by steve4031 (Post 22550614)
They charge fees in NYC for luggage so sont be surprised if that happens too.

Which property? NYC is in a whole different league than Amsterdam.

NauticalWheeler Mar 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by runarbg (Post 22532420)
I'm a Diamond member with around 50 stays each year. Often I arrive before the standard check in time, and usually I can check in right away. Only a few times I have to wait for a room to be ready.
3 days ago I visited DoubleTree Amsterdam Central. I arrived at the hotel around noon, and I asked if they had a room so that I could check in right away. The anwer was: "Yes, we have available rooms now, but if you want to check in before 3pm we will charge you €40 extra"!
I have never experienced that other places. Is it a new Hilton policy, or is it just this hotel?
What is your experience with this?

I don't think this problem is unique to Hilton. Rather, it seems to be an Amsterdam issue.

SPG had an issue with Amsterdam properties attempting to define standard award rooms as rooms with single occupancy. The rogue properties realized their mistake after SPG addressed the issue. Perhaps Hilton needs to address this issue with the Doubletree.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ooms-only.html

mudley May 17, 2015 12:41 pm

best way to get an early check in>?

we will be arriving in Brussels at 8:15am and expect to be at the hotel Grand Place by 10ish. Any advice as how to get into a room on the early side? Only Silver status.