Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: HH diamond
It appears the hotels are taking a page from the airlines and charging for simple "niceties" that used to be granted. Now it seems they are unbundling, too, and charging for everything. What is next? Charging us to use the FD to check in?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
It appears the hotels are taking a page from the airlines and charging for simple "niceties" that used to be granted. Now it seems they are unbundling, too, and charging for everything. What is next? Charging us to use the FD to check in?
Don't give them any ideas. Or they'll go the RyanAir route and charge to use our own bathrooms.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Don't give them any ideas. Or they'll go the RyanAir route and charge to use our own bathrooms.
......and bring luggage.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
It is already offered to those who aren't Diamonds. That's why Diamonds are getting less ER upgrades and the lounges are packed nowadays.
After not getting a ER upgrade on several trips at hotels I frequent, I asked a FD about this. She said NOR-1 paid upgrades are offered to everyone and lots of ppl paying for them. So less complementary ER upgrades even for Diamonds.
Not that I want to defend Hilton or NOR-1 in the least but I have noticed most NOR-1 offers I get these days indicate I'm getting some 'first level' upgrade free due to status. Usually said level is pathetic (e.g. a different view) but status isn't completely thrown out the window - just 95% thrown out.

Again - if you do decide you need to secure an upgrade - negotiate with the hotel's management directly. Keep that upgrade money off Nor-1's books!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Again - if you do decide you need to secure an upgrade - negotiate with the hotel's management directly. Keep that upgrade money off Nor-1's books!
I would rather keep it off NOR-1's books, but do you stand a better chance of getting an upgrade using NOR-1? I am staying in vegas in 2 weeks at the hilton and a couple NOR-1's came up. If I decline them and ask to pay for an upgrade will the people that selected NOR 1's get priority over me?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

It wouldn't surprise me if a late check out is the next thing to be offered by NOR-1.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As I mentioned years ago here, these NOR-1 sales are just another means of stripping away value from the benefits of elite status at hotels. Hilton has been a leader in this approach for years now and it just continues because customers fail to revolt against such practices that Hilton loves but which I certainly do not.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would rather keep it off NOR-1's books, but do you stand a better chance of getting an upgrade using NOR-1? I am staying in vegas in 2 weeks at the hilton and a couple NOR-1's came up. If I decline them and ask to pay for an upgrade will the people that selected NOR 1's get priority over me?
The hotel management rules the roost and can run circles around NOR-1 if they wish to go around it.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The hotel management rules the roost and can run circles around NOR-1 if they wish to go around it.
Agree w/GUWonder. NOR-1 profits don't all go the hotel. However, a hotel-paid upgrade profits all go to the hotel. So better to deal directly w/hotel. You could probable negotiate a lower upgrade price.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It wouldn't surprise me if a late check out is the next thing to be offered by NOR-1.
Now, I'm not sure if this is NOR-1 or not (cause I don't know what NOR-1 is), but I made a reservation today for a one night stay at the Hilton London Metropole. On the page where you can request amenities like beer/soft drinks/wine etc. to be placed in your room, there were also the options of choosing booth early check-in (before 3 PM) for GBP 40, and a late check-out (2 PM) for 25 GBP.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree w/GUWonder. NOR-1 profits don't all go the hotel. However, a hotel-paid upgrade profits all go to the hotel. So better to deal directly w/hotel. You could probable negotiate a lower upgrade price.
Thanks for the responses. I am going to leave the free nor-1 upgrade checked and when I arrive I will just for the upgrade to the resort level (it's around $40 a night on NOR-1). If I get it great, if not no big deal. Still considering the $20 "bribe" a well. I rarely need an early check in but do use the late check out quite a bit and never have problems getting a 2 p.m. check out. Hopefully that benefit will continue to remain.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by attorney28
Nor-1 is like a disease.
I call it a cancer. It has spread to quite a few Hyatt hotels as well.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have booked more then 200 hotel rooms in my life and I have never been charged extra for early check in, the time normally stated as check in time.
The check in time is probably based on the hotel being full and time needed to clean rooms especially if alot of guests check out at the max check out time.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Nor-1 is all about increasing revenues, by-passing membership privileges.

http://www.nor1.com/
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by martinfoss
Now, I'm not sure if this is NOR-1 or not (cause I don't know what NOR-1 is), but I made a reservation today for a one night stay at the Hilton London Metropole. On the page where you can request amenities like beer/soft drinks/wine etc. to be placed in your room, there were also the options of choosing booth early check-in (before 3 PM) for GBP 40, and a late check-out (2 PM) for 25 GBP.
The amenities are just things you can order (and get charged for) ahead of time. Kind of like asking them to personalize your mini-bar selections (but you get charged for ordering). They are not NOR-1 charges.

The NOR-1 charge for early check-in is a new one and a VERY bad development if it spreads. I often show up early in Europe due to the AM flight arrivals. Never been asked to pay for early check-in (usually arrive at about 10-11AMish) if a room is available. I don't necessarily get the room I reserved but I don't care since I'm allowed into a room 2-3 hrs early.

The late check-out is bad too. It is supposed to be a VIP amenity, if the room is available (though time is not stated).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.