FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Automatic housekeeping gratuities? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2044639-automatic-housekeeping-gratuities.html)

twitch76 Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am

Automatic housekeeping gratuities?

Has anyone else had the front desk automatically add a housekeeping gratuity to your stay without your request?

I’m currently at the Hampton Inn in Henderson, NV on a one-night points stay. When I received the receipt this morning, it showed a $5 Housekeeping Gratuity and $0.42 in Sales Tax.

I’m not particularly amused. I typically tip housekeeping, even on a one night stay... but not usually that much... and I don’t add taxes to it.

I don’t see anything in the reservation or hotel policies that talk about this.

twitch76 Jun 22, 2021 8:29 am

The clerk was happy to take it off, and indicated that it’s only automatic for digital checkin people because they didn’t have a chance to ask at checkin.

I asked the clerk if it was a new policy and she said “only for this location.”

I’m still not particularly amused and will likely send an email to hotel management.

strickerj Jun 22, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks for the warning; at least it isn't system-wide. If it isn't an official Hilton policy, I wonder if it's really going to housekeeping or is just a scam charge? (I assume "Housekeeping Gratuity" is how it was listed, not something vague like service charge?)

twitch76 Jun 22, 2021 8:46 am

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 33347879)
Thanks for the warning; at least it isn't system-wide. If it isn't an official Hilton policy, I wonder if it's really going to housekeeping or is just a scam charge? (I assume "Housekeeping Gratuity" is how it was listed, not something vague like service charge?)

It was listed as “Housekeeping Gratuity.”

Once my annoyance about the automatic charge has subsided, I am aware of some potential conveniences—particularly for the business traveler.

If I had a high confidence that gratuities made it to housekeeping, it would be really nice to be able to add housekeeping tips through the app upon checkout. No need to carry small bills… or to document cash tips for reimbursement. I could envision pressing the checkout button and being given the option to add a housekeeping tip at that point. The tip would show up on the folio, and I’d drop the PDF into my expense report.

The _Banking_Scot Jun 22, 2021 8:51 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 (Post 33347920)
It was listed as “Housekeeping Gratuity.”

Once my annoyance about the automatic charge has subsided, I am aware of some potential conveniences—particularly for the business traveler.

If I had a high confidence that gratuities made it to housekeeping, it would be really nice to be able to add housekeeping tips through the app upon checkout. No need to carry small bills… or to document cash tips for reimbursement. I could envision pressing the checkout button and being given the option to add a housekeeping tip at that point. The tip would show up on the folio, and I’d drop the PDF into my expense report.

Hi,

Plus of course the potential to earn hh points on the gratuity if it classified as an eligible spend:)

potentially it could be a good idea if it all goes to housekeepers.
$5 a night at a Hampton is a bit high though imho. I generally tip $2 to $3 per night at most hotels with a bit more on my final night or if there is a lot of trash( from outlet shopping)

Regards

Tbs

MSPeconomist Jun 22, 2021 9:14 am

I'm surprised that there would be tax on a gratuity. I wonder whether the hotel is just keeping it. [OTOH, in some places, mandatory service charges at hotels are taxed but the examples I can recall are overseas.]

strickerj Jun 22, 2021 11:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 33348013)
I'm surprised that there would be tax on a gratuity. I wonder whether the hotel is just keeping it. [OTOH, in some places, mandatory service charges at hotels are taxed but the examples I can recall are overseas.]

Yeah that's part of what had me suspicious if it.

gbdbld Jun 22, 2021 11:46 am

To me, I view it the same way as a restaurant who changes tip amounts and seems deliberate, it's fraud.

johnndor Jun 22, 2021 11:53 am

And at a Hampton Inn of all places? I hope resorts and full-service hotels don't get wind of this. I get irritated enough from restaurants that add automatic gratuities to large parties, and then "forget"' to point that out when they bring the bill (hoping you won't notice)!

dlaue Jun 22, 2021 12:16 pm

KILL IT!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Don't allow another "resort fee" to become prevalent.

twitch76 Jun 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue (Post 33348584)
KILL IT!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Don't allow another "resort fee" to become prevalent.

I fully intend to email the GM and send a copy to the Diamond Desk.

Schwann Jun 22, 2021 2:51 pm

Only in America!

What's next, they'll be asking you to pay for the housekeeping out of that pittance $15 credit you get towards breakfast?

Super Mario Jun 22, 2021 2:53 pm

To add insult to injury, imagine paying $5 per day, but as with the current trend, getting no housekeeping.

LondonElite Jun 22, 2021 2:56 pm

Very annoying

Bradhattan Jun 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Pessimist me says the hotel keeps cash and it merely supplements payroll....meaning no extra for housekeeping but helps pay their current wage.

Optimistic me says since it appears one off, maybe this hotel is helping staff by collecting and increasing their payout either as tip or higher wage.

Hoping the latter! As a general rule, I prefer to leave nonreportable cash that is not taxed. These souls deserve it, IMO.