Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Automatic housekeeping gratuities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

Has anyone else had the front desk automatically add a housekeeping gratuity to your stay without your request?

I’m currently at the Hampton Inn in Henderson, NV on a one-night points stay. When I received the receipt this morning, it showed a $5 Housekeeping Gratuity and $0.42 in Sales Tax.

I’m not particularly amused. I typically tip housekeeping, even on a one night stay... but not usually that much... and I don’t add taxes to it.

I don’t see anything in the reservation or hotel policies that talk about this.
notquiteaff and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
The clerk was happy to take it off, and indicated that it’s only automatic for digital checkin people because they didn’t have a chance to ask at checkin.

I asked the clerk if it was a new policy and she said “only for this location.”

I’m still not particularly amused and will likely send an email to hotel management.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Thanks for the warning; at least it isn't system-wide. If it isn't an official Hilton policy, I wonder if it's really going to housekeeping or is just a scam charge? (I assume "Housekeeping Gratuity" is how it was listed, not something vague like service charge?)
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
Thanks for the warning; at least it isn't system-wide. If it isn't an official Hilton policy, I wonder if it's really going to housekeeping or is just a scam charge? (I assume "Housekeeping Gratuity" is how it was listed, not something vague like service charge?)
It was listed as “Housekeeping Gratuity.”

Once my annoyance about the automatic charge has subsided, I am aware of some potential conveniences—particularly for the business traveler.

If I had a high confidence that gratuities made it to housekeeping, it would be really nice to be able to add housekeeping tips through the app upon checkout. No need to carry small bills… or to document cash tips for reimbursement. I could envision pressing the checkout button and being given the option to add a housekeeping tip at that point. The tip would show up on the folio, and I’d drop the PDF into my expense report.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by twitch76
It was listed as “Housekeeping Gratuity.”

Once my annoyance about the automatic charge has subsided, I am aware of some potential conveniences—particularly for the business traveler.

If I had a high confidence that gratuities made it to housekeeping, it would be really nice to be able to add housekeeping tips through the app upon checkout. No need to carry small bills… or to document cash tips for reimbursement. I could envision pressing the checkout button and being given the option to add a housekeeping tip at that point. The tip would show up on the folio, and I’d drop the PDF into my expense report.
Hi,

Plus of course the potential to earn hh points on the gratuity if it classified as an eligible spend

potentially it could be a good idea if it all goes to housekeepers.
$5 a night at a Hampton is a bit high though imho. I generally tip $2 to $3 per night at most hotels with a bit more on my final night or if there is a lot of trash( from outlet shopping)

Regards

Tbs
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that there would be tax on a gratuity. I wonder whether the hotel is just keeping it. [OTOH, in some places, mandatory service charges at hotels are taxed but the examples I can recall are overseas.]
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that there would be tax on a gratuity. I wonder whether the hotel is just keeping it. [OTOH, in some places, mandatory service charges at hotels are taxed but the examples I can recall are overseas.]
Yeah that's part of what had me suspicious if it.
hedoman likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:46 am

To me, I view it the same way as a restaurant who changes tip amounts and seems deliberate, it's fraud.
BigFishDave, craig44485 and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
And at a Hampton Inn of all places? I hope resorts and full-service hotels don't get wind of this. I get irritated enough from restaurants that add automatic gratuities to large parties, and then "forget"' to point that out when they bring the bill (hoping you won't notice)!
BigFishDave, strickerj and H8tofly like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
KILL IT!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Don't allow another "resort fee" to become prevalent.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlaue
KILL IT!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Don't allow another "resort fee" to become prevalent.
I fully intend to email the GM and send a copy to the Diamond Desk.
aztimm and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Only in America!

What's next, they'll be asking you to pay for the housekeeping out of that pittance $15 credit you get towards breakfast?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
To add insult to injury, imagine paying $5 per day, but as with the current trend, getting no housekeeping.
dw, MisterTanaka, donjo and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Very annoying
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Pessimist me says the hotel keeps cash and it merely supplements payroll....meaning no extra for housekeeping but helps pay their current wage.

Optimistic me says since it appears one off, maybe this hotel is helping staff by collecting and increasing their payout either as tip or higher wage.

Hoping the latter! As a general rule, I prefer to leave nonreportable cash that is not taxed. These souls deserve it, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.