Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond Members do you pay the upgrade fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

Recently joined the diamond club and had some questions regarding status upgrades. I've already booked a few properties who have sent me offers asking if I want to upgrade to a preferred room for a rate, my question to you all is how do you decide whether or not to take that offer? Do you all just wait until check in and then hope that an upgrade is offered?

I really am trying to figure out what the general consensus is with this. My guess is that these offers asking us to pay for upgrades are just to guarantee one before arrival in case no space is available. Otherwise that upgrade would be free am I correct?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Declining an offered, paid, upgrade has no relation to whether or not you get upgraded for free, to that level, or any level.

I rarely even look at the paid upgrades, unless, I am traveling with Mrs BlueZebra, and she might be interested, or I know a lot about the hotel and feel there might be some value in the upgrade.

Realistically, I investigate the offers less than 5% of the time.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
I never pay for an upgrade. I always wait until I get to the property and ask for one. Yes, paying for an upgrade should guarantee you one, but you need to make sure it's really an upgrade. One of the properties I stay at calls anything above the fourth floor an upgrade, even though the rooms are identical to the third floor rooms. .
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:20 pm
cjd

Never pay for an upgrade. When I get the NOR1 offers of paid upgrades, I just ignore them. When it comes to online check in the day before arrival, occasionally, upgrades may be offered and I sometimes take them. Most of the time, I wait until the morning of arrival and sometimes upgrades or possibly suites are offered. I may decide to take them, but if no upgrade is offered, I politely enquire at check in as to whether any suites are available. Sometimes, I email the hotel such as recently, where I enquired as to whether a room with a sea view would be available, as this was classed as an upgrade. Just be aware that upgrades are subject to availability and you won't get them sometimes. If you really want a certain room guaranteed, you may have to book that room.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I only opt in when I care about an upgrade - usually something pretty special and well above the room type I booked, where I have no expectation that I’d actually get an upgrade of that type upon arrival.

More often than not, I don’t bother.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Recently I had an upgrade offer to check in early for £20.00. It didn't say how early though so I didn't bother.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I don't pay for upgrades as a Diamond unless I want to pay for a particular extraordinary room.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Depends on the offers and the property. Most of the time I don t care about it. At some properties I know that I will get better upgrades for free since these are part of the Diamond recognition.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
If I won't be as happy on vacation without an oceanfront room I pay for it.

If I would be pleasantly surprised I hope for an upgrade.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Nope, never. Compay policy prohibits that....
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Studentvoyager96
I really am trying to figure out what the general consensus is with this.
I'll bite. What difference does the "general consensus" on FT matter to your situation? This is a "worth" question and only you can define what is worth it to you.

Some people prefer the guarantee of knowing advance that they will be in the room type they desire and they have the financial means to simply "buy" the upgrade. For others, they would enjoy an upgrade if they get it, but not receiving one won't have any material impact on the enjoyment of their stay and/or they are on a budget and not willing to pay.

Only you can determine where you fall on the "worth it" spectrum; nobody else can define that for you. It's your $$ and your experience.

Regards
BrlDsguise likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'll bite. What difference does the "general consensus" on FT matter to your situation? This is a "worth" question and only you can define what is worth it to you.
If someone is new to a situation, it can be incredibly helpful to understand how experienced people view that situation.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:33 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I never pay for an upgrade. The only time I ever ask about an upgrade is when I know I’ll be spending some time in the room before an appointment or when I’m with the my Better Half.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I have paid and will continue paying for upgrades depending upon circumstances. For example, when staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for Christmas I will upgrade because I know that no complimentary upgrade would be offered as the hotel will be sold out. I also paid for an upgrade once as the agent refused to upgrade me any further than a King room (from the original Queen) stating that it was their policy and I did not want to argue. Paid a couple of times from a suite to a higher suite as I knew that that would not happen complimentary. There is nothing wrong with paying for an upgrade. I think when a particular type of the room really matters to me I would rather pay than be disappointed.
BrlDsguise likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I have paid and will continue paying for upgrades depending upon circumstances. For example, when staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for Christmas I will upgrade because I know that no complimentary upgrade would be offered as the hotel will be sold out. I also paid for an upgrade once as the agent refused to upgrade me any further than a King room (from the original Queen) stating that it was their policy and I did not want to argue. Paid a couple of times from a suite to a higher suite as I knew that that would not happen complimentary. There is nothing wrong with paying for an upgrade. I think when a particular type of the room really matters to me I would rather pay than be disappointed.
I agree with this approach. When traveling with family we need two rooms. A 2 bedroom suite is so much more convenient than being in and out of the corridor, and the extra space to hang out in the third room that you don't get with connecting rooms is enjoyable. In most cases such an upgrade is not something that status will bring so i am willing to pay something modest for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.