Wiki Posts
Search

Gulf coast Hilton suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: a little here, a little there
Gulf coast Hilton suggestion?

My favorite Hilton-branded hotel for vacation used to be the Hampton Inn in Corolla, NC, as I would save my work-earned points for use on a nice family beach vacation. (Boy, how the points-category has increased there! But that's another thread.)

And now I've moved, and NC is too far.

Can anyone suggest a good Hilton branded hotel on the gulf coast, anywhere from Biloxi over to Panama City Beach, FL? Of course, prefer something close to, if not on, the water.

Much thanks in advance.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Hilton Sandestin.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
There is a relatively new Hampton Inn Panama City Beach that I stayed at about a year ago. It was right on the beach.

At that time, parking in the garage across the street was free (Parking is now $15). It was one of the only Hamptons I have seen in the US with a cocktail bar. It was very new and shiny at the time.

The Hampton Inn Panama City Beach Pier Park is very nice, but about a half mile walk to the beach.

Hampton Inn Destin is across from the beach, but the only access is about a block away, but I found it very nice.

There are some Hilton resorts in Destin and Sandestin right on the beach.

Hampton Inn Navarre Beach is on the mainland but a quick mile to Navarre Beach across the intercoastal. It was nice and much cheaper than beach front.

There is a Hilton and a Hampton right next to each other on Pensacola Beach and I love that area. I have stayed at the Hampton there and loved being right on the beach.

I can't help you with Alabama but have been to Biloxi, and while the town is interesting, the beaches just cannot compare to the sugar white sands that you get in the FL Panhandle.

Pensacola Beach is my favorite because you have the national seashore so close and there is also Ft Pickens which is an amazing fort that dates back to the 1800s. The Hilton there looks very nice, and I enjoyed my stay at the Hampton.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We liked the Doubletree Island House in Orange Beach. Very quiet and low key, all rooms water facing.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
The Lodge at Gulf State Park is a brand new Hilton property. I wrote a review of it here a few months back.

The two two properties on Pensacola Beach are OK, but not stellar. The island itself is great.

Our favorite in in the area is the Sandestin Beach Resort.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll check it out.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the input!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Embassy Suites Destin. It's not beach-front but it has beach access and the ES concept (suite, 2nd TV, breakfast and manager's reception) works well for kids.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Adding to previous comments:

Hilton Sandestin is expensive. Very expensive.

But, they have amazing service and great kids’ programs in the summer. One year we watch the fireworks show from our balcony. Last year, they were doing sand art on the pool deck. The staff is very attentive to our kids’ needs. The rooms with the bunk beds with portholes are awesome.

I’d say The Lodge at Gulf State Park is not a family friendly hotel, especially when kids are involved. More of a couples getaway.

Last edited by aww3583; Feb 19, 2019 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
I would also suggest the The Lodge at Gulf State Park (Gulf Shores, AL). It is brand new and located inside the ocean front state park, so no close neighbors to either side. Gulf Shores to the west and Orange Beach to the east offer plenty of restaurants. Lots of activities are available (especially for kids) inside the 6,500 acre state park. I've got a conference down there in early September and I think the King Room rate I got was around $125 a night. That't not a conference rate, just Hilton Honors.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
There is a Hilton and a Hampton right next to each other on Pensacola Beach and I love that area. I have stayed at the Hampton there and loved being right on the beach.
I would second the Hampton in Pensacola Beach. You walk out of the back of the hotel right onto one of the nicest looking stretches of beach in the Continental US. I have stayed at the Hilton Resort next to it and all I can say it is a way overpriced dump of a hotel. I would recommend the Hampton over the Hilton even if they were the same price. I've also stayed at the Sandestin Hilton resort as well and it is nicer than the Pensacola Hilton by far.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There's also the Hilton Garden Inn in Ft. Walton Beach- far newer than the Sandestin Hilton, direct beachfront, and a pool area that includes a lazy river. I'm a local so I've never stayed there but it seems to get good reviews.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
How many of those hotels were devastated last year?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
How many of those hotels were devastated last year?
From what I understand, all these properties were west of the hurricane damage. Most of the hurricane damage was from Panama City (not PCB) to the east.

All these properties are west and my understanding is that they had minimal damage.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We've been over to Bay County a few times since the storm, and Panama City Beach looks largely good and open for vacation business. It's crossing the Hathaway Bridge to Panama City proper and the lightly populated points east where you're still frequently in zombie apocalypse territory.

Michael was a wee tiny hurricane by Atlantic standards. I live 5 miles due north of Destin and about 75 miles west of where the eye made landfall and we got maybe 25 mph winds sustained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.