Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safe to cancel award stays?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by squarestatejeff
I canceled an award stay on Sunday and the points finally showed up in my account late Wednesday. I then went in and booked new award stay (had to move to another date) and I received confirmation email, but the points as of yet have not been removed from my account (more than 14 hours now).
Definitely some IT issues on Hilton's end, but I'm sure the points will get deducted from my account fairly soon.
As to the OP's initial question, until this event I have never had a problem with points getting returned whenever I needed to cancel. They usually were back in my account within 2 hours.
did you follow up with Hilton honors? Or did you just wait?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752

did you follow up with Hilton honors? Or did you just wait?
I contacted HHonors via phone Wednesday morning and they informed me that customer service had been notified of problems with miles getting re-posted and they were working on it. I was told they should appear within the next day or two, and they showed up later that night.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I cancelled an awards stay yesterday afternoon. My Amex account updated immediately but the points weren't restored on the Hilton website until sometime this morning.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

I finally got my points back this morning after contacting them multiple times by phone, chat, email and finally twitter. The people who handle their @hiltonhonors account were the most helpful. They also gave me a very specific timeframe unlike by phone chat and email where they would give the generic 24-48 hours.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:07 pm

It is not safe.

Cancelled two reward stays 12 hours ago.
Points are still missing.
The app said that points should be posted back within 30min after cancelation.

First answer from Diamond desk said "24-48 hrs"
Second response was today until 12pm cst.

Contacted @hiltonHonorsRepresentative here and will contact them thru twitter as well.

Really disappointing what Hilton Honors is doing here with their Diamond customers.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Cancelled a points stay today. Confirmation said that points would be back in my account within 30 minutes. Checked about an hour after I had cancelled and the points were back. So it worked for me as advertised.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
I have cancelled two in the last week. The points were back in my account within a hour.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Does not wrk properly. I called and cancelled a points reservation about two weeks ago. The diamond agent said the points will be returned to my account and my balance would be reflected immediately.

i received a cancellation email for the hotel. However, my points activity does not show the cancellation.

I opened up a case and hope to hear back soon. My guess is I will have to call back.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
When I cancelled my points reservation, HHonors simply removed the charge for the hotel. So now I have zero line entries instead of two. It's like I never made the reservation.

In some ways I would prefer to have two entries, one debiting the points and one crediting them back again. But then again, I have only a few charges a month. For those of you who have tons of activity (paid and reward stays) I can see how double accounting for cancelling reward stays might be considered clutter.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Looks like new issues with canceling award stays as my points haven't returned into my account after now 72 hours. Twitter team confirmed that there are issues and that points should be back within 72 hours - well not in my case.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Similar problem with a points / money issue. Booked and Cancelled on HH app because I want to amend the number of booking nights. Ugh. Hopefully it’s not too many days before the points return.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I asked the twitter team why the points have not returned yet and this is the answer I got:

Thank you for reaching back to us. We apologize you were previously provided with incorrect information. While we are aware of the situation causing the delay and our team is working diligently to implement a resolution, we don't have an expected time of when this will take effect in any particular account. Are you needing the Points to make a new redemption?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by florens
I asked the twitter team why the points have not returned yet and this is the answer I got:

Yep, many people complaining of this issue over on the Hilton gold and diamond Facebook page this morning........ you are not alone.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wizla
Yep, many people complaining of this issue over on the Hilton gold and diamond Facebook page this morning........ you are not alone.
The what? 🤪 does that really exist?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Does this mean that we can ask the Twitter or Facebook team(s) if they can help with our specific account? I do need to have my points back so that I can make my correct reservation (I inputted wrong dates so cancelled and didn’t realize that the points wouldn’t return)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.