Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Looking to leave Marriott for Hilton BUT...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to leave Marriott for Hilton BUT...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
I will echo the same sentiment as others have here and mention that I have not had any issues with Hilton internet speeds in the US. For what it is worth, I prefer Hilton to Marriott. I feel like I get better service and the properties are nicer. But that is just my opinion. I am sure there are many others who would say the opposite. There is no harm in trying to straddle the fence like others have suggested. You can have the best of both worlds that way. On another note, Hilton was not the subject of a massive data breach that exposed 500 million records in the last month and Marriott was.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:05 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by mikebor
I have heard from various friends and others that Hilton's high speed internet in many of their hotels is not really fast. Or at least that used to be the case. Is that true now? I would assume that Diamonds would have a higher tier internet service? In your guys/gals experience how is the high speed internet in Full Service Hiltons, Hamptons, HGI? Good for streaming. It's funny or not so funny but I am a Lifetime Platinum Premier with Ambassador service with Marriott and I hate what has happened since the merger. The whole chain has gone way downhill and I've had enough to be honest. Screw the fact about me being Lifetime PP, I'm just about done giving that mega chain anymore of my business. You guys think I would be happy at Hilton? I primarily stay at Full service Marriott's(50% of the time), sometimes Courtyards(10%) and Residence Inn (10%)and Renaissances(20%) and JW's(5%) and Marriott Marquis.(5%).

Also is Diamond the highest Tier? I'll be honest I usually live in hotels, probably avg 300 nights a year the past few years.
You can read about my views in this thread, coincidentally I wrote this a few hours before you opened your thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-fairmont.html

I also stay 300+ nights per year in hotels which means it's enough to have top tier status in 2+ hotel programs. I am reducing my Marriott/Starwood nights and increasing my Hilton nights because of problems on Marriott's side and improvements on Hilton's side, but I won't drop Marriott to zero. I am making moderate switches, not drastic ones.

Generally speaking I do not see noticeable differences between Hilton and Marriott regarding internet speeds. It varies by hotel but no clear pattern by chain.

Hilton Diamond is the highest tier and to be honest if they rolled out something higher with attractive benefits it would attract even more of my business.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott LtP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Someone with as many nights a year as you have could do both chains for a year and see which one they prefer.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but I do understand Marriott is having some challenges this year.

Don't jump ship, straddle both!
Yeah I've been straddling both and honestly it's probably the way to go since you're getting 300+ nights per year. You'll work to lifetime on both and you'll just have to go through 10 years on each program concurrently. I'm assuming you've already put in some years at Marriott. Internet speeds vary and when you straddle both you open up the possibilities to both chains in the locale you are staying. More options. As far as internet service is concerned it's a crap shoot. I've stayed in Marriott's where the premium internet is slow (probably due to high occupancy and high utilization). Good luck!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
You can read about my views in this thread, coincidentally I wrote this a few hours before you opened your thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-fairmont.html

I also stay 300+ nights per year in hotels which means it's enough to have top tier status in 2+ hotel programs. I am reducing my Marriott/Starwood nights and increasing my Hilton nights because of problems on Marriott's side and improvements on Hilton's side, but I won't drop Marriott to zero. I am making moderate switches, not drastic ones.

Generally speaking I do not see noticeable differences between Hilton and Marriott regarding internet speeds. It varies by hotel but no clear pattern by chain.

Hilton Diamond is the highest tier and to be honest if they rolled out something higher with attractive benefits it would attract even more of my business.
Thx for your answer and to everyone in this thread. Much appreciated. I could be wrong my gut tells me it wouldn't surprise me if Hilton rolls out a status comparable to Marriott PP with Ambassador. Maybe I'm wrong but these chains all seem to copy one another at some point and it would be nice to have an exclusive status that caters to travelers like us that stay at hotels 200-300 nights a year.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by mikebor
Thx for your answer and to everyone in this thread. Much appreciated. I could be wrong my gut tells me it wouldn't surprise me if Hilton rolls out a status comparable to Marriott PP with Ambassador. Maybe I'm wrong but these chains all seem to copy one another at some point and it would be nice to have an exclusive status that caters to travelers like us that stay at hotels 200-300 nights a year.
That would be great news, and despite the fact that Hilton would be increasing benefits which come at a cost, I suspect the increased revenue they gain from attracting more business to Hilton would more than make up for it. But I am not an expert in such matters so I could be wrong. The most obvious one would be to guarantee late check-out for top tier. The tangible cost would not be as high as hiring a bunch of ambassadors to provide personalized service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.