Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Hilton: What To Expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott to Hilton: What To Expect

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper
One more thing I should have mentioned - Hilton uses funky dynamic pricing for points redemptions whereas Marriott has fixed price categories (now with extra tiers for peak and off-peak but still fixed).
Once you've made your points booking with Marriott you can sit back and relax - the only thing that could alter the rate is a category change, and a category downgrade that would make you cancel and rebook isn't something that happens very often. But with Hilton the rates are all over the place, depending on dates/availability, and that means you have to alter your approach.

(1) Use the flexible dates option and play around with your date selections to find the optimal redemption (i.e. alter dates and length of stay to see what happens).
(2) Once you've decided on a redemption and booked it, monitor like a hawk, especially in the weeks leading up to your stay. Places that haven't sold many beds may drop the rates handily so you can cancel and rebook (technically, rebook and cancel, to be on the safe side). TBH, you should probably do this on any program in case cash rates change enough for you to make it worth replacing the points booking with a cash one.

Very helpful! I did not know that!

So lets say I booked a stay with points on November 1st for 50,000 points. I am locked in at 50k or it can go up or down?

So what you are saying is say the hotel I book currently is 50,000 points on November 1st. A week before my stay, if they have not sold many rooms, it may be 40k?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Some Embassies put real effort into their receptions with hot food, local brews/wine, etc. Others just mail it in with pretzels, Bud Lite, and box wine.
My favorite was staying at a Hampton Inn out in Midland, TX 3-4 years ago during the oil boom and paying close to $300/nt (thankfully work paid and expensed on a personal card). Their "managers reception" was some chicken wings, a case of bud light, 2 cheap bottles of wine, and in lieu of wine glasses they had a stack of those little 8 oz paper Hampton Inn cups they put in the bathrooms.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Very helpful! I did not know that!

So lets say I booked a stay with points on November 1st for 50,000 points. I am locked in at 50k or it can go up or down?

So what you are saying is say the hotel I book currently is 50,000 points on November 1st. A week before my stay, if they have not sold many rooms, it may be 40k?
Once you make the reservation, your reservation is locked in at that price (as it would be with cash). As to your second question, yes the price may fluctuate up or down, so it pays to check back and see if you can rebook at a lower price (just like with cash).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Is there anyway you can see on the website of the hotel what year it was built? I have noticed there is a huge difference between a brand new Hampton Inn and a old Hampton Inn and Suites. This was how it went for Courtyard and Spring hill. New hotels are always better.

Also seems like most of the Hilton's are pretty old!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Holiday Inn lets you purchase 5k to 10k packages to get more points for your stay. I have seen some Marriotts do 2k to 3k per stay. Does Hilton do anything like that? I know they do the 2x the points. Is there 3x or 4x or 5,000?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Holiday Inn lets you purchase 5k to 10k packages to get more points for your stay. I have seen some Marriotts do 2k to 3k per stay. Does Hilton do anything like that? I know they do the 2x the points. Is there 3x or 4x or 5,000?
I see 2x offered on occasion. I have never found an instance where it's been worthwhile to actually book that rate, but some may have different experiences. Contrast to IHG, where the 5k/10k extra rates can, on occasion, make sense on a one-night stay. (Assuming you actually use IHG points, of course.)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I see 2x offered on occasion. I have never found an instance where it's been worthwhile to actually book that rate, but some may have different experiences. Contrast to IHG, where the 5k/10k extra rates can, on occasion, make sense on a one-night stay. (Assuming you actually use IHG points, of course.)
Thanks for your info! For my job I am allowed to stay at hotels as long as the per night rate is below $200. I am allowed to charge more to get the extra points so I am doing my best to find out ways to earn more points. Hilton Credit card is not a option as I have to pay on the company card.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for your info! For my job I am allowed to stay at hotels as long as the per night rate is below $200. I am allowed to charge more to get the extra points so I am doing my best to find out ways to earn more points. Hilton Credit card is not a option as I have to pay on the company card.
Only you know your situation and your company's culture, but some employers or clients might roll their eyes at you a bit for booking an "extra points" type of rate just because it falls under $200. Sort of like the guy who orders hotel room service, the guy who expenses laundry on a 4-night trip, or the guy who only takes Uber Black instead of a regular UberX. Technically permissible, but people start to figure out who That Guy is and you don't want to be That Guy.

The HH Aspire card may still be of use to you if you're staying at a lot of Hiltons, since it includes Diamond status out of the box. As long as you can stay in one Hilton resort per year where you *do* use the card, then it nets out as them paying you to carry it.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Is there anyway you can see on the website of the hotel what year it was built? I have noticed there is a huge difference between a brand new Hampton Inn and a old Hampton Inn and Suites. This was how it went for Courtyard and Spring hill. New hotels are always better.

Also seems like most of the Hilton's are pretty old!
A lot of old Hampton Inn's have been renovated to the new brand standard.

that said...a lot have not as well. If you look at the room photos, the more squared off the furniture is = newer

edit to add visual aid

Old

New
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

I have also noticed that when I look to see how many points it costs to redeem a free night most of the higher hotels seem to be a newer hotel. I have been doing that a lot and seems to be nicer/newer properties. Does a hotel being newer have any drive in raising the amount of points it costs to redeem a hotel? I am talking about smaller cities..... not NYC LA Miami ect
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:17 am
Original Poster

The one thing I have noticed that I really don't like, is way the points work when redeeming a hotel stay! I guess I am so used to Marriott and IHG doing category reward redemptions. Can anyone provide me a link to why Hilton went away from the reward chart?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:06 am

The one thing I have noticed that I really don't like, is way the points work when redeeming a hotel stay! I guess I am so used to Marriott and IHG doing category reward redemptions. Can anyone provide me a link to why Hilton went away from the reward chart?
The same reason why everyone (airlines, etc.) is going away from award charts, or, before that, fixed cash pricing - to try to maximize revenue/redemption.

I will say that with Hilton I have seen them play the game somewhat fairly - there are good values to be had during slow periods for some properties.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Originally Posted by arlflyer

I will say that with Hilton I have seen them play the game somewhat fairly - there are good values to be had during slow periods for some properties.
I agree, there are some very sweet spots when it comes to slow periods, especially in Asia and sometimes in the MENA regions
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

See my issue is I only redeem points on the weekends in the summer at the beach. Seems like it goes from 40k to 60/70k
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The Conrad opening in DC early next year has a lounge - termed the "Sakura Club" purports to offer "complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, snacks and evening cocktails while also providing concierge service, private space for small meetings and a range of business services"
The Waldorf in NYC use to have a sperate club like this, that was not the executive lounge and required separate access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.