Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Arrow Conrad Washington DC {US-DC}

I didn't see a thread started on this forthcoming property, and since it's well on its way to being completed, I figured I'd start one. Right now, rates are loaded beginning March 15, 2019. Looks like weekend rates begin at about $300, with weekday rates closer to $450, which seems in line with what other properties are asking this far out.

I walked by the site the other day and snapped a quick photo of the exterior - this is looking south from across NY Ave (not the best shot, sorry). Personally I am less than impressed with the design; it reminds me of a 90's office park building or the lower levels of a certain other D.C. resident's Chicago hotel. But D.C. isn't a city known for avant garde architecture, and hopefully the addition of the planned green roof (with trees) on the mezzanine terrace will help break up the wall of glass.

More importantly, though, I am sure the interior will be top-notch, and this property will a welcome addition to a tired portfolio of hotels in Hilton's hometown which currently lacks anything resembling an upmarket offering. Looking forward to trying it out once it opens!
Attached Images  
SPBanker and tynmar like this.

Last edited by arlflyer; Aug 13, 2018 at 6:50 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
Excellent news, I look forward to reading your review on the 16th of March
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tynmar
Excellent news, I look forward to reading your review on the 16th of March
Seriously considering it! Will keep an eye on rates, or maybe just lock something in, why not?

In a perfect service-oriented world, it would also be neat if they gave local Diamonds a shout for a soft opening party or anything, but needless to say I am not holding my breath by any means!

Oh, and also an edit - from playing around with the search filters on Hilton.com, if the attribute data is to be believed, this property will not have a lounge. Boo.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Wow, the photo is very promising! The location isn't ideal for me, given where I work in DC when I'm in town. But, I definitely plan to try it out next year, assuming that they offer government rates at some point.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
The info on the Hilton website says suites get access to the "Sakura Club" which sounds a lot like a Lounge...breakfast, evening drinks, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The info on the Hilton website says suites get access to the "Sakura Club" which sounds a lot like a Lounge...breakfast, evening drinks, etc.
Interesting - I wonder if it is a split branding, like is being discussed in one of the Italy property threads (I forget the property), where it is a lounge but not an "Executive Lounge" (for Honors T&C purposes). Or perhaps they just haven't loaded that attribute into the reservation system accurately - guess we'll see.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Interesting - I wonder if it is a split branding, like is being discussed in one of the Italy property threads (I forget the property), where it is a lounge but not an "Executive Lounge" (for Honors T&C purposes). Or perhaps they just haven't loaded that attribute into the reservation system accurately - guess we'll see.
Don't know for sure. But, for example, Conrad St James allows Diamonds into their only lounge, no matter what room you booked.

Have to admit, a new Conrad in DC got Mrs BlueZebra and I VERY interested for our visit to DC next year....
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Have to admit, a new Conrad in DC got Mrs BlueZebra and I VERY interested for our visit to DC next year....
Absolutely. Independent of any elite benefits, it's sure to be an extremely nice property. Given that D.C. has two RCs, a JWM, a St. Regis, and the Park Hyatt - not to mention of course the very high-end independent hotels - it is about time that Hilton delivered a top-end property, and it location in CityCenter is right in line with the brand.

Feel free to PM with any trip planning questions when the time comes...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am actually kinda surprised its taken this long for a Conrad in Washington DC as been the more international brand of the Hilton portfolio with until only recently just 4 in the US and the vast majority overseas.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
I'm glad that DC is finally getting a Conrad, although I wish it was happening a little sooner (we'll be staying at the Embassy Suites across the street in a couple of months). I've enjoyed my experiences at Conrad properties, but I really wish there were more of them in North America.

Anyway, what are we thinking for the stuffed animal? Basic bear... maybe an eagle?

Last edited by Bicoastal Local; Aug 15, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I would think a bald eagle would make the most sense, but you never know.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
Anyway, what are we thinking for the stuffed animal? Basic bear... maybe an eagle?
Originally Posted by Miesque
I would think a bald eagle would make the most sense, but you never know.
Elephant, donkey, or choice of "third party"; if you choose the third party they give you the elephant.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I walked by the site the other day and snapped a quick photo of the exterior - this is looking south from across NY Ave (not the best shot, sorry). Personally I am less than impressed with the design; it reminds me of a 90's office park building or the lower levels of a certain other D.C. resident's Chicago hotel. But D.C. isn't a city known for avant garde architecture, and hopefully the addition of the planned green roof (with trees) on the mezzanine terrace will help break up the wall of glass.
Agree. I pass by every day and the exterior is suburban DFW office park chic. Oh, well. Still nicer than the parking lot it replaced.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silverthief2
Agree. I pass by every day and the exterior is suburban DFW office park chic.
It is funny that you say this because in my OP I was actually going to say that it reminded me of the Hilton Lincoln Centre (in which I have spent many a night; perfectly decent hotel).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.