FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Honors E-check in, A waste of time! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1915764-hilton-honors-e-check-waste-time.html)

FlyerTalker6245 Jun 24, 2018 3:21 am

I’m with the OP here. Hilton just do what they want with the eCheck in. When it suits them “sorry I can’t upgrade you further as you eChecked in”, other times “the room isn’t guaranteed”.

Recent examples of failure:
* HGI Times Square - sorry your room with view of Central Park isn’t available. I cannot guarantee when it will be [after check in time]. Here’s a room without a view of Central Park

* Hilton Manhattan East - your executive suite isn’t available but don’t worry you’ve been upgraded to a junior suite instead [after waiting 3 hours after check in time for the original suite]

evergrn Jun 24, 2018 1:35 pm

At this point, my conclusion on OLCI is that I don't know what to make of it anymore.
I've been burned for using it and burned for not using it.

The app says "don't worry. check in now and we'll do our best to upgrade you when you get here."
I used to be skeptical about that comment.
These days I think it's the property that's BS'ing when they tell you 'sorry, we can't upgrade you because you already OLCI'd.'

GentleGiant Jun 24, 2018 2:30 pm

I would never check in on the app if I have not been upgraded.

Simples!

holmedown Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Maybe I have been lucky - last 4 stays checked in on the app day before - picked a room I "liked" with the standard "we will upgrade if possible" comment - and each time have been upgraded either at check-in or have had a text from the hotel prior to check-in (usually early morning) saying have been upgraded. NB This is in the UK at Hiltons & Doubletrees.

Lctkw Jun 24, 2018 4:30 pm

I was once denied an upgrade upon check in because I had already done OLCI. I just took that at face value when it happened; but after the stay a friend told me that was nonsense (the property is clearly able to make amendments on their system). So I wrote in to Hilton Honors, who confirmed that that should not have happened, and the property proceeded to email back apologising for the incident and offering 20k Honors points as a gesture of goodwill.

Voodoo Daddy Jun 25, 2018 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Lctkw (Post 29902128)
I was once denied an upgrade upon check in because I had already done OLCI. I just took that at face value when it happened; but after the stay a friend told me that was nonsense (the property is clearly able to make amendments on their system). So I wrote in to Hilton Honors, who confirmed that that should not have happened, and the property proceeded to email back apologising for the incident and offering 20k Honors points as a gesture of goodwill.

A FDC told me the same thing once. Then a week later, a FDC at the same property told me that I didn't get the room I OLCI to, because OLCI only guarantees a room type, not a specific room.

Staley Cornell Jun 26, 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 29894771)
Here's my strategy:

1. Look at the reservation and see if it was upgraded. If so, look at the floor plan to select a room.

2. No change in room status. Wait until check-in or call.

3. Digital key with the message the hotel possibility. Do it every time.

I'm staying at a MIA property with messaging and got a great room assignment, digital key and every thing I need

I am pretty new at this and this is exactly what I did for my most recent stays. I was upgraded upon check in at the desk in person each time.