FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Honors E-check in, A waste of time! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1915764-hilton-honors-e-check-waste-time.html)

ITravelElite Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Hilton Honors E-check in, A waste of time!

Hilton Honers E-check in, A waste of time:
I did the match, after 13 times a ' e-check-inn ' I did get the worse rooms ever and everything time the same response from the front-office at the hotels. "Sorry Sir, You did a E-check in and we have give you the best room.....but I did get a worse room and no upgrade!
My advice as Diamond member: Skip this and do you check in at the hotel front-office in person as Elite member.

Gr Diamond Member for a long time.

Land-of-Miles Jun 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ITravelElite (Post 29891687)
Hilton Honers E-check in, A waste of time:
I did the match, after 13 times a ' e-check-inn ' I did get the worse rooms ever and everything time the same response from the front-office at the hotels. "Sorry Sir, You did a E-check in and we have give you the best room.....but I did get a worse room and no upgrade!
My advice as Diamond member: Skip this and do you check in at the hotel front-office in person as Elite member.
Only at Marriott Hotels you will get a reeel upgrade, the system at Hilton Hotels is not ready.
Gr Diamond Member for a long time.

Marriott e check in is a total joke. You end up queung up with base punters, they never man tne priority check in and there is zero point ever checking in online.

eponymous_coward Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

I find I like it just fine. I also think most upgrades are fairly superfluous as a single traveler; do I really need a Presidential Suite if it's just me? I've been fine with the room choices I have been presented as a Gold.

(FWIW, I also book a lot of HGIs/Hampton Inns, so it's not like I'd be getting a Presidential Suite in those hotels.)

cblaisd Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29891777)
I find I like it just fine. I also think most upgrades are fairly superfluous as a single traveler; do I really need a Presidential Suite if it's just me? I've been fine with the room choices I have been presented as a Gold.

(FWIW, I also book a lot of HGIs/Hampton Inns, so it's not like I'd be getting a Presidential Suite in those hotels.)

Concur... when I'm by myself, a suite is just more space in which to forget stuff.

Try the Presidential Suite (really) at the Urbandale, Iowa, HGI :) A very nice upgrade!

My gripe with e-check in is with how slow the app/digital key is.

wizla Jun 21, 2018 3:20 pm

My experiences so far have been good, however I only e check in if preupgraded, I also quite like the digital key option....seems to work ok ( in the UK )

wizla Jun 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by wizla (Post 29892207)
My experiences so far have been good, however I only e check in if preupgraded, I also quite like the digital key option....seems to work ok ( in the UK )

......forgot to mention, whenever I've requested my digital key on the morning of the stay ahead I've always received it around lunchtime......is this the norm?

timfountain Jun 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by wizla (Post 29892211)
......forgot to mention, whenever I've requested my digital key on the morning of the stay ahead I've always received it around lunchtime......is this the norm?

I believe you get it once the previous guest has checked out and the room has been cleaned.... I never bother with it....

Kacee Jun 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Hilton e-check-in is actually really good much of the time. While some properties don't give you access to upgraded room inventory, many do.

jeffandnicole Jun 22, 2018 6:45 am

What is the worst room? 1st Floor? High Floor? Next to the Ice Maker? Far from the Elevator?

Every time I've used the e-check in, I've been given the room I selected. If the room sucked, that's on me for selecting it.

med81 Jun 22, 2018 8:36 am

I have pretty much quit using e-check in. It seems every time lately I am only offered a room with two queen beds on a low floor near the elevator. My profile preference is high floor, away from elevator and I book rooms with a king bed, not 2 queens. When I show up in person I end up with the room type and location I reserved in the first place.

tkelvin69 Jun 22, 2018 9:18 am

Here's my strategy:

1. Look at the reservation and see if it was upgraded. If so, look at the floor plan to select a room.

2. No change in room status. Wait until check-in or call.

3. Digital key with the message the hotel possibility. Do it every time.

I'm staying at a MIA property with messaging and got a great room assignment, digital key and every thing I need

wizla Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 29894771)
Here's my strategy:

1. Look at the reservation and see if it was upgraded. If so, look at the floor plan to select a room.

2. No change in room status. Wait until check-in or call.

I'm staying at a MIA property with messaging and got a great room assignment, digital key and every thing I need

Yep....my strategy too!

Lctkw Jun 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Can I just check what step 3 entails? Do you do an online checkin but message requesting upgrade?

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 29894771)
Here's my strategy:

tkelvin69 Jun 23, 2018 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Lctkw (Post 29896554)
Can I just check what step 3 entails? Do you do an online checkin but message requesting upgrade?

I use the digital key when available. When arriving the property the check-in line was going to be 30 minutes (after flight delay and waiting 1 hour for the shuttle) so I just went to the room without stopping at the desk. Make sure bluetooth is on for it to work.

The message option is nice to communicate with the hotel and for the MIA property my flight was going to be late and I had them hold my room. Never used the message option about requesting an upgrade but guess you could. I did message to ask why my corner top floor room had been changed and was advised I had been moved to a suite. :-)

fransknorge Jun 23, 2018 8:50 am

OP seems to not understand the Hilton e-checkin. Like OLCI on airlines, you can actually choose your room. If you are not happy with its location, remember you picked it yourself on an usually fairly accurate floor plan.
To checked if you are upgraded, do e-checkin the day of arrival, not the eve as upgrades usually clear during the night. And it does save time at arrival to do it. As far as I am concerned, Hilton e-checkin is a successful implementation of the concept and a real useful feature.

Try the Accor echeckin, which is really useless: no room choice, well nothing actually, you just click a few buttons. Then at arrival you redo the whole thing.