Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What's the odds of getting upgrade being a Diamond...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the odds of getting upgrade being a Diamond...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Agree, but the OP is diamond and has the lounge access anyway.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Not all diamonds are equal. Comped/bought diamonds are easily distinguishable from earned diamonds by most front desks. I have experience in both camps after years of earning I had quite a few years of comped diamond from BA.

So diamond experiences may well differ based upon whether status is earned or simply bought (via Amex or others)
Really is that so? So you've been treated less with bought status vs. earned? And what % you would say that's the case in your experience?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by englisha
I'd say in general, especially outside the US, the odds are quite good of being upgraded. In your particular example, if you are a Diamond member already and as such will have the executive lounge access anyway, i'd take the points.
As soon as I gave my name as a Diamond at the Bankside in London, the clerk immediately informed me that they were fully booked making an upgrade impossible.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Very hotel specific based on number of higher tier rooms (eg. The new Curio West Sydney only has 4 suites, the remaining rooms are identical apart from level and view) and number of other diamonds staying (eg. City Hilton's will often have many corporate diamonds)

Then some hotels will tier upgrades by some combination of rates paid, stay history at that hotel and stays/nights that year.

As for the DTKL they have generally treated Diamonds well, but Diamond treatment and quality of food offerings in the EL has declined recently. Whilst not the best EL in Asia, it's a lot better than almost anything in the US
(I've logged 10 nights there over last 5yrs or so)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Not all diamonds are equal. Comped/bought diamonds are easily distinguishable from earned diamonds by most front desks. I have experience in both camps after years of earning I had quite a few years of comped diamond from BA.

So diamond experiences may well differ based upon whether status is earned or simply bought (via Amex or others)
Is this your personal experience or do you have some data points or inside info to back this up? I was Diamond earned the hard way a few years ago. Upgrades were few and far between (although primarily US based stays). Recently got Aspire so Diamond again, but via cc. Will be interesting to see the difference, if any.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
I was told as a a Diamond that no upgrades were available at the Waldorf Hilton London because they were fully booked. I asked why they were still selling exec rooms having done a dummy booking and was then upgraded!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
In 7 years as an 100+ night diamond. I have only had two good upgrades. Barbados Hilton was given a suite a day after checkin since the room they gave us originally was I am pretty sure the worst room at the hotel. Parc in San Francisco finally relented and gave us a suite after I beat them into submission through direct message on the Hilton app. In Bali at the moment burning the rest of my points. Stayed at Hilton and booked 1bedroom villa. They messed up our airport transfer and I asked kindly for an upgrade to 2 bedroom villa since occupancy was way down as well due to major renovations. Was “giggled” at and told no, they can’t do that. Moved to Conrad and booked ocean view Conrad suite. Once again arrived at 4:30-5 and room not ready. front desk clerk sent us to horribly dusty (renovations again) main lounge not even to suites lounge. Manager came out and was apologetic. Asked for upgrade and denied once again. This is why I just book the room I desire. I can’t imagine upgrades getting any better with the ability to obtain diamond by getting a credit card. I moved over to Starwood/Marriott last year and as a platinum have been treated much better so far. At starwood properties I must emphasis. When I have stayed at Marriott properties it is much like staying at the Hilton in regards to upgrades. Just with Hilton at least you get a bottle of water.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Nobody (Emirates Etihad Thai Air Hong Kong Air Scoot Nobody) HHonors Diamond
On domestic travel I dont even ask for the upgrade and if they offer I try and get points instead. I travel to Thailand frequently and have had mixed success there. I have never been upgraded at the Hilton Sukhumvit or the DoubleTree right behind it Always get executive floor access and last time they gave me 10,000 points as well. Hilton Pattaya gave me an amazing Executive Floor suite facing Beach Road with a jacuzzi (actually just a bathtub no jets) on the balcony. Hilton Hua Hin also gave me an amazing ocean view Suite. In Tokyo all I have been able to get is a one level upgrade to Jr. Suite (still very nice room for central Tokyo) Executive Floor at Hilton Tokyo was top shelf
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Nobody (Emirates Etihad Thai Air Hong Kong Air Scoot Nobody) HHonors Diamond
Been fortunate this current Transpacific trip to HKG and BKK

at HGI Kowloon my standard room I booked was upgraded to a “Harbour View” still a tiny room but great view and I don’t think that Property even has suites

at Hilton Sukhumvit (BKK) was bumped one level from
standard room to Executive Premium room.. slightly larger higher floor North Facing to BTS Emquartier..etc

at Hilton Hua Hin midweek..hit the jackpot with a triple bump
from ocean king to an Ayuttaya suite ...try this place midweek and not on weekends when Bangkok people swarm the town

Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
As a Diamond member for 1.5 years now, I've had a 39% upgrade success rate at upgrade-eligible brands, although I still have about a 13% upgrade success rate at non-eligible-upgrade brands like HGI and Hampton. As a Gold member for 2 years before that, I actually had a 50% upgrade success rate at eligible brands. Almost all of my stays are domestic. They are almost all pre-arrival upgrades; I rarely ask about upgrades at check-in.

Most of these upgrades have been to Executive Floor rooms or slightly bigger rooms/rooms with better views. Sometimes, there's an upgrade to a true suite. Some of the more memorable upgrades:

* DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin (Austin, TX): upgraded to a large corner suite with balcony and two large bathrooms (I think there was a wet bar, too)
* Hilton Columbus Downtown (Columbus, OH): upgraded to a top-floor suite with wet bar and two bathrooms...I believe this was the largest room configuration for the hotel
* Hilton Miami Downtown (Miami, FL): upgraded to large corner suite with huge dining/conference table and two bathrooms
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yurtripper
You got THREE bears at Conrad HK and an amazing upgrade?
Now I'm mad. Just came back from there with two bears.. and got a standard Peak View room (not that the room really matters, when compared to the bears).
I enquired about the bears when I checked in so the housekeeping delivered me 2 (still in the plastic wrapper) ...but in the room there was already one bear and a duck
The duck was yellow ..if it was gold (like they sometimes have ...perhaps I need to be gold to get a gold duck!) I would have had
"GoldiDuck and the 3 bears" lol
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond

that is great news so my silver (earn the hard way) may trump the diamond comp/brought!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Alaska MVP, Flying Blue Silver

What about completing a status challenge?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
Unhappy DTKL

This used to be a Great Place, My wife thought this was her second Home.But no more. Lounge sucks,most of the Old faithful employees have left.New Ownership Group sounds Cheap.Breakfast is the same Boring,except some good South Indian Food.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond

Distinguishable as in number of stays show up ? I've not managed to glimpse what the Hilton check-in screen looks like but appreciate any info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.