Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Amex Priority Pass" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hilton Amex Priority Pass" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
When United merged with Continental, they dropped offering lounge access to holders of a Priority Pass membership from any bank, such as, Amex, Citibank. UA only allows people who buy the Priority Pass at full value (I think $395 a year) into their lounges with the Priority Pass. Amex and Citi then had the Priority Pass cards they offer renamed Priority Pass Select. Now within the Priority Pass Select there are levels of membership. The $99 card given through the Surpass Card requires you to pay $27 a visit. The more expensive Priority Pass Select card provided by Amex Plat offers you free lounge access. The Citi Prestige Priority Pass Select card gets you, the primary cardholder and an authorized user and up to two guests in free every time you visit a lounge.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have not yet used the Pass, which we got through our Hilton Surpass Amex Card.

However, I do recall looking at the website way back when when I first got the card, and I *think* I recall seeing wording on some of the lounges that said something like "this lounge does not allow access for Passes received through credit cards" or some such.

When I looked today I did not see that wording.

Has this changed and all lounges allow access, no matter how you got the Pass (paid or as a credit card perk)?

Also, my Pass expires Dec. 31, 2015 - is this something that is automatically renewed every year for free through the Surpass card, or was it a one-time only "gift"?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have not yet used the Pass, which we got through our Hilton Surpass Amex Card.

However, I do recall looking at the website way back when when I first got the card, and I *think* I recall seeing wording on some of the lounges that said something like "this lounge does not allow access for Passes received through credit cards" or some such.

When I looked today I did not see that wording.

Has this changed and all lounges allow access, no matter how you got the Pass (paid or as a credit card perk)?

Also, my Pass expires Dec. 31, 2015 - is this something that is automatically renewed every year for free through the Surpass card, or was it a one-time only "gift"?
That language referred to the fact that United clubs did not allow access via credit cards issued in the U. S. They have withdrawn from the program altogether, so that issue went away.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok, good to know.

Do you know if you get a free renewal every year or was it just a one-time shot?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Ok, good to know.

Do you know if you get a free renewal every year or was it just a one-time shot?
As long as you hold a Surpass card, you will get replacement cards when your present PP expires.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone actually used the 10 free Priority Pass admits with Hilton Amex Aspire?

How exactly does it work?

I'm flying in and out of San Juan and Delta doesn't have a lounge there, so I'm wondering how this works? Do they charge you the $29.99 to your card and then take it back off or is there some other method?

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The 10 free visits should be in your PP account. They just swipe your card (your Priority Pass membership card, not your Amex) or scan the barcode from the app, and the visit is deducted from the balance of your 10 free visit allotment. I have used it twice since the Aspire card came out and have even used 2 at once when bringing in a guest. Never been charged and my lounge visits show on my PP account online.

Edit: sorry, just realized I have an Ascend card with the 10 free visits. Not sure if Aspire works the same way.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I used it in Cancun a couple weeks ago. I just showed them my card, they scanned it, and I was in.

I did not see any charge on my Amex.

You do have to register (at least with the Ascend) to get the priority pass, which I did when the account transferred from Citi (it was a Reserve Card).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I just find Priority Pass to be useless. It is a benefit they tag on several different credit cards and have yet to find it valuable
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:54 pm

Does anybody know how long it actually takes them to send out the card after you register?

I tried to register online, where it says 10-14 days. The website gave me an error and told me to contact customer care, so I did a webchat and they claimed to enroll me that way but this time it said 6-8 weeks for the card to arrive which seems like a huge difference.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
Does anybody know how long it actually takes them to send out the card after you register?

I tried to register online, where it says 10-14 days. The website gave me an error and told me to contact customer care, so I did a webchat and they claimed to enroll me that way but this time it said 6-8 weeks for the card to arrive which seems like a huge difference.
I got mine in about 4 weeks. But I am thinking that there is a way to get an app on your phone that you can use to show membership if you need to.

The welcome letter mentioned something about it. Can they at least get you your membership number so you can log on the the PP website and maybe download the app?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I just finished a two week trip to China and used it twice in Guilin and once in Terminal 2 in Beijing. The Guilin lounge was sparse and small (really not worth much). The Beijing lounge was OK. There were some food dishes, beverages (including alcohol), and English newspapers. It was worthwhile if you want a quiet place to hang out.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I got mine in about 4 weeks. But I am thinking that there is a way to get an app on your phone that you can use to show membership if you need to.

The welcome letter mentioned something about it. Can they at least get you your membership number so you can log on the the PP website and maybe download the app?
They gave me my membership nimber over the phone. Then you can just create an account, download the app and use that. No membership card necessary. Although I did receive mine a couple of weeks later.
GuyverII likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I just find Priority Pass to be useless. It is a benefit they tag on several different credit cards and have yet to find it valuable
I was in Cancun on a busy Saturday. The terminal is completely packed. People are sitting on the floor. Every restaurant has a line to be seated.

The PP is a small little VIP salon. It was a little crowded, but I got a soft couch and some coffee, and then a couple of beers. It was free. I used one of my 10 passes.

My home airport has no PP lounge yet. I will probably not have the opportunity to use all 10 free visits this year, so I am going to use them when I can. I certainly didn't get the CC to get the passes, but it is a nice benefit that I will take.
preahkaew likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I was in Cancun on a busy Saturday. The terminal is completely packed. People are sitting on the floor. Every restaurant has a line to be seated.

The PP is a small little VIP salon. It was a little crowded, but I got a soft couch and some coffee, and then a couple of beers. It was free. I used one of my 10 passes.

My home airport has no PP lounge yet. I will probably not have the opportunity to use all 10 free visits this year, so I am going to use them when I can. I certainly didn't get the CC to get the passes, but it is a nice benefit that I will take.
The club would literally not exist if someone did not find value in it. My comment was simply that for my travel and home airport the benefit is worthless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.