Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond v. Gold: is there a tangible difference in perks?

Old Feb 10, 18, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to credit card status, I've been an Honors Gold member "forever." And I've generally been satisfied by the on-property perks of Gold. I appreciate the free breakfast at full-service hotels, and I've generally been granted lounge access at hotels that have lounges. I've also usually gotten room upgrades at hotels that have nicer rooms.

I was once -- briefly -- a Diamond member due to some Honors promotion, but I don't recall getting better perks when I was. And given the "trouble" of maintaining that status, I never seriously considered it.

But now AMEX has the Aspire card, so becoming a Diamond is fairly cheap and easy (undoubtedly annoying to those who actually earned it). I've heard rumors that "foreign hotels treat you better as a Diamond" so I'm inclined to get this new AMEX card -- as I have several stays at full service foreign hotels planned for this year. Is there much truth to these rumors, and are the increased benefits at all predictable -- and meaningful? And do I have to read the reviews for each property to predict what I might get (which I assume will influence my decision as to which property to stay in when there are multiple Hilton choices)? Thanks for any wisdom that can be shared.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
You always get lounge access. You get more points. You are more likely to get a suite upgrade.

But overall, Hilton Diamond is (IMO) considerably less valuable than top tier at Hyatt, SPG, or Marriott.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I've been a diamond for majority of years since 2000 and I can say with very few exceptions it gives hardly any extra tangible benefits in the United States. It does give faster point accrual and the 48 hour room guarantee, which even then does not work during periods of extraordinary demand. You are almost guaranteed to never get walked as a diamond as well, since the hotel must do a lot to make up for it. In the early days I've been a diamond, probably 2000-2007, upgrades at HGI's to their "2 room suite" was almost automatic. Now it happens maybe 25% of the time. I've never traveled internationally but from everything I've read as well, diamond's are treated royally especially in east Asia.
BearX220, Seabilly and MountainGuy like this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You always get lounge access. You get more points. You are more likely to get a suite upgrade.

But overall, Hilton Diamond is (IMO) considerably less valuable than top tier at Hyatt, SPG, or Marriott.
The same could be said for Marriott in my experience: Platinum seems more like Gold+
Old Feb 10, 18, 4:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
But now AMEX has the Aspire card, so becoming a Diamond is fairly cheap and easy (undoubtedly annoying to those who actually earned it).
Any hotel that checks a guests history before handing out upgrades will place certain diamonds above others. This has happened to me numerous times and is what I like about the program.
Old Feb 10, 18, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ozztraveller View Post
Any hotel that checks a guests history before handing out upgrades will place certain diamonds above others. This has happened to me numerous times and is what I like about the program.
Which is one of my lingering doubts about Aspire Diamond status - may not get you much in upgrades.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes. When I was staying at Conrad Bali, both Golds and Diamonds get free breakfast; only Diamonds get lounge access.

Last edited by mediator; Feb 10, 18 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I've heard rumors that "foreign hotels treat you better as a Diamond" so I'm inclined to get this new AMEX card -- as I have several stays at full service foreign hotels planned for this year. Is there much truth to these rumors, and are the increased benefits at all predictable -- and meaningful? And do I have to read the reviews for each property to predict what I might get (which I assume will influence my decision as to which property to stay in when there are multiple Hilton choices)? Thanks for any wisdom that can be shared.
As a Diamond, I have zero complaints as to how I've been treated abroad. Guaranteed lounge access is huge if you're staying at hotels with very good lounges (think Hilton Tokyo, literally any Conrad in Asia). I've had nice room upgrades, drink chits included at hotels that don't have a lounge (Hilton Narita, I even got a couple of drink chits at the Hilton Tokyo and they have a lounge!), lots of benefits that I never got as a Gold. If you're mostly a US/Canada stayer the marginal difference between Gold and Diamond is pretty much nil, and I say that as somebody who has been Silver, Gold, and Diamond over the last few years.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yeah. It would be nice if Hilton would include guaranteed suite night upgrades like SPG or Hyatt does.
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.3 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Total Rewards Diamond
For me, in CONUS, Diamond hasn't given me anything I value more than Gold did. In my mind, the only reason I keep going for Diamond is a shot at Lifetime Diamond in 3 more years.
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Forget to add, diamonds get preferred parking at HGI or Hampton Inn in US.
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
Forget to add, diamonds get preferred parking at HGI or Hampton Inn in US.
Well, there are signs that say that the spots are for Diamonds only. Claiming anything more than that is a reach...
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:03 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by ozztraveller View Post
Is it for sure that this occurs? That certain properties have a way of sorting out elite Diamonds from pseudo Diamonds (eg, status match, Aspire) and then treat them accordingly? Or is this a speculation?
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Executive lounge access is getting less and less given away to Gold members, as per personal experience....
I am finding Marriott Gold benefits more consistent (lounge guarantees access and 4 p.m. late guaranteed ceckout !!!).
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:08 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by Hippster View Post
I've never traveled internationally but from everything I've read as well, diamond's are treated royally especially in east Asia.
I go to Jpn and HKG regularly, been to Singapore two years in a row now.
As diamond, we are treated very well in HKG and Singapore. Not as much in Jpn.
Old Feb 11, 18, 3:08 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Agree with many above. If you are primarily North America diamond is minimally better than gold. Would not pay extra for it via card status. In Asia You are more likely to see a difference althoughi have been treated very well when I was a gold in Asia too eg exec floor with lounge access at Conrad Bangkok and Tokyo as gold.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: