FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Can I still get hilton honors points if I book my hotels from hotels.com? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1879303-can-i-still-get-hilton-honors-points-if-i-book-my-hotels-hotels-com.html)

John Wang Nov 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Can I still get hilton honors points if I book my hotels from hotels.com?

I stay in Hilton pretty often for business trips. And I usually book non-chained hotels for personal travels from hotels.com to accumulate points in one central place. But I am about to book two Hilton villages for personal trips so I am wondering if HHonors grants points ans stays for rooms booked from hotels.com. I am not greedy so it is totally fine if Hilton does not. But if it does, I will be happy to get double bonuses. Any experience? Thanks!

flyupfrnt Nov 24, 2017 6:21 pm

IIRC you do earn points but get no Status benefits when booking through 3rd party channels.

PayItForward Nov 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt (Post 29097000)
IIRC you do earn points but get no Status benefits when booking through 3rd party channels.

My understanding is the exact opposite.
3rd party (channel) bookings get ZERO points / stays / nights Credit.
If property goes above and beyond, Elite members might get some Status benefits.

flyupfrnt Nov 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward (Post 29097424)
My understanding is the exact opposite.
3rd party (channel) bookings get ZERO points / stays / nights Credit.
If property goes above and beyond, Elite members might get some Status benefits.

Perhaps you are right. I always book direct and it’s been a good many years since a stay in Washington DC that was booked 3rd party.

jerry a. laska Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Terms and conditions say no points, stay or night credit, or on property benefits. That said some properties may provide on property benefits. See:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...s-treated.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show....php?t=1874323
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...d-party-5.html

writerguyfl Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm

You do not get stay/night credits nor points (unless the hotel makes a mistake) if you book via a third-party website like hotels.com. That's clearly stated in the Hilton Honors Terms and Conditions under the Accrual of Points section:

3. A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again. Specifically excluded from the definition of "stay" are the following types of ineligible stays:
  • third party websites bookings (irrespective of rate paid); and
  • "opaque" channel bookings where the brand may or may not be known at the time of purchase.
Source: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/t...rual_of_points

(Looks like Mr. jerry a. laska beat me by a few seconds.)

John Wang Nov 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Thank you guys so much for the information! They are indeed clear and helpful. One interesting thing is my business trips are booked through corp-contractor but I indeed get status and points. I guess business trips are treated differently. Hotels are usually more nice to business travelers. :) I never paid attention to this until this black Friday. :)

philemer Nov 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt (Post 29097000)

That's what happened to me. Booked room thru Chase UR (Connexions) and I got points but no "stay" credit.

RogerD408 Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by John Wang (Post 29097605)
Thank you guys so much for the information! They are indeed clear and helpful. One interesting thing is my business trips are booked through corp-contractor but I indeed get status and points. I guess business trips are treated differently. Hotels are usually more nice to business travelers. :) I never paid attention to this until this black Friday. :)

Generally, "third-party channels" excludes corporate booking engines like Concur, AMEX, and the such. Credit is earned.

Conflipper Sep 1, 2019 9:08 pm

I booked through Hotels.com and when checking into Embassy Suites tonight. Guy at counter asked me for Hilton honors member number so I could get credit for my stays. I did not expect that. But I will take it. Especially when booking is for 15 nights.

storewanderer Sep 2, 2019 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Conflipper (Post 31480995)
I booked through Hotels.com and when checking into Embassy Suites tonight. Guy at counter asked me for Hilton honors member number so I could get credit for my stays. I did not expect that. But I will take it. Especially when booking is for 15 nights.

Let us know if you get credit. They can add your number to the reservation. If you run a Hilton American Express at check in, it will automatically attach your Honors number to the reservation (as it does for me on Priceline Opaque stays... oh that is a trick from the old days on how to get points from Priceline opaque bookings... RIP).. but you won't get any points.

whaleship Sep 5, 2019 8:08 pm

I've gotten points from an HGI stay that I booked through Expedia more than 10 years ago. Originally, the points did not post because Hilton Honors does not give points when you book through a third party. I called Hilton Honors customer service and they manually added the stay and points to my Honors account, albeit this was a long time ago, not sure if they would do this now. Ever since then I have not booked IHG or Hilton brand hotels on Expedia or Hotels.com, and now whenever I use those I usually just book boutique hotels or hotels in different countries.

hotturnip Sep 6, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Conflipper (Post 31480995)

Don't expect to actually receive the points after you leave. Somebody at the hotel (or at Hhonors) will catch this.

triplefives Sep 24, 2019 11:45 am

If I book two nights separately on Hilton.com, I’ve had to bring to the hotel staff’s attention that there were two reservations. Obviously, these two nights get combined into one stay for stay credits.

Lets say I purchase the first night in Hilton.com and the second night through Expedia, does anyone know what would happen with status benefits and point earnings?

formeraa Sep 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 29099130)
Generally, "third-party channels" excludes corporate booking engines like Concur, AMEX, and the such. Credit is earned.

Yes, we use Concur at work and I DO get points/stay credit/gold benefits.

travelinfoo Sep 29, 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives (Post 31558775)
If I book two nights separately on Hilton.com, I’ve had to bring to the hotel staff’s attention that there were two reservations. Obviously, these two nights get combined into one stay for stay credits.

Lets say I purchase the first night in Hilton.com and the second night through Expedia, does anyone know what would happen with status benefits and point earnings?

I did a 4 night stay, 3 booked via Hilton and last night via hotels.com. I got benefits for all 4 nights but points and credits for only 3 booked via Hilton.

triplefives Oct 1, 2019 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo (Post 31576741)
I did a 4 night stay, 3 booked via Hilton and last night via hotels.com. I got benefits for all 4 nights but points and credits for only 3 booked via Hilton.

Thanks for the info - with the recent changes to the Citi Prestige (4th night free benefit now requires cardholders to book through the ThankYou network which counts as an online travel agent), this seems like it could be a strategy to offset some of the devalued benefits.

Tim P Nov 9, 2019 1:03 am

Hotels.com credit PLUS Hilton Honors Points

I have found a workaround for this that consistently works. I book my Hilton stays through Hotels.com and choose the Pay At Hotel option. I then pay for my stay at the hotel using my Hilton Surpass Amex card. Amex will credit 12x Hilton points to my Honors account as all they see is money spent at a Hilton brand hotel, they don’t know it was booked third party. I end up with my Hotels.com credit and Honors points.

:D! Nov 9, 2019 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Tim P (Post 31717985)
I have found a workaround for this that consistently works. I book my Hilton stays through Hotels.com and choose the Pay At Hotel option. I then pay for my stay at the hotel using my Hilton Surpass Amex card. Amex will credit 12x Hilton points to my Honors account as all they see is money spent at a Hilton brand hotel, they don’t know it was booked third party. I end up with my Hotels.com credit and Honors points.

This is not a workaround, it is intended to work this way. You aren't getting Honors points from the stay, just the credit card spend.