Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Desk Phone Line?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Gold Desk Phone Line?

I was very disappointed at the quality and service of the phone rep I got when calling the number on the website and on the app.

Is there a separate Gold Desk line? I couldn't find it on the app.
My question was pretty easy, but he couldn't grasp it. I have a 3 night rez and want to extend it one night. The rate is available online for the extra night, but for some reason I can't extend my existing rez and get the same rate. I may just give up an book a separate rez for the other night, but wanted to find out if there is a Gold line for future reference.

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
For extending reservations, I find it easier to call the hotel to make the change
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by EWR-6785
I was very disappointed at the quality and service of the phone rep I got when calling the number on the website and on the app.

Is there a separate Gold Desk line? I couldn't find it on the app.
My question was pretty easy, but he couldn't grasp it. I have a 3 night rez and want to extend it one night. The rate is available online for the extra night, but for some reason I can't extend my existing rez and get the same rate. I may just give up an book a separate rez for the other night, but wanted to find out if there is a Gold line for future reference.

Thanks
If the one-night rate matches what you have for your three-night rez now, you might be less frustrated just booking the fourth night separately and asking the property to combine them at check in.

Hotels can apply many different rules to rates and the CSRs are not always able to change them. Try booking all four nights as a new rez and see if your rate is still available. If so, AND you are within the cancellation period for the 3-night rez, book the 4-nights and THEN cancel your 3-nights. Always secure what you want at the rate you want before giving up what you have.

Personally when I have a multiple-night stay coming up, I check the rate for the entire stay as well as all individual and combination of nights. I often find specials that make the stay cheaper (not always significant though). Many times I am able to keep the same room, sometimes I need to move, I'm ok with that.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by EWR-6785
My question was pretty easy, but he couldn't grasp it. I have a 3 night rez and want to extend it one night. The rate is available online for the extra night, but for some reason I can't extend my existing rez and get the same rate.
Certainly, you may have gotten a poorly trained agent. They're not all stellar. However, it's also possible that he was correct.

Technically, you don't modify existing reservations. Instead, the computer cancels the current reservations and rebooks it (but keeps the same reservation number). The obstacle is that the "new" reservation must meet whatever rate and stay restrictions in place.

For example, if any of the three nights of your original reservation are now sold out, the computer will not allow you to add that additional night.

This may seem nonsensical. After all, most people would think that the hotel would appreciate selling an additional night. Saying "no" here might lead to the guest to cancel and book at a different hotel with availability for the 4 nights. As a former Revenue Manager, I'll say that sometimes the desired outcome is cancelation simply because the hotel is overbooked.

If you can't get 4 nights online or by calling, try RogerD408's suggestion of booking the additional night as a separate reservation. Provided you book the same room type, most hotels will want to keep you in the same room.

From having been on both sides of the Front Desk, I wish hotels were more upfront about how this works. As far as I know, all the major chains use this cancel-rebook method when guests try to modify their existing reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.