Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

When a Diamond member complains, what happens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

What exactly happens when a Diamond Hilton Honors member complains to the Diamond Desk...

I read somewhere on this forum (sorry can't find it cos I don't even know what to put under search).. that the hotel gets fined or something like that..

I had an incident at the DT Kuala Lumpur which the Operations Manager wrote back and apologised... and then he said he will make right...and a week later, wrote to me and offered 1000 points.

That's kinda low isn't it?

So I called up Hilton Honors and basically asked the rep if 1000 points was sufficient and the rep totally understood my problem...and promptly gave me 10,000 points instead. Actually the 1000 points the Operations guy said he was giving still hadn't been posted. But as I frequent this hotel quite often.. I don't want them to spit into my cookie when I next check in..
So wondering if the hotel gets a talking down from the Diamond Desk..

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Oct 6, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I don't know what happens between Hilton Corporate and the particular hotel, but the two times that I complained about a property I got contacted by the hotel's manager with an offer of a free night. I assume that the hotel does get fined if the complaint proves to be legitimate. I was not offered any points by the Diamond desk; all they did was forward my complaint to the property for them to deal with it. I believe once you have complained and once the DD forwarded your complaint to the property they are required to reply to you within a certain period of time. Never had bad treatment at the two properties afterwards. In fact, I have stayed at one of them 4 or 5 more times after I complained and got great upgrades. I think if you have a valid complaint and the property admits that they were not up to the standard no one would try to 'punish' you for complaining.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I'm almost certain the hotel does not get fined.

I made the same complaint to the Diamond Desk 4x in a row over the span of 3 months about a specific, repeated issue I had at 4 consecutive stays. The hotel refused to post points and remained unresponsive to other questions. The Diamond Desk would post the points and says "we've requested the hotel contact you directly", typical lip service.

After the 4th stay where the same issues were encountered, I posted a concise, accurate, and critical review on TripAdvisor. The hotel's ownership team replied to my post within 12 hours. During my next stay, I was greeted by name and all of the issues were resolved and remain resolved.

Before anyone asks, I continue to frequent this property because it is the only Hilton branded hotel within an hour's drive of where I need to be.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Years ago, I booked at a property undergoing renovations that really shouldn't have been renting rooms, but temporarily shut down instead. Diamond desk agreed, with the management contacting me at their prodding, giving me points equivalent to that night's cost, but with (an inferred) tone of being compelled to do so, rather than truly admitting a problem.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:47 pm
jtr

Programs: AC E50K, HH Diamond
I find treatment as a Diamond when issues arise is laughable ... had an reservation cancelled for no reason recently (guessing a glitch in the system, no biggie, right?) -- I noticed online as it wasn't in my reservations so I contacted them. Was told to go back and rebook myself, no help at all, no apology, nothing. Was told I must have cancelled it...! Sad state of service for ANYONE ... let alone a top paying customer...

Don't know if it's a "we have them in the bag" attitude?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What exactly happens when a Diamond Hilton Honors member complains to the Diamond Desk...

I read somewhere on this forum (sorry can't find it cos I don't even know what to put under search).. that the hotel gets fined or something like that..

I had an incident at the DT Kuala Lumpur which the Operations Manager wrote back and apologised... and then he said he will make right...and a week later, wrote to me and offered 1000 points.

That's kinda low isn't it?

So I called up Hilton Honors and basically asked the rep if 1000 points was sufficient and the rep totally understood my problem...and promptly gave me 10,000 points instead. Actually the 1000 points the Operations guy said he was giving still hadn't been posted. But as I frequent this hotel quite often.. I don't want them to spit into my cookie when I next check in..
So wondering if the hotel gets a talking down from the Diamond Desk..
I understand if a case file gets opened by the ddesk the property has to pay a couple of hundred dollars..given the turnover at the DT dont worry about anyone spitting in your cookie
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond + Marriott Gold
"When a Diamond member complains, what happens?"

An angel loses their wings.
sebseb, nlkm9, DiverDave and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jerry Vandesic

LOL - That was exactly what I was going to respond
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jerry Vandesic

how many wings does an angel have? Because we know HH diamonds are a dime a dozen.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:28 pm

I can't comment on Hilton properties, as I never worked in one. But in the chain I did work, there were no fines. If a complaint made to the Central Reservations Office/Corporate Office/Reward Program is deemed valid, the hotel got a demerit. Each year, a hotel could only get a certain number of demerits to remain in the chain.

If the Corporate Office felt that any service recovery gesture from the hotel was insufficient, they would provide the guest additional compensation. The cost of that compensation would get billed back to the hotel.

Although they may still earn a service recovery gesture, highly subjective complaints didn't count as black marks against the hotel. For example, a complaint that a hotel employee was rude to a guest likely wouldn't hurt the hotel. Complaints need to be concrete and provable in order to be used as the basis for keeping/ditching the hotel from the chain.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Oct 6, 2017 at 9:53 pm Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The hotel will be billed back for any points that Hilton Guest Assistance (Diamond Desk) awards to you.

I too have found properties tend to be a little unresponsive to complaints filed through Hilton Guest Assistance. I have had to prod for call backs in a couple of cases, along with sending e-mails to people who I should not have to be contacting, if the management of the hotel had simply contacted me as I had asked.

As a gold I too have gotten that "customary" 10,000 points on a couple of complaints over the past 5ish years.

Another way to indirectly complain seems to be the survey that you get after the stay. About 6 years ago, I had a stay at a rural HGI in a town with tight employment in hotel jobs due to the mining jobs there paying so much higher wages. The stay was terrible. The employee was sitting on the lobby couch when I walked in. I was assigned a non smoking room right next to the smoking rooms, despite making a request from my last stay there to please be placed AWAY from the smoking rooms. My room was moved but when I went back the lobby, the clerk was so disinterested. The room I was moved to had cracked tiles in the bathroom, the window did not close all the way, and I just accepted it because at that point I was late and tired. At check out, I unfortunately saw the same clerk again and as you can guess was not asked how everything was, so I left. I then got the survey, and recounted the whole experience. The general manager contacted me and apologized and automatically refunded the stay and said this will not happen again. I've stayed there a couple times since then and notice I have been placed on the very opposite end of the building from the smoking rooms.
judyush likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I've stayed there a couple times since then and notice I have been placed on the very opposite end of the building from the smoking rooms.
Thanks for sharing. In your subsequent stays, was the disinterested employee anywhere to be seen? TIA
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:23 am

During one stay, I received the online survey the morning after my first night of a two-night stay and the hotel's response was instantaneous.

At check-in, the Front Desk lied about no Exec level rooms. These rooms were clearly bookable for the following week. I checked in close to 11:00 pm, so chances of new bookings that night would be rare. Before going to my room, I stopped in the Exec Lounge to pick up a can of sparkling water. The attendant told me I had to drink it in the Lounge. At 5:00 a.m. the next morning, the TV turned on by itself. Housekeeping had forgotten to check off the TV wake-up.

When I got the online survey, I brought up all of the above issues. When I went downstairs for breakfast and gave my room number, a gentleman standing close by overheard and immediately approached me. He was the Duty Manager and Hilton had already contacted the hotel. Miraculously, an Exec-level suite became available and amenities were delivered to the suite after I moved in.
judyush likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by dave1013
Thanks for sharing. In your subsequent stays, was the disinterested employee anywhere to be seen? TIA
No, the employee was not there. I suspect that employee was already "on the way out" before I even arrived at the hotel. Potentially already serving out a two week notice or similar.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
When you complain to guest services they either intervene immediately or send the complaint to the property for resolution. If the response from the hotel is unsatisfactory, or not sent within 48 hours guest services has to get involved the property is charged an intervention fee. The intervention fee varies on the status tier of the member. The property is also billed back for any service recoveries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.