Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:40 am

Other than the level of acceptability of Visa over Amex, believe it or not, the biggest perk of the Citi Card I will miss is the Price Rewind Benefit. Since I have had this benefit, I have been reimbursed almost $1500!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, JetBlue, AA, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by zubinh
Other than the level of acceptability of Visa over Amex, believe it or not, the biggest perk of the Citi Card I will miss is the Price Rewind Benefit. Since I have had this benefit, I have been reimbursed almost $1500!

Citi has that benefit on their AA card as well if you are interested.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by zubinh
I'll miss the included travel insurance that also covers "pets" as a reason.

Now I have to purchase a Cancel for Any Reason policy independently at a cost of about $200.
Ouch.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Citi cards have one of the best extended warranty programs. Two years beyond manufacturer's PLUS any extended warranty you bought. Also you don't have to charge the entire purchase to the Citi credit card, but they'll only cover up to the amount charged.

Reason enough for me to want to keep a Citi credit card. I'm hoping they'll give us an option to convert to some other Citi product.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm pretty sure the citi double cashback card also have the price rollback guarantee and extended warranty. Pretty generous rewards on the card, 2% and no annual fee. Only drawback is there is FTF so doesn't work for overseas purchases but it's my everyday purchase card once all my annual minimum spends on other cards are met for the year
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm pretty sure the citi double cashback card also have the price rollback guarantee and extended warranty. Pretty generous rewards on the card, 2% and no annual fee. Only drawback is there is FTF so doesn't work for overseas purchases but it's my everyday purchase card once all my annual minimum spends on other cards are met for the year
I have that card as well and will definitely keep it. I think all Citi cards have the rollback and extended warranty benefits.

I was concerned about items purchased on the HHonors being covered once the card goes away, but I just checked w/ the benefits desk and they confirmed that the extended warranty would continue to apply to any items purchased on the HHonors card.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm sort of surprised Citi didn't push harder to keep Hilton since Am Ex partners with SPG and Chase partners with Marriott, IHG and Hyatt.
Um, why are you counting SPG at Amex, given that:
Marriott and SPG are merging, and are going to combine programs, sometime in 2018 most likely. It's not all clear that Amex will remain a credit card providor for the new merged program (since Marriott is bigger than Starwood and so it's more likely for that reason that Chase might win out over Amex if the merged program only wants one credit card providor), so it's quite possible that the only hotel Amex will be left with would be Hilton.

And so it could be that Amex pushed harder (for the exclusivety) because they know that might be the case in another year or so.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by stanj
I have that card as well and will definitely keep it. I think all Citi cards have the rollback and extended warranty benefits.

I was concerned about items purchased on the HHonors being covered once the card goes away, but I just checked w/ the benefits desk and they confirmed that the extended warranty would continue to apply to any items purchased on the HHonors card.
Good pint about the merger. I'm nervous about the delta and spg partnership going away, I've been treated great by spgwoth late checkouts with that benefit. If it goes away and Hilton is the only am ex hotel partner it would be great if hikton formed a partnership with delta
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
So, we have now received three different answers from Citi. It will either be an Amex card, a Citi card, or they don't know yet! Helpful.
There's a new theory out there (which could explain some of the conflicting statements):

Maybe the Reserve card will be converted to an Amex-issued card, but the no-fee card will stay at Citi and convert to something else Citi?

Of course, it's just one more rumor, and an announcement would be far better than more rumors.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 9, 2017 at 8:24 am Reason: card name typo corrected
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's a new theory out there (which could explain some of the conflicting statements):

Maybe the Surpass card will be converted to an Amex-issued card, but the no-fee card will stay at Citi and convert to something else Citi?

Of course, it's just one more rumor, and an announcement would be far better than more rumors.
I think you mean Reserve, Surpass is an Amex card.

Reserve to Surpass does make sense since both have an annual fee.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I think you mean Reserve, Surpass is an Amex card.

Reserve to Surpass does make sense since both have an annual fee.
Any Hilton Amex would be fine. However, if they give me another Citi card then I will cancel asap. I need something that I can use at Hilton properties.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Still no word on this, or even slightly more likely rumors?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm definitely leaning toward the Citi double cash back card.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I did my first overseas trip with the Amex Surpass card (used it to get my reward spend). I only used it on lodging, but those FTF added up pretty quickly. I incurred about $35 in FTF. I used the Reserve card for other purchases. If Amex doesn't do something about the FTF, the value proposition of using that card for lodging overseas drops. I have already paid the difference in annual fees between the reserve and the surpass and that was on only one trip.

Watching this closely to see whether it necessitates a switch to a non hotel branded credit card, which changes the hotel preferences as well.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I did my first overseas trip with the Amex Surpass card (used it to get my reward spend). I only used it on lodging, but those FTF added up pretty quickly. I incurred about $35 in FTF. I used the Reserve card for other purchases. If Amex doesn't do something about the FTF, the value proposition of using that card for lodging overseas drops. I have already paid the difference in annual fees between the reserve and the surpass and that was on only one trip.

Watching this closely to see whether it necessitates a switch to a non hotel branded credit card, which changes the hotel preferences as well.
I completely agree that the FTF needs to go. I never use the card overseas just for that reason. The SPG card doesn't charge FTF's, so if AmEx releases a new Hilton card at $95, I would hope the FTF would disappear, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.