Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa {PYF}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa {PYF}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:39 am

October GLON stay at Bora Bora Nui

Hi!

I consider to book GLON for October 09. On the website I can find availability.

Here is the thing:
I will fall back to silver w Hilton by end of June. For some other reason I was talking to the hotline the other day and somehow managed to get a Q3 Fast Track Challenge for GLD or Diamond.

Now I'm seriously consider to check into the local Hilton/Doubletree (70 - 80 USD per night) just to get the required stays in order to score back my GLD status.

However, I would only be able to convince Ms. Hamurabi to do so if I could be reasonably sure it would pay off (ideally via upgrade - although 90 USD bfast benefit sounds nice as well).

Reading this Thread I understand that we had at least 2 fellow FT who received a (1-class?) upgrade and free breakfast in this property for GLD. Is that right?

Any negative reports wrt the upgrade?

More importantly: can I assume an upgrade to OWB?

IF we were to fly there it would be a hellish PVG-AKL-PPT trip which is also pretty pricy. To face a 'pay 200 USD per night or stay in a motel room' situation would be a pretty bad start.

I'd probably would stay home then...

For what it's worth: this stay would fall within 6 months after our wedding so I could argue this is our honeymoon...

Appreciate any input...

Regards
Ham
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hamurabi2008
Hi!

However, I would only be able to convince Ms. Hamurabi to do so if I could be reasonably sure it would pay off (ideally via upgrade - although 90 USD bfast benefit sounds nice as well).

More importantly: can I assume an upgrade to OWB?

Sorry to disappoint you, but you cannot assume that you have any chance to get an upgrade to an OWB as either a Gold or a Diamond.

Your award reservation will get you a KING OR TWIN LAGOON VIEW VILLA.

If you are either Gold or Diamond at the time of check-in you can expect to be upgraded to KING BEACH VILLA, which is a one category upgrade.

Both the BEACH VILLA and the LAGOON VIEW VILLA are fine accommodations and you any you wife should enjoy your stay. If you would like to surprise you wife, then why not write to the Hotel, tell them that your visit will be your (late) honeymoon and ask them what they would charge for an upgrade to an OWB for the first night of your stay.

You might be lucky.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by Hamurabi2008

Here is the thing:
I will fall back to silver w Hilton by end of June.
The American Express Hilton Honors Surpass card gives you gold status for your first year of cardmembership. The annual fee is $75.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by PatMike
The American Express Hilton Honors Surpass card gives you gold status for your first year of cardmembership. The annual fee is $75.
Hi!
Thanks for the advise.
Unfortunately I don't reside in the US and thus cannot get this card...

I think I scrap my BOB plans for now in order to avoid disappointment.

I think we will spend less and also have a great time travelling in SE Asia...

But thanks!
Regards
Ham
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
anyone have any success stories with a paid upgrade to an OWB on a standard award? if so, can you please share details and the contact person (PM is fine)? Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by araknis
anyone have any success stories with a paid upgrade to an OWB on a standard award? if so, can you please share details and the contact person (PM is fine)? Thanks.
I'm also interested in this information. OWB or bust!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Exclamation $400/night to upgrade at Bora Bora Nui??

Was just told over the phone by a BBN hotel rep (not a Papeete-based reservations agent, because they referred me directly to the hotel) that to upgrade to an OWB from a King Lagoon View Villa at the Bora Bora Nui would be 30,000 FP francs, or about $400/night. That's about twice what it would cost at the Moorea. We have an award stay in September. I knew it was an expensive hotel, but is this consistent with anyone else's experience? FWIW, I'm a HH Gold.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold
Bora Bora is more expensive than Moorea for sure.

I can't speak to the exact amount that the upgrade has gone for in the past, but that seems pretty consistent.

On paid stays, those OWBs are more than twice that amount.

Bora Bora is a VERY expensive place.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
It is one of the reasons SPG let hotels pretty much set the rates for point use. On the higher end hotels like that they worked out a conversion rate for the most part, since they were not close to anything else.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:32 am
Original Poster

As a Gold member of HHonors you can expect an upgrade from a KING LAGOON to a KING BEACH plus a complimentary breakfast.

An upgrade to a KING OVERWATER villa would be considered a double upgrade and Hilton expects that you pay the difference. As a Diamond, I tried to get them to give me a free upgrade but they would not budge. From memory, the cost of the upgrade was 23,000 francs.

While the O/W villas are nice, you will not be disappointed with the King Beach Villa.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks a lot folks, and especially Bondiboy, for the feedback. I kick myself a bit for not checking on this sooner, but so it goes.

Anyway, Bondiboy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that: 1. The King Beach upgrade, if available, would be free and that 2. We'll only find out if it's available when we actually check in. Do I have that right?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Beach versus Hillside room?

While I realize the real prize rooms at the BBN are the OWB, within our price range my wife and I have a choice between a beach bungalow (which I'm getting a free upgrade to by virtue of my HH Gold status) and (at an affordable for us upgrade price) a hillside one. We love views, so the hillside is very appealing IF in fact it has better views and is not blocked by foliage. So...how do the views compare? Is it a big climb up and down to them? (We're in good shape, but get very lazy during beach vacations.) Are they buggy by virtue of being in the foliage and/or close to any roads that would make them noisy? Is one kind or the other more private?

Thanks for any answers to these admittedly obsessive questions.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Aug 1, 2009 at 5:38 pm
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Beach bungalows have a walkway between them and the beach, and are least private. Hillside bungalows will have stunning views, but are a schlepp. Of course you can have the resort pick you up/drop you off. Not close to roads that would mean noise, the resort is on its own motu. Imagine there's more bugs up in the hillside bungalows but I don't recall this.

Do enjoy dinner at Villa Mahana while you're on Bora Bora. Make reservations in advance of your trip. PM me if you need email address for the chef to do so.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the useful info, Gleff. I may be in touch re VM, but in the meantime I very much appreciate your input.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for yet more questions about this hotel...I'm now leaning toward doing the upgrade to an OWB. The Hilton BBN website lists three types of OWBs: Over Water Villa, Over Water Horizon and Over Water Deluxe. What's the difference? And which is better, the Over Water Horizon or the Over Water Deluxe?

Thanks for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.