FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Choose hotel solely because of the in room toiletries? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1699394-choose-hotel-solely-because-room-toiletries.html)

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 6:50 am

Choose hotel solely because of the in room toiletries?

It's a toss between various Hiltons, Doubletrees or Waldorf Astoria for my coming trip to NYC. I gathered I'm here on a business trip where most of the time would be spent in the office or out with clients, taxi and meals are paid for by the company, and Diamond status doesn't mean much anyway as most NYC hotels don't have lounges.

Inclined to go for Waldorf Astoria instead of the other Hilton properties solely because it provides Ferragamo branded toiletries which I can bring back for home use after a week's hectic travel, instead of the run-of-the-mill stuff at other Hiltons.

Is this the right decision? Has anyone made conscious hotel choices based on the type of toiletries they provide?

travisw Aug 1, 2015 7:16 am

I dislike Aroma Active, Doubletree's new line, so if there is a choice of hotels, I will always choose a non-Doubletree hotel going forward

Cymro Aug 1, 2015 7:27 am

I wouldn't choose solely based on toiletries but if location, cost, and quality of the property aren't issues (and I can see why they wouldn't be in NY, where different brands cover some very different properties) then sure.

Of course the Waldorf rates would have to be exceptional to make it work and I'd personally find it difficult to justify the Waldorf over others (although I once booked the Sheraton on Park Lane for less than the Ibis my corporate travel suggested...)

Miesque Aug 1, 2015 7:36 am

Originally Posted by travisw (Post 25205495)
I dislike Aroma Active, Doubletree's new line, so if there is a choice of hotels, I will always choose a non-Doubletree hotel going forward

I agree they are really, really bad. I preferred the Crabtree & Evelyn and Neutrogena prior

Miesque Aug 1, 2015 7:45 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25205407)
It's a toss between various Hiltons, Doubletrees or Waldorf Astoria for my coming trip to NYC. I gathered I'm here on a business trip where most of the time would be spent in the office or out with clients, taxi and meals are paid for by the company, and Diamond status doesn't mean much anyway as most NYC hotels don't have lounges.

Inclined to go for Waldorf Astoria instead of the other Hilton properties solely because it provides Ferragamo branded toiletries which I can bring back for home use after a week's hectic travel, instead of the run-of-the-mill stuff at other Hiltons.

Is this the right decision? Has anyone made conscious hotel choices based on the type of toiletries they provide?

I had one two night stay about 3 years ago at the Waldorf Astoria New York and I thought it was relative dump to what you would expect and personally thought it should have its Waldorf name removed after that stay. Would much prefer staying at the Hilton Times Square if I have to stay midtown regardless of toiletries (usually am down at the Conrad and I am actually like Aromatherapy Associates, which I know some are not keen on).

I would like to point out that those Ferragamo toiletries are ok, but nothing to be making hotel decisions on and the size is definitely on the small size. I have a stay at Waldorf Astoria Chicago in two weeks and the last thing I am looking forward to in my stay in the toiletries. :D (And by the way, THAT is a real Waldorf)

cblaisd Aug 1, 2015 7:47 am

Has anyone made conscious hotel choices based on the type of toiletries they provide?

Never.

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 16465454)
I couldn't tell you what soaps/shampoos/goo are at any HHonors property. Soap is soap and shampoo is shampoo. Yes, I'm a philistine.

Weatherboy Aug 1, 2015 7:55 am

Quality of breakfast offering is 1st, then type of bathroom amenities is second for me. I have picked places to stay just for the brand of shampoo/soaps they have in the past. It doesn't happen often, but it does.

KENNECTED Aug 1, 2015 8:31 am

Never think about it as I bring and use my own toiletries.

I'll occasionally use a properties hand lotion.

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 25205566)
(usually am down at the Conrad and I am actually like Aromatherapy Associates, which I know some are not keen on).

Conrad would've been my first choice not because of the Aromatherapy Associates which I dislike (I generally find anything with lavender to smell rather metallic hence off putting) - but the Shanghai Tang toiletries which are divine!

Unfortunately Conrad is also the only Hilton in NYC that isn't a corporate hotel for my company.

BrlDsguise Aug 1, 2015 10:11 am

I'm not sure what is worse, basing your stay on toiletries when Manhattan has a Duane Reade every other block or posting on the internet and asking strangers to validate this choice.

Willi90 Aug 1, 2015 10:38 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 25206058)
I'm not sure what is worse, basing your stay on toiletries when Manhattan has a Duane Reade every other block or posting on the internet and asking strangers to validate this choice.

+1

KENNECTED Aug 1, 2015 11:29 am

I would agree. In addition there are luxury hilton properties in NYC like the Waldorf=Astoria and the Conrad.

Spock Seat Aug 1, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 25205543)
I agree they are really, really bad. I preferred the Crabtree & Evelyn and Neutrogena prior

Me too. One of the main reasons I chose Hiltons, HGIs, and Conrads were for these toiletries, over other brands when I first started eons ago.

HGI: Neutrogena
Hilton: Crabtree and Evelyn. (I loved the aroma from that blue stuff.....Hilton Narita used to give a foamy shaving cream that had a awesome stingy feeling too).
Conrad: Elemis. (Now I choose Shanghai Tang over the other one.).
Conrad Tokyo: Acca Kappa (Love this stuff)

Hope they return to what I listed above. I don't like that Paul Thomas stuff used in many Hiltons (which replaced the Crabtree and Evelyn).

scubaccr Aug 1, 2015 2:06 pm

Sounds a bad move to decide purely on toiletries. I am sure you can carry a few of your favourite hotel toiletries that you did not use on earlier stays and gradually accumulated.

Most companies give/set per diem per day and that isn't meant to cover ones breakfast or lunch, and room rate should be room only (I can't book a breakfast rate type) just evening meal with wine, so for me even as HHD I give WA a miss as breakfast is not given to me as a benefit.

I tend to choose hotels for ease of getting to the work location in the morning, of course in NYC several hotels will be very acceptably located in which case local shops/restaurants guide my choice.

Kacee Aug 1, 2015 3:15 pm

+1
I'm having difficulty taking this thread seriously.

Oh, and the Ferragamo toiletries are gross. Way too heavily perfumed. As are most of the designer label brands. Designer label does not generally indicate a high quality product.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Aug 1, 2015 4:15 pm

I wouldn't let the little bottles be my deciding factor, but the Park City Waldorf has the best assortment of bathroom-whatnot in the Hilton family. I admit I asked for extras and used everything liberally. Bath salts, conditioner, lotion, body wash, etc... can't remember the brand, it's their own in-house spa brand stuff. It's been a while since I've been there, hope they're still using it.

Sigh. Park City is too pricey.

Maybe an off-season stay to replenish my little bottles.

:)

TDM

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm sure what you're suggesting is worse... that one has to travel for business yet hop out to a Duane Reade to buy own toiletries?!

Kacee Aug 1, 2015 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25207495)
I'm sure what you're suggesting is worse... that one has to travel for business yet hop out to a Duane Reade to buy own toiletries?!

I can't imagine traveling to NYC and not going to Duane Reade for something. They are on virtually every block and typically open 24/7.

But of course to each their own :)

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 25206887)
Most companies give/set per diem per day and that isn't meant to cover ones breakfast or lunch, and room rate should be room only (I can't book a breakfast rate type) just evening meal with wine, so for me even as HHD I give WA a miss as breakfast is not given to me as a benefit.

That's true. I'm aware that WA doesn't provide breakfast even for HHD. But I also notice that those of us with hotel status tend to stick to hotels that provide breakfast more than anything else... this causes another issue - over eating! - when there's a vast buffet spread in front of you every morning during the trip. While I'm pretty sure over eating at breakfast isn't something one normally does back at home.

Which is why I don't let breakfast sway my decision but choice of toiletries that I can bring home and have the rest of my family enjoy as well.

BrlDsguise Aug 1, 2015 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25207495)

Five minutes in Duane Reade beats adding 10 - 15 minutes to your cab or subway ride twice a day because the WA or Conrad is farther from your office.

chrism20 Aug 1, 2015 6:03 pm

It's certainly a filter I've never thought about using myself when deciding where to stay but at the end of the day everyone's needs/thoughts etc are different I suppose.

Normally location (how far from where I need to be), standard of property (time since last refresh etc), quality of food/service, facilities are the deciding factors for me.

Tbh the contents (or lack of) in those little bottles is so ridiculous I'm surprised that this is what is being used to decide but as I said not everyone thinks the same way or uses the same criteria.

IcHot Aug 1, 2015 6:17 pm

Exactly. But we all do select Doubletrees for the cookies, right guys?

Doc Savage Aug 1, 2015 6:30 pm

Motel 6 is missing a fantastic marketing angle here. Just provide $2 worth of fancy soap, etc., and pull those $300/night guests from the big chains. Brilliant!

smmrfld Aug 1, 2015 7:33 pm

+1.

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 9:14 pm

Yes to each her own... distance to office, property newness, convenience to public transport, nearby restaurants, breakfast are all viable factors. But once you factor in the cost of these (branded) toiletries, it throws in another viable factor for some like myself.

The full suite of Shanghai Tang toiletries from Conrad retails at US$40. Likewise the Aesop range offered at Park Hyatts. And some hotels' housekeeping accommodate requests to replenish twice daily if asked. This equates to US$80 per day to offset your room cost or as 'benefit' for being away from your family that you can take home and enjoy together.

Abidjan Aug 1, 2015 10:17 pm

Never.

Nickolash27 Aug 1, 2015 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25208069)
Yes to each her own... distance to office, property newness, convenience to public transport, nearby restaurants, breakfast are all viable factors. But once you factor in the cost of these (branded) toiletries, it throws in another viable factor for some like myself.

The full suite of Shanghai Tang toiletries from Conrad retails at US$40. Likewise the Aesop range offered at Park Hyatts. And some hotels' housekeeping accommodate requests to replenish twice daily if asked. This equates to US$80 per day to offset your room cost or as 'benefit' for being away from your family that you can take home and enjoy together.

Are your family all wearing hotel-branded slippers and robes too? Surely these must also be a "viable factor" then?

Kacee Aug 2, 2015 12:29 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25208069)

The full suite of Shanghai Tang toiletries from Conrad retails at US$40.

I don't care what the retail is, you couldn't pay me to use that stuff. Too heavily perfumed.

Price and/or designer label do not equal quality.

Eujeanie Aug 2, 2015 12:47 am

Have an upcoming stay at a DoubleTree - what's wrong with their Aroma Active? Too heavily perfumed?

carrotjuice Aug 2, 2015 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Nickolash27 (Post 25208390)
Are your family all wearing hotel-branded slippers and robes too? Surely these must also be a "viable factor" then?

Nope we don't use those in our home. That's why, to each his or her own.

carrotjuice Aug 2, 2015 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25208511)
I don't care what the retail is, you couldn't pay me to use that stuff. Too heavily perfumed.

Price and/or designer label do not equal quality.

It's your personal preference yes, but don't go about dissing the perfume which may not be to your liking with quality. Many people who appreciate it would argue it's the epitome of quality.

scubaccr Aug 2, 2015 8:02 am

Conversely if there us a hotel convenient to stay but with say toiletries that give one hives, One would still stay but bring own shampoo and soaps

After all we bring our own razor, shaving foam, toothbrush/toothpaste, aftershave and anti-persperent so no great effort to bring soap&shampoo too

slidergirl Aug 2, 2015 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25207132)
+1
I'm having difficulty taking this thread seriously.

Oh, and the Ferragamo toiletries are gross. Way too heavily perfumed. As are most of the designer label brands. Designer label does not generally indicate a high quality product.

+1
I would never base a decision on where to stay based on toiletries. BUT, I hate the Ferragamo stuff. Definitely too perfumed for me. But, I have a problem with just about any hotel toiletries - set off my allergies. Had a nasty surprise when I flew Alitalia in Business class this Spring - it had that same vile Ferragamo Tuscan Soul stuff in it. Now, the stuff at St. Regis is tolerable - Remede Spa products.

Michael19887 Aug 2, 2015 10:10 am

I never have on toiletries but I definitely have chosen a hotel based solely the beds. The WA bed (because of the better Anichini bedding and different mattress toppers) is even more comfortable than the Hilton/DT bed. Not that the hilton/DT bed isn't comfortable, but the WA one beats it out.

arlflyer Aug 2, 2015 12:44 pm

I do like the smell of the Ferragamo stuff*, but, that said - the things that determine my hotel choices are 1) location, 2) price, 3) free food potential, 4) upgrade potential, and then it falls off from there...soaps are not part of the calculus.

*Side note - the Ferragamo stuff for Hilton does not seem to be exactly the same as what Ferragamo sells on the street. A year or so ago I bought a big bottle of Tuscan Soul body lotion for my SO, who really liked it during a WA stay. The stuff I bought (it was legit), was much less strongly scented. I reasoned that it was designed to be used in tandem with a fragrance, rather than standalone, so they backed off the perfume level.

keeton Aug 4, 2015 11:49 am

Originally Posted by travisw (Post 25205495)

This.

I would not choose a hotel solely based on their toiletries (it might be a tie-breaker on a whim at best), but I would tend to steer clear of properties that have bad/missing toiletries, or worse yet, those Euro-styled bulk dispensers.

I'm very sensitive to the shampoo I use so I bring my own in a tiny bottle. For those who suggested "oh, just go to the drug store," it is hard to find premium lotions and hair care products in TSA-approved sizes, which means you would be throwing almost-full containers of the products away on your return trip.

rasheed Apr 17, 2017 2:16 pm

I find it interesting that it seems most full-service Hilton's have removed Body Wash from their room setup standard (Peter Roth). I believe Marriott FS continues to do Thann Body Wash (and Hand Soap). Mouthwash is also a hit or miss, but useful when done (there is a Peter Roth one made for Hilton too, but not always placed in the room).

I am not really sure what the brand standard setup is for Hilton FS.

Rasheed

darthbimmer Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm

I find the idea of choosing a hotel based on its in-room toiletries laughable. None of the shampoos, soaps, etc. are that good!

BTW, yes, I am picky about my toiletries. I bring my own! And no, that doesn't mean I waste time checking a suitcase full of beauty products that don't fit inside the 3-1-1 regulation or waste money buying new bottles upon arrival that I will have to throw out before I leave. When travel sized versions of the products I like are not available I package my own. Years ago I purchased a set of small liquid containers for about $5 at a travel store. I fill them up at home from my big bottles every few trips. They fit neatly in my 3-1-1 bag and they work great.

navelfluff Apr 18, 2017 1:20 am

I only just saw this thread, but it makes an interesting read. I'm fairly new to Hilton having status-matched to Diamond in February. In my 40 nights to date in both Hilton and Doubletree properties in and around London, I haven't been excited at all by any Hilton in-room toiletries. However, in 2015 and 2016 I spent a lot of time in the UK's two (Starwood) Aloft properties. They feature Bliss soap and shower gel, which I absolutely love. I only wish I could buy the product retail as the little bars purloined on each stay only last so long at home.

rasheed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 pm

I believe Bliss is also at the Marriott/Starwood W hotels. You can definitely buy Bliss at retail (including resellers like Ulta and Kohls), but it is not inexpensive.

Rasheed