Wiki Posts
Search

So what is an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
So what is an upgrade

Booked a deluxe Bosporus view at the Conrad Istanbul. Upgraded to an Executive Bosporus view. Really? What is the upgrade for a Diamond member. Lowest level of the hotel even though they have 'deluxe floors'. So what did we get as an upgrade? I am seeing this more and more. Upgrade is only to an "executive' room of the same level. Am I missing something here, or is there really no upgrade except in name only. Please don't ask why we didn't ask for a better room etc. That is not the point of this question.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:46 am

I agree there can be very poor upgrades like this where you already have the benefit from your status level that the "upgraded" room entitles you to.

Sometimes an Executive room comes with a coffee machine, other times there's not even that much of a difference between Deluxe and Executive.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:29 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

In my blog, I wrote this article with details about my “upgrade” to a Pure Wellness room at a Hampton Inn.

Had I not been upgraded at no extra cost, the room would have cost $20.00 more plus tax.
formeraa and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: HH D
Didn't you have to throw in a quarter?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:16 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Didn't you have to throw in a quarter?
No...

...which was a breath of fresh air for me.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
That's why I won't bother chasing Diamond anymore this year. I now stay at decent hotels of my choice (usually much cheaper than the Hilton option) and only choose Hilton hotels when I know they are worth the higher price. I will enjoy my Diamond benefits as long as they last and from next year April I will book and pay for an executive room in a Hilton only when I know I will be getting something for my money. The executive rooms that I am getting upgraded to these days often only cost 35-50eur extra per night so if I want an executive room I will pay for it, not worth chasing status for anymore. Welcome gifts, exceptional breakfast experiences, suite upgrades and special treatment for Diamond members are clearly a thing of the past...
1969cad and spongenotbob like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
I now choose my lodging based on my needs and not chasing HH points; in the US I rarely stay at Hilton properties as they are generally overpriced, in disrepair, and skimpy on perks - just unpleasant overall. I'll burn through my remaining HH points this fall in London and not look back.
1969cad and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
In my blog, I wrote this article with details about my “upgrade” to a Pure Wellness room at a Hampton Inn.

Had I not been upgraded at no extra cost, the room would have cost $20.00 more plus tax.
That post was actually a fascinating read. I had no clue that was a offering in Hilton Properties. I had never seen it before.
SPN Lifer and 1969cad like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:29 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Yep, makes me chuckle when guests seem genuinely delighted to be "upgraded" to an Executive Room, when the room is identical & their status gives equivalent benefits, regardless of the upgrade given (OK you may get a robe & a Nespresso machine in the room or something, but still).

I truly don't get it. It's often just game playing by the property.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
It is, but those same properties typically have a guaranteed upgrade rule, so book an Exec to start with and you’ll get something much nicer.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sometimes the executive rooms are on a specific, more desirable floor and/or come with some extra amenities like bathrobes. Most US Hiltons have abandoned executive rooms entirely.

If it's a separate room category on their menu of rooms, and at a higher rate than your reserved room, then it is an upgrade per the terms of the Hilton Honors benefits.
formeraa likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 4:10 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
It is, but those same properties typically have a guaranteed upgrade rule, so book an Exec to start with and you’ll get something much nicer.
Agreed. And indeed I do sometimes choose to do this - particularly at hotels that I know do play upgrade games.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few years ago I booked a corner room with a view at the Warsaw Hilton. At checkin I was upgraded to an executive room that was drab with no view. I returned to the front desk and asked for my original room back.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
I was just pre-upgraded from a King Hilton guest room to a King Hilton guest room at the Hilton Düsseldorf :-)
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
from my experience it means going from a view of a dumpster to a view of the back alley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.