Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Mid-way through my trip of 11 brands and 30 odd hotels - disappointed :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

Hi,

Currently half way though our 6 week trip involving all 11 brands and around 30 hilton hotels to celebrate my 50th across 3 countries and 15 states.

I am sadly rather disappointed.

Have had some great stays, but some have been awful and we would never return to them again.

About to head to the western side of the USA and continue.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Sounds like a great trip for your birthday - congrats!

Would I be right in guessing Canada, US and Mexico? In which case you are in the "worst" part of the world as far as the hotel experience goes. Europe or Asia would give a much better impression.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
UK, Ireland and the bulk by long chalk in the USA
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You might want to consider posting your hits and misses in the specific hotel threads so that others may benefit from your experiences and perspective.

Other than that sorry you were disappointed. Were you familiar without the different Hilton brands before this and with Hilton properties generally? How did the properties disappoint you?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have not stayed at any Hilton in Ireland. But, I have low expectations for UK (since the London Langham Hilton left) and US Hilton Hotels.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
There are hits and misses in every country. The UK has some truly terrible Hiltons, to the extent that one is even cheaper than its neighbouring Hampton down the road, but there are also some brilliant properties, both modern and historic, and with good Diamond recognition. It's just a shame you have to research hard to ensure you get a positive experience.

I would think it's much the same in the US - I've only stayed in a handful of properties but I've had the time to investigate them carefully so that I was fairly comfortable with what to expect. The idea of buying in to a brand though is that you'd hope not to have to do that.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:30 am

Sounds like an awesome trip to celebrate your birthday.

You seem to be batting about 50/50, as you said some have been great but some have been awful...but you're focusing on the awful ones it appears. Where have they been and in what way have they been awful, and what are you expecting?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
What an excellent idea , I would love to do that!...... Travel my way around the world staying at different hiltons , I could never get 6 weeks off work but I hope to retire at 55 and may do this......what an adventure!.......love that.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You might want to consider posting your hits and misses in the specific hotel threads so that others may benefit from your experiences and perspective.

Other than that sorry you were disappointed. Were you familiar without the different Hilton brands before this and with Hilton properties generally? How did the properties disappoint you?
Way to go, Jerry. That is a very constructive post which can lead to better information for other forum participants.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by wizla
What an excellent idea , I would love to do that!...... Travel my way around the world staying at different hiltons , I could never get 6 weeks off work but I hope to retire at 55 and may do this......what an adventure!.......love that.
I can't tell if this is sarcastic Wizla Thought you'd be sick of travelling around different Hiltons by the time you retire!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Foltan
I can't tell if this is sarcastic Wizla Thought you'd be sick of travelling around different Hiltons by the time you retire!
Haha, no mate I'm serious......I never tire of it, to be honest I've not sampled many hiltons outside the uk and most of my stays these days are mainly leisure....... 9 years until I retire though......who knows.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I too would love to hear a play-by-play for the properties on this trip! Especially where the duds lacked and why there was a higher expectation for those properties.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd be definitely interested to hear about the individual props involved - both good and bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.