FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   HH Gold until 2020! Free! *Targeted to Select MBA Graduates in 2014* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1553869-hh-gold-until-2020-free-targeted-select-mba-graduates-2014-a.html)

pr0digy25 Feb 21, 2014 3:17 am

HH Gold until 2020! Free! *Targeted to Select MBA Graduates in 2014*

Saw this on LoyaltyLobby... apparently if you are business school grad you can have free HH Gold until 2020.

Guess this is targeted, but who knows may work for everyone.

For the skinny on it... http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/02/19/h...2020-targeted/

If it works, please post back...

travisw Feb 21, 2014 6:41 am

Why doesn't hilton just give every customer "elite" status?!?! good grief.

Michael19887 Feb 21, 2014 7:14 am

This is actually an excellent marketing strategy. They are giving business graduates from certain schools with high earning potential an inticing incentive to chose Hilton for work/personal travel on their new incomes.

HansGruber Feb 21, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Michael19887 (Post 22390041)
This is actually an excellent marketing strategy. They are giving business graduates from certain schools with high earning potential an inticing incentive to chose Hilton for work/personal travel on their new incomes.

Agreed. While many of us that travel a lot lament about adding too many people to the elite tiers, I have to say this is brilliant marketing.

shadowsjc Feb 21, 2014 7:31 am

This is pretty cool. When I was in b-school, they gave me HHonors Gold for being a current student. That coupled with the fact that I already had a Hilton AMEX made me much more likely to stay with Hilton (evidenced by my current Diamond status now). Otherwise I probably would have just gone to Marriott like many of my current coworkers

Cymro Feb 21, 2014 7:34 am

I also agree. Many of those will end up earning elite status - but will have an incentive to kick off their travel with Hilton from the outset, rather than having to rock up and do 40 nights in the Bentonville Hampton Inn to get status first.

pinniped Feb 21, 2014 8:12 am

They already give Gold away for free. (Actually, they kind of pay you to take it.) Nothing new here...

jamesteroh Feb 21, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Michael19887 (Post 22390041)

I agree. Same with Airlines loyalty programs.

Someone in my office got her MBA last year and Delta gave her status. I forget if it was Gold or Platinium status from a targeted offer from Delta for graduating from Grad school. I thought it was smart marketing on Delta's part but the people in my office that were Delta FO and Gold disagreed for some reason.

But I think it's absurd to give status for seven years. Give it for one year. Especially seeing how easy gold status is to get with Hilton

Cymro Feb 21, 2014 8:39 am

The problem is that I only started traveling intensively when I was (depending when you consider I gave up on full-time education) between four and eight years after graduation. For the first three years gold status would have been useless to me and I wouldn't have clogged up any executive lounges or stolen any upgrades, but it might well have gotten me into Hiltons a year or two earlier.

lsumegan Feb 21, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 22390505)
The problem is that I only started traveling intensively when I was (depending when you consider I gave up on full-time education) between four and eight years after graduation. For the first three years gold status would have been useless to me and I wouldn't have clogged up any executive lounges or stolen any upgrades, but it might well have gotten me into Hiltons a year or two earlier.

Why is that a problem?

ac921ol Feb 21, 2014 9:16 am

well apparently Darden and UVA doesnt work.

pinniped Feb 21, 2014 9:39 am

Looks like it works for Johnson and Tuck but not Columbia or Wharton. (At least not under those URL's.) Wonder if the schools had to agree to validate the user or something...

azepine00 Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am

This is a test.
If you fall for free Hilton status you are clearly incapable of making rational business decisions.

Hawkeyefan Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am

Nice...

Started B school but did not finish, life moved on:)
Guess I don't get 6 yr gold.

DallasBeyond Feb 21, 2014 5:29 pm

When I graduated B-school, I just got a bunch of loans, not that HHonors Gold is a big pat on the back. Too bad, back then I couldn't have just charged $30K in loan payments, that would've solved for Diamond status.....