Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hanoi Opera {VNM}[Closing 1 Dec 22 for conversion to WA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Hanoi Opera {VNM}[Closing 1 Dec 22 for conversion to WA]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here is an email address for the hotel, although not specifically for the reservation manager: [email protected]
Old May 27, 2004, 7:25 pm

Programs: not a thing anymore! :-((
Hanoi Hilton Opera

I have enough HH points for a one night stay here, and, by the time I get there in November, I should have enough for 2 nights.

When, exactly, should I reserve my room? (Sad to say, I've never redeemed any HH pts!)

Thanks for fielding such a basic question....and, if anyone's stayed here, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
I stayed there this past December. It's really a lovely hotel and quite well located for most of the tourism that you would be doing in Hanoi. I'm a Diamond, and the executive floor checkin was great (little juice and warm towel provided). The ladies manning that desk were also quite nice. We got a 4th floor room (iirc) that had a little balcony. Not much of a view from our rooms, but they pointed out that the 4th was the best floor. Try to get a room facing the Opera House.

The rooms are somewhat garishly decorated, but there was a lovely plate of fruit and Vietnamese Dim Sum in there when we arrived. The bathrooms are a highlight, with a separate shower enclosure and all the top-end Asian Hilton amenities.

The staff were super-knowledgeable about all the intricacies of Hanoi, and very eager to help. Tips are much appreciated! For example: the bellman got me a prepaid SIM card at 1130pm on a Saturday by calling some guy who delivered it on a bicycle; gotta love Asian commerce. I can't say enough good things about the staff who were gracious at every turn.

If you have executive floor priviliges, they have a nice (not great, but definitely not bad) breakfast, and free Internet terminals in the lounge on the top floor. Although there was ocassionally a wait for the PCs, they were fast and unrestricted. Note: the business center has paid-for access, but it's much pricier than what you can find in iCafes on the streets around the hotel. One note: if you're travelling with a digital camera and want to download/burn your photos to CD to free up space, the bizcenter has a card reader and cd-burning facilities. It's also quite affordable.

The health club was small but also quite nice - and the massage therapists there, excellent. Massage is expensive in the hotel relative to the street prices, but still not a bad deal, considering it's a Western hotel.

Oh, and the bakery on the ground floor is first-class!

Enjoy your stay in Hanoi. We found it a fascinating city with lots of strange and interesting history/culture. I preferred Saigon, but that's another thread entirely.

<G>
Old May 27, 2004, 10:21 pm
Suspended

I haven't stayed in this hotel, but I have been in the lobby - which looked awfully nice (and was nicely air conditioned - which is what drew us in in the first place ).

Before using reward points to stay at a hotel in Vietnam, however, I'd suggest evaluating your options for paying and staying at a local hotel. Lodging in Vietnam is incredibly cheap (you can actually get a room for as little as $3-$4 per night, but I wouldn't recommend it). Air conditioned rooms start at around $10-$12 per night depending upon location (cheapest rates are ususally at the small family-owned hotels) and standard hotels can be had for $20-$30 per night (I'd say these are the equivalent of Holiday Inns / Ramadas / Clarions / Wingate / etc - certainly not Hilton quality, but nice). In Hanoi, we stayed at the Hoa Binh hotel and it was quite nice, but not luxurious. Almost all hotel rates in Vietnam will include a free breakfast (typically buffet with some cook-to-order stations). There are a lot of places on the net to book Vietnam hotels, here's one: http://www.saigontourist.com/.

If you're excited about staying that the Hilton for a special trip, don't let me dissuade you. I just wanted to let you know that you'd have some very reasonably priced options if you wanted to save your reward stay for a more expensive city.

Also, check out the Thorn Tree Message Boards on lonelyplanet.com to get more detailed information on Vietnam travel.
Old May 28, 2004, 7:27 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
OT, but one would think that the two cities where Hilton would consider having a different hotel brand (Conrad, or Waldorf) have got to be Hanoi and Paris...

Or maybe it's good for business...
Old May 28, 2004, 7:46 am

I stayed there last summer and found the executive lounge staff to be excellent. Access to the lounge made the hotel seem like a more intimate hotel. Besides breakfast, ther are snacks all day and of course the PC access. I haghly recommend the hotel. Last summer the AAA rate was about 85 USD.
Old May 28, 2004, 8:05 am

Programs: not a thing anymore! :-((
Before using reward points to stay at a hotel in Vietnam, however, I'd suggest evaluating your options for paying and staying at a local hotel. Lodging in Vietnam is incredibly cheap (you can actually get a room for as little as $3-$4 per night, but I wouldn't recommend it). Air conditioned rooms start at around $10-$12 per night depending upon location (cheapest rates are ususally at the small family-owned hotels) and standard hotels can be had for $20-$30 per night (I'd say these are the equivalent of Holiday Inns / Ramadas / Clarions / Wingate / etc - certainly not Hilton quality, but nice). In Hanoi, we stayed at the Hoa Binh hotel and it was quite nice, but not luxurious. Almost all hotel rates in Vietnam will include a free breakfast (typically buffet with some cook-to-order stations). There are a lot of places on the net to book Vietnam hotels, here's one: http://www.saigontourist.com/.

It's interesting that you bring up this point b/c I was seriously considering staying at the Win Hotel for around $30. (I've read that it was very popular, and can't figure out how to book in advance since there's no email, but will try the site you suggested. I've seen tons of those booking sites, and don't know which to trust.) I was actually thinking of saving my HH pts for some trip to the US southwest at some point b/c I think they'll 1. go farther and 2. hotels here are more expensive.

That said, it's our very first trip to Asia, and I thought that I would need to stay somewhere somewhat western for the first night or two--although I plan to stay in very local places for the rest of the trip.

Anyway, many thanks for your post and the others.
Old May 28, 2004, 10:01 am

I have used www.planetholiday.com for bookings in the past and have been satisfied.
Old May 28, 2004, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by naxos
I have used www.planetholiday.com for bookings in the past and have been satisfied.
I have also used them for a stay in BKK a couple years ago. IIRC correctly, they are one of those "pay in advance and get a voucher to present to the front desk upon check in" operations. I had my concerns, but paid with a credit card just in case.

Absolutely no problems. Worked like a charm. A++++++ Highly recommend.... ooops, I'm going Ebay Feedback on ya here.
Old May 29, 2004, 4:39 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I would also like to praise the Hanoi Hilton. Stayed there 4 times in the last 18 months and each time was a genuine pleasure. As stated above the staff in the exec floor and throughout the Hotel are fantastic.

As it is a 'low' Hotel (only 6 floors) then there are no spectatcular city views but facing the Opera across the street is nice. Cost US$80 in March and as Gold got u/g to exec floor.

Enjoy Hanoi and Vietnam ^
Old May 29, 2004, 9:20 am
Suspended

Excellent Hotel except for the Room Decor

Stayed there 1-2 years ago.

Excellent service ! The very minute I stepped into the hotel after returning from Halong, I was greeted by name with a very warm "welcome back" and was invited to check-in at the Executive Lounge.

Breakfast in the Executive Lounge was very good, the best lounge breakfast I ever had and even better than Singapore Conrad's lounge breakfast. Evening cocktail was however not so impressive. There was a charge for internet access in the lounge but the ladies graciously waived the charge because I logged on for less than 5 mins.

The bathroom was nice though not spectacular. Sadly the bedroom decor was rather painful to the eyes with gaudy wall coverings.

Overall an excellent hotel, only negative aspect being the unconventional room decor.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:44 pm

Does anyone have a name and email contact for the Hanoi Opera Hilton. I need to check if it would be OK for me to leave several suitcases in their luggage storeroom in between two stays. I'm assuming it will be fine but would like to be certain, as it will influence how much crap I will be bringing along for the second part of my trip. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 3:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Does anyone have a name and email contact for the Hanoi Opera Hilton.
Send an email to [email protected] and ask. I wish - and I have suggested to them - that they join the modern age and add email contact info on each hotel's website.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
name and email contact for the Hanoi Opera Hilton.
Try [email protected]
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:00 am

We left our lugggage and went to Sapa for the weekend and returned and they let us check out really late- almost 6pm and let us check in early in the morning at 6 am- no extra charge . They are most acccommodating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.