FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/128455-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-florida-usa-us-fl.html)

KoKoBuddy Jan 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by gamer1724 (Post 24177457)
lots of great information and recommendations...so a BIG THANK YOU to everyone...however one of the biggest things Im getting from this is the potential for bad weather in FLA in August, so it might be a benefit for us to look for another destination to ensure maybe some better weather?

A hurricane/tropical storm can hit anywhere on the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico in August. It's more likely in Florida and anywhere on the Gulf. But even Virginia and New Jersey shores aren't immune. Just the chance you take going to the ocean during peak hurricane season.

That being said, the Jacksonville area is the part of Florida that gets hit the least.

Tizzette Jan 16, 2015 1:41 pm

We've stayed at the Doubletree in Melbourne Beach where our boys have loved the great surf for boogie boarding. It is the best Atlantic surfing beach, there around Cocoa and Melbourne. The hotel is nothing special, just useful for a couple of days at the beach, and there's not much else to do but the beach and the Kennedy Space Center. But it is an easy drive from Orlando so you can do beach and Orlando stuff on the same trip.

I've stayed at the Hilton Key Largo Resort (which is actually closer to Islamorado) a few times now in the winter, and I am looking forward to taking my grandsons of similar ages this summer. They have a small beach with shade and rental of kayaks, jet skis, paddle boards and what have you. The water is gentle and not over your head for a long way out, which will be great for the boys with the kayaks and paddle boards. If you want to snorkel, you can join a snorkel or scuba excursion at the John Penobscot (sp) State Park out to the coral reef. There is also a swim with the dolphins place in Key Largo, and you can drive to Key West for a day trip in about 90 minutes.

BrlDsguise Jan 17, 2015 7:38 am

Hilton Key Largo to Key West is closer to a 2 1/2 hour drive. Almost 100 miles with speed limits as low as 40 and traffic lights as you drive though Marathon and other towns. You could split the trip and stay in each, Reach and Casa Marina are in the quiet part of town.

Tizzette Jan 17, 2015 10:09 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 24183716)
Hilton Key Largo to Key West is closer to a 2 1/2 hour drive. Almost 100 miles with speed limits as low as 40 and traffic lights as you drive though Marathon and other towns. You could split the trip and stay in each, Reach and Casa Marina are in the quiet part of town.

That's right, it is a longer drive than I remembered.

HansGruber Jan 19, 2015 8:59 am

We were at the Boca Beach club right around New Years. We stayed on points and loved it. Good for the family and if you take the shuttle over to the sister resort the kids can do the FlowRider or they can do regular surfing at the Beach club.

RahRahMO Jan 19, 2015 11:44 am

We stayed at the GalleryONE (Doubletree) in December and really liked it - very modern, on the intercostal waterway, and easy drive to Hollywood Beach (which has a good boardwalk). The breakfast was in the restaurant and was good.

IsleOfMan Jan 19, 2015 12:51 pm

I like GalleryONE as well (all suites, restaurant Breakfast, next to the Gallery Mall and short walk/drive to beach), but the mandatory valet parking fee should be taken into consideration as well.

DCADavis Feb 6, 2015 5:01 pm

Wrapping up a visit here now. As a gold, upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite with lanai. Room furnishings looked recently renovated and turndown service at night was solid. The bar near the pool was a little pricey and slow, but that's the Conch Republic. My only complaint is the shower head needs to be upgraded as it is a little small and the jets beat you. Never stayed at the Doubletree, but it sounds like room type is huge here.

diver858 Feb 8, 2015 9:01 am

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 22759427)
We have gone to FF twice, stayed at the DT first, the Reach, I posted a thread on the latter.

DT is a mixed bag; as Halloween approaches, traffic causes increasing delays for the van, schedule more unpredictable, wait can exceed 30 minutes.

We plan to go back to FF in 2015, have not decided between the Casa Marina, or the Crown Plaza on Duval. Diamond status does not mean much at WA properties - no upgrades, breakfast, special treatment. If we decide to stay at the CM, we will rent bikes again, which is BY FAR the best way to get around. While a longtime Diamond, the Crown Plaza looks interesting, their Chase credit card earns lots of points, offers status, works out to be a decent deal for an awesome location.

We ended up booking the Crown Plaza on Duval, using a combination of IHG Chase free night (anniversary) and award points from 2 credit cards. It is really unfortunate that with all of the Hilton properties in the area, all seem to miss the mark for one or more reasons - undesirable location, poorly maintained / managed property.

BrlDsguise Feb 8, 2015 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 24312755)
We ended up booking the Crown Plaza on Duval, using a combination of IHG Chase free night (anniversary) and award points from 2 credit cards. It is really unfortunate that with all of the Hilton properties in the area, all seem to miss the mark for one or more reasons - undesirable location, poorly maintained / managed property.

They had it all until it became a Westin. The HI and HGI openings are now a year behind schedule but they are in new town.

SSF556 Feb 8, 2015 4:25 pm

CM gets my vote

diver858 Feb 9, 2015 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 24314445)

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 24312755)

They had it all until it became a Westin. The HI and HGI openings are now a year behind schedule but they are in new town.

HI and HGI are in the same general area as the DT, same location concerns.

gamer1724 Mar 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Siesta Key Florida....Sarasota

Hello hello! We are taking a family trip to Siesta Key this summer and it looks like the closest Hilton property would be Sarasota. We looked at Longboat Key as well, however that location is closed to renovations. By chance has anyone visited Siesta Key and stayed at any of the locations in Sarasota or boarding towns and have any recommendations?

Thanks!!

gamer1724 Mar 16, 2015 5:05 am

Monday AM "bump" for booking

gamer1724 Mar 17, 2015 2:05 pm

bump for any potential help