FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Hilton Grand Vacations Club- experiences, questions, worth it?" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/127757-consolidated-hilton-grand-vacations-club-experiences-questions-worth-thread.html)

BayouTraveler Nov 30, 2005 9:47 am

No Buyer's Remorse for me...

I purchased a week in Orlando four years ago and am in the process of buying an additional unit in the system right now. There's been a lot of good advice posted but most importantly that your happiness with the purchase will depend on your personal situation.

For my family, it was not one of the wisest financial decisions we've made, but it's been one of the best. Prior to owning the timeshare, we had not taken a family vacation of more than three days in eight years. Pre-paying for one and having disincentives for not planning one in advance has been the motivation we needed all along. Now we vacation with grandparents. We've booked a combination of timeshare nights and nearby hotel nights with HHonors points. We've converted into the hotel system for nice, vacations closer to home. In short, it's been exactly what they promised. The flexibility of the system has been a great asset as we have never used exactly what we own (size & season).

Now for the downsides. I purchased (the first time) from HGVC and I estimate that I'll be whole, financially speaking, in 8 more years. This time I'm buying resale at less than half what I paid. I figure it will take about five years to break even (purchase price divided by the difference between the weekly rental cost and the maintenance, taxes & membership fees). If you purchase a Hilton-owned property resale, they can (and do) exercise a first right of refusal if the price is too attractive. This allows them to keep the values up and to "upgrade" current owners for the difference of full original purchase price. If you purchase a HGVC-managed resort, you might find a lower price yet still be able to exchange in the HGVC/HiltonHHonors system. Checkout Redweek.com and eBay for resale listings.

The greatest disappointment for me thus far was when Hilton changed the redemption schedule for hotel rooms from 150K for 6 Nights @ a Premium hotel, 100K for others, to 175K for a Category 6 and 150K for all others, effectively devaluing my timeshare. They also raised the Cat. 6 from 35K/N to 40K/N. The truth of the matter is that they can do this again and the HGVC/HHonors point conversion of 1:23 remains unchanged. For that reason, you should carefully consider your purchase if you don't intend to stay in one of the timeshare properties. Ownership guarantees you Silver VIP membership and the ability to book GLON certificates, but limited hotel availability for Silver and Gold members is a problem. If there's a chance you won't remain Diamond (and even if you do), you're probably better off paying cash to book what you want, when you want, if you prefer staying in Hilton hotels.

DreamlinerI Dec 1, 2005 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by arawal
I am a Hilton HH Diamond and was interested in becoming a HGVC member. IS anyone here a member? Basically the deal is that you get 7000 HGVC points a year which you can use towards staying at a Hilton GVC - it comes up to a upto 5 weeks a year. OR you can convert those points to 161,000 HH points a year. And THIS IS FOR LIFE - actually it's more than for life - you get a deed which you can sell off to someone else (does anyone know where I can buy one cheaper) or pass on to your family.

The cost is about $21,000 - but the benefits are for life. Also, you get Lifetime Silver Elite Status. However since I am a Diamond, she says she will TRY and see if she can get me LifeTime Gold and 280,000 enrollment HH points. That alone is worth quite a bit.

But $21,000 is a lot of money... but I am 25 so I figure I should have some years to use it. what do you guys think? Has anyone ever done it? Is it worth it? I really would appreciate all the help possible.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by arawal (edited 10-28-2002).]

We own two HGVC plans and have 14, 000 points a year which allows us to travel and stay in fantastic places all over the world that would have cost a lot to vacation in if we were paying cash. We learned that the key is to buy resale. We got both of our properties for $10,000 each. We have easily recouped that money in expenses that we would have paid if we stayed in those places. What we have noticed is that we are constantly planning trips to great places because we can do it for very little money and hassel. In one year we will have been in London, Rome, Amsterdam, Waikola, Breckenridge, CO, New York and Las Vegas for a week each time using a combination of our HGVC program and HHonors program. The best known HGVC resale sales person is a guy named Seth Nock in NY. You can read his posts at Timeshare Users Group. He will set you up with exactly what you need and for minimal cost in regards to what HGVC charges for a plan. His number is 212-677-7636. I too thought timeshares were a sleazy business and also bad investment but our experience with the Hilton program has definitely changed my thinking. Good luck! :)

drron Dec 2, 2005 3:04 am

It really does depend on your personal circumstances.We bought into the hilton club new york 3 years ago as we knew our son would be moving to New York.We knew that we would be spending some time there.I did the sums and figured if I wrote off the capital expense over 10 years and added in the maintenance fees that I would pay $US300 per night for a 1 bedroom suite in NYC for the next 10 years and for 20 years after that the price would be less.We are already ahead.
Added to that was 30 years of goldHH-which is close enough to life for me.For us this was definitely a good buy.HGVC on the other hand would make absolutely no sense.Besides we can still participate in the last minute cash deals at HGVC.
So you have to ask what do I want to be doing over the next 10-20 years and do your own sums.

HepperSchepp Dec 2, 2005 5:49 am

I just don't get it.

Question: If the mantiance fee is based on the size of your "unit" why would anyone buy, just an example, a silver 2 bedroom worth 7000 points, instead of a platnium studio for 7000 points, and then just convert it to the 2 bedroom and save a bunch on mantiance?????? Unless you are buying below the lowest Plat week unit, why would any one buy a non-plat week unit?! :confused:

phinzup Dec 2, 2005 1:56 pm

HGVC points to RCI

If you are a HGVC owner be very wary of trading your points for an RCI facility. We have platinium at Flamingo Las Vegas. Once we traded for an RCI timeshare in Naples. The place we stayed was no better than a cheap dive motel. The door didn't shut properly (you had to kick it to open it) and was very dirty. The Management said there was nothing they could do.

This year we made the unfortunate mistake of trading for an RCI property on Marco Island for the 2nd week of December in August. Plane reservations, etc were made. Approx 2 weeks ago RCI called and stated that the property is unavailable due to hurricane damage the property suffered. We asked for another available place. We were told by RCI that since the property was unavailable because of a natural disaster (stated in their rules) that nothing could be done and we would lose our booking fee ($100+) and also our points becuase we had used them to book the property.

phyllisnnj Dec 2, 2005 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by BayouTraveler
The greatest disappointment for me thus far was when Hilton changed the redemption schedule for hotel rooms from 150K for 6 Nights @ a Premium hotel, 100K for others, to 175K for a Category 6 and 150K for all others, effectively devaluing my timeshare. They also raised the Cat. 6 from 35K/N to 40K/N. The truth of the matter is that they can do this again and the HGVC/HHonors point conversion of 1:23 remains unchanged. For that reason, you should carefully consider your purchase if you don't intend to stay in one of the timeshare properties. Ownership guarantees you Silver VIP membership and the ability to book GLON certificates, but limited hotel availability for Silver and Gold members is a problem. If there's a chance you won't remain Diamond (and even if you do), you're probably better off paying cash to book what you want, when you want, if you prefer staying in Hilton hotels.

The HGVC or HHonors rules can change at any time. The HGVC/Honors point conversion has changed already from 1:27 to 1:23. There is no guarantee that what you can get today with yoour HGVC points will have the same value in the future.

llandaff Dec 2, 2005 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp
Question: If the mantiance fee is based on the size of your "unit" why would anyone buy, just an example, a silver 2 bedroom worth 7000 points, instead of a platnium studio for 7000 points, and then just convert it to the 2 bedroom and save a bunch on mantiance?????? Unless you are buying below the lowest Plat week unit, why would any one buy a non-plat week unit?! :confused:

Because the most a Platinum Studio is worth is 2200 points. A Silver 2 bedroom "costs" 3500 points so you would have to use two years of your studio points to afford one week of the silver unit....therefore paying two years' worth of maintenance fees which would most likely be more than one years' MFs for the silver week in the first place.

However, within the same sized unit, I agree that it makes more sense to buy platinum as the MFs are the same whether it is platinum or bronze. A platinum unit will cost you more upfront though.

twindon98 Dec 3, 2005 9:27 pm

OK, I am Hilton Diamond and HGVC owner - i got 3500 pts.. looking to get more. Are ya'll saying that i should go threw resale. I current property is Orlando.

Thanks

DreamlinerI Dec 4, 2005 7:46 am

Originally Posted by twindon98
OK, I am Hilton Diamond and HGVC owner - i got 3500 pts.. looking to get more. Are ya'll saying that i should go threw resale. I current property is Orlando.

Thanks

One of our friends has 19,000 points and has only brought from HGVC. They wanted the "Elite" status. We have 14,000 and paid about a 1/3 of what they did. I cannot for the life of me see what is the advantage of buying from the developer in the HGVC program because resale has the same benefits as buying from the developer. You will save a lot of money if you buy resale and only loose, at this time...they might grant it later...the title of "Elite". Their Elite is not like UA's where you get substantial benefits in my opinion. :cool:

bedge Apr 12, 2006 5:29 pm

Hilton Club New York resale question

I own 10,000 points from Las Vegas and was considering the purchase of a resale from the Hilton Club New York. I have seen the property and in fact stayed there for a week. I wanted to buy the additional points to achieve Elite status so I would have access to additional clubs.

When I asked the HGVC they said that if I purchase the new points on the resale market I would not have Elite status I would have two contracts, one for 10,000 and one for 7000. Can anyone confirm that?

Originally Posted by altizerk
The Hilton Club New York, as others have posted, is a little different. For one thing the points (called City Points) convert to HHonors points at 25 to 1, not 23 to 1 as they do for the HGVC properties. Additionally, you can trade on your City Points to any Hilton Hotel directly through the Hilton Club desk, you do not need to convert to HHonors points. Also, you can trade into any HGVC property, but they cannot trade into the Hilton Club New York.

The status you receive when you buy from Hilton does not transfer when you sell. So if the OP was interested in the lifetime benefit of status, he (or she) would not get that by buying on the resale market. Also, I believe he was misinformed about that status--I have never heard of lifetime Diamond Status. I believe the most you get is Lifetime Gold (which you do get at the Hilton Club New York).

suzieq Apr 13, 2006 6:07 am

New York, separate contracts

Somewhere in my brain, I do recall that we were told when we purchased several years ago that NY membership had to be purchased through Hilton.

Advantage: with the NY purchase, which is only for 25-30 yrs, you do receive Hilton Gold membership. You can trade into any other property (reverse isn't true) AND, when you are gone and can no longer use the property, your heirs won't inherit it or its maintenance fees. They won't feel they have to keep it and pay the fees . . . 'cause it just isn't there.

777 global mile hound Apr 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Off topic question

Does anybody know if booking the HGVC properties online at Hilton.com earn the 5 points per dollar when charged to the HH American Express card?
Thanks

Superd1 Apr 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Does anybody know if booking the HGVC properties online at Hilton.com earn the 5 points per dollar when charged to the HH American Express card?
Thanks

If it's Hilton it's 5 points. I charge my annual dues and get the 5 points. I also purchased the time share with credit cards. Put it on Hilton up to my limit (got 5 points) and the balance on my AS Visa for miles.

There was also a 1,000 pt bonus for paying my dues on-line ^

And they wonder how come I can afford all those vacations :D

ContinentalFan Apr 14, 2006 4:59 pm

I wouldn't

Originally Posted by arawal
I am a Hilton HH Diamond and was interested in becoming a HGVC member. IS anyone here a member? Basically the deal is that you get 7000 HGVC points a year which you can use towards staying at a Hilton GVC - it comes up to a upto 5 weeks a year. OR you can convert those points to 161,000 HH points a year. And THIS IS FOR LIFE - actually it's more than for life - you get a deed which you can sell off to someone else (does anyone know where I can buy one cheaper) or pass on to your family.

The cost is about $21,000 - but the benefits are for life. Also, you get Lifetime Silver Elite Status. However since I am a Diamond, she says she will TRY and see if she can get me LifeTime Gold and 280,000 enrollment HH points. That alone is worth quite a bit.

But $21,000 is a lot of money... but I am 25 so I figure I should have some years to use it. what do you guys think? Has anyone ever done it? Is it worth it? I really would appreciate all the help possible.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by arawal (edited 10-28-2002).]

At 25, I'd invest that money and not give it to Hilton.

777 global mile hound Apr 14, 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Superd1
If it's Hilton it's 5 points. I charge my annual dues and get the 5 points.

Here is how it came thru on the HH Amex bill :confused:
Think it will earn the 5 points?Otherwise I will charge it to another CC

HGV DEP 800-482-0047ORLANDO FL
LODGING
More Detail

Transaction Description: HGV DEP 800-482-0047ORLANDO FL
0000- LODGING

Charge: $238.71
Merchant Address: HILTON GRAND VACATIONS CO
STE 180
6355 METROWEST BLVD
ORLANDO FL 32835-7606