Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront {AUT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront {AUT}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
Glad you got a half decent room, probably the best available considering no suites.
Breakfast on terrace was great but there was a some wasps around, we took our food to the comfy sofas a bit further along as they are not so busy and mostly wasp free.....yes not ideal for eating but quiet and wasp free.
I stayed in a standard room (but with Danube view) recently, I think 5th or 7th floor?! Anyway, the room are all huge, I seem to remember when checking that minimum size was 40sqm. So in terms of space you will not encounter any problems regardless of room category.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Back home from a lovely trip to Vienna and Bratislava!

We thought the hotel was good with perfect 'hardware' but a bit disappointing service-wise.

We arrived around noon on the first day and our first impressions weren't good...:
"Check in?? Name...?". Not exactly a 'warm welcome'. Nothing mentioned about our Diamond status either and nothing about my birthday (despite a comment in my reservation and an email a few days before arriving that my partner sent them).

Our room wasn't ready yet (which I understand as official check in time is 3pm but we were told it should only take another 30min so we decided to wait. In the end it took 2 hours (after a few 'it will take another 15 min or so...') for the room to be ready. Not nice when all you want to do is go and explore the city. We shouldn't have waited 2 hours in the first place if they would have told us it was gonna take that long.

The executive lounge was amazing! You could easily make a meal out of the offerings and there was a wide choice of drinks as well. Nice and relaxing also and the staff was friendly.

Pool on the cool side but nice and refreshing after some (very) hot afternoons in the city.

On the second morning they didn't want to allow us to have breakfast in the restaurant. We were told we could only eat in the executive lounge because we were staying in an executive room. When I told them there was no problem on the first morning and that we were staying in the executive room because we were upgraded being Diamond the answer was: 'Are you Diamond?? It is not mentioned on my breakfast list...are you going to pay extra for breakfast in the restaurant?" Only after I offered her to show her my Diamond card she let us pass. Not a nice experience to be honest...

Maybe I should also mention that there not even a little card or chocolate in our room for my birthday. Must be the first time ever this has happened in a hotel anywhere (Think I have celebrated all my birthdays in a hotel for the last 12 years).

In a way we were a bit disappointed with this Hilton so we canceled our night at the Hilton Vienna for the next night (and slept at the Renaissance by Marriott which was amazing service-wise while I don't have ANY status with Marriot at all...).

Our last night at the Hilton Vienna Plaza was amazing! Worldclass! Beautiful hotel! Friendly and professional staff and definitely where we will stay when in Vienna again. Sorry Hilton Danube...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Back home from a lovely trip to Vienna and Bratislava!

We thought the hotel was good with perfect 'hardware' but a bit disappointing service-wise.

We arrived around noon on the first day and our first impressions weren't good...:
"Check in?? Name...?". Not exactly a 'warm welcome'. Nothing mentioned about our Diamond status either and nothing about my birthday (despite a comment in my reservation and an email a few days before arriving that my partner sent them).

Our room wasn't ready yet (which I understand as official check in time is 3pm but we were told it should only take another 30min so we decided to wait. In the end it took 2 hours (after a few 'it will take another 15 min or so...') for the room to be ready. Not nice when all you want to do is go and explore the city. We shouldn't have waited 2 hours in the first place if they would have told us it was gonna take that long.

The executive lounge was amazing! You could easily make a meal out of the offerings and there was a wide choice of drinks as well. Nice and relaxing also and the staff was friendly.

Pool on the cool side but nice and refreshing after some (very) hot afternoons in the city.

On the second morning they didn't want to allow us to have breakfast in the restaurant. We were told we could only eat in the executive lounge because we were staying in an executive room. When I told them there was no problem on the first morning and that we were staying in the executive room because we were upgraded being Diamond the answer was: 'Are you Diamond?? It is not mentioned on my breakfast list...are you going to pay extra for breakfast in the restaurant?" Only after I offered her to show her my Diamond card she let us pass. Not a nice experience to be honest...

Maybe I should also mention that there not even a little card or chocolate in our room for my birthday. Must be the first time ever this has happened in a hotel anywhere (Think I have celebrated all my birthdays in a hotel for the last 12 years).

In a way we were a bit disappointed with this Hilton so we canceled our night at the Hilton Vienna for the next night (and slept at the Renaissance by Marriott which was amazing service-wise while I don't have ANY status with Marriot at all...).

Our last night at the Hilton Vienna Plaza was amazing! Worldclass! Beautiful hotel! Friendly and professional staff and definitely where we will stay when in Vienna again. Sorry Hilton Danube...
It's a shame your stay was not the standard mine was, it's clear you didn't get the level of service I had....I guess this shows it can be hit and miss.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by wizla
It's a shame your stay was not the standard mine was, it's clear you didn't get the level of service I had....I guess this shows it can be hit and miss.
We really wanted to love the hotel as the executive lounge, pool, room and facilities were really nice.

Another issue I forget to mention:
We complained about the room being so hot after the first night (AC goes off during the night and then the heat starts to build up in the room so we slept very bad). When we came back in the room at 11pm there was a note from a technician saying that 'the issue was fixed'... Next to the note there was a large fan. Not really my idea of a cool room :-((
That was 2 nights in a row with hardly any sleep...
The following night we both slept like babies in our Renaissance by Marriott room :-))
Old May 3, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone remember what time the cocktail hours are in the executive lounge?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Does anyone remember what time the cocktail hours are in the executive lounge?
yup.......6 until 8-30pm.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:09 am

Perfect thanks
wizla likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: TK E+
Does anyone have the direct phone number for the front desk, or some other phone to get to the hotel without the horrendous +43 1 72777 switch?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Considering a stay in mid June for which I found a good rate versus other comparable Hilton/Marriott hotels. Any recent updates? How is location? Has service improved?

I am Gold but may upgrade to the Amex Aspire card to attain Diamond status. Is there a big difference between Gold and Diamond here? Do you think I may get upgraded to Executive Room with Gold status. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Considering a stay in mid June for which I found a good rate versus other comparable Hilton/Marriott hotels. Any recent updates? How is location? Has service improved?

I am Gold but may upgrade to the Amex Aspire card to attain Diamond status. Is there a big difference between Gold and Diamond here? Do you think I may get upgraded to Executive Room with Gold status. Thanks in advance.
When I stayed last May service was fine. I got an upgrade to exec as a diamond but not sure what gold gets. It's about a 5-10 minute walk depending on your speed to the ubahn and bus station which was perfect for me since I was taking a bus to Bratislava after leaving. The lounge was very quiet the days I was there but had a decent spread if I remember correctly. Nice views and ok booze selection (probably similar to a lot of other Euro properties).
sciflygrrl likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb
How is location?
The Danube has not changed course in the past years, so the property is still on the river and is no closer to the center of Vienna than it has every been.
treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completed my third stay for 2019 here the other day.

Nice upgrade to a King Waterfront Suite but all rooms are big and the suite is basically a Junior Suite as it is one room. For pics see wizla's post.

Welcome gift has changed from wine to organic chocolate and a spice mixer with the restaurant branding plus a 0.75L bottle of water. A nice touch of something you can take home. Later a fruit plate turned up.

The rooms are very clean here and I like the peaceful location next to the Danube.

LOUNGE

The lounge is superbly catered and has great service. Three staff working an evening service with an agency employee dedicated just to clean up after guests.

Drinks, perhaps the best in Europe? None of that usual four spirit minimum. From memory, three types of Bacardi, Bailey's, Gin, Vodka, Brandy, Tequila, Whiskey, two white (Austrian), two red, three types of beer.

Two hot meals, chicken schnitzel and potatoes, soup. Many cold dishes like prawns, pasta salad, cold meats. Plus sandwiches (ham, salmon).

Lounge staff were offering to refresh drinks and anything that ran out was replaced until about 8:15PM.

Hours 06:00PM-08:30PM.

Four very loud South African's mouthing off to each other about how they are not paying any tax. I guess they wouldn't have dared do that when Mr Arithmetic (Zuma) was President!

BREAKFAST

Extremely busy breakfast with tour groups. We seated ourselves at Honors table and orders for eggs and coffees were promptly taken. Juice served by staff was fresh, on the buffet not. Poached eggs not like hockey pucks (note DT Glasgow) and were served with properly toasted bread.

Great extensive choice for breakfast including many sweets, salads, breads, smoothies, cold meats and fish (including salmon).

In my opinion a better breakfast than what is offered at Plaza. But Danube only claims to be a 4 STAR hotel.

All in all a great stay. I've been coming here since 2008 and it doesn't disappoint. The only negative is that the a/c is linked to the outside temperature. In other words, if it is hot outside it cools, if it is cold, it only heats. So its sometimes necessary to open the window to cool the room down even if you turn it off.
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
I did not stay at this hotel but I did walk past and around it. Just wanted to warn anyone thinking of staying here that the location of this hotel is really unsuitable unless you have your own car or want to take taxis every day.

The hotel has the river on one side and railway tracks on the other effectively cutting it off from the main roads. The only way to get to the other side of the railway tracks is to cross an elevated bridge (where cars also drive over) and go up (or down) about 25 stairs. You do not want to be doing these stairs with luggage. Also, the "closest" metro station is called "Stadion" on the purple colored U2 line. It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk away. You do not want to be doing this walk in the rain, snow or late at night.

The area around the hotel (and between the hotel and metro station) is mostly residential with almost zero restaurants or shops. There is a sort of shopping mall type complex near the metro station but I could not go in because it is closed on sundays like all shops in austria. (Not sure if there are any restaurants or useful shops in there.)

Also, I'm assumig that when there is a game at the nearby stadium, there will be huge crowds, and might get very loud.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:25 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The location is perfectly fine if you do not have a car.
If you have luggage you can go on the bridge on a sidewalk following the road, thus negating the stair. The walk to the metro station is sign posted and I did it late at night alone in the rain without any issue. It is true it is residential and there is nothing around for eating or shopping, except for a Penny supermarket.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:50 am
Suspended

as Diamond you should get breakfast both in the restaurant and the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.