FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Resort {ARE} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/124851-hilton-dubai-jumeirah-resort.html)

MAN Pax Feb 15, 2007 4:00 pm

The standard rooms have space (just) for a crib by the window. My daughter was in that space on a rollaway when she was 2 1/2, though it was tight. Any more space would be a bonus.

That said, 2 years ago it was surrounded by 24/7 building works. That may have changed and there may be more in the surrounding area to visit, esp for food. Though you will want to limit your travels qith a small child.

We split our stay between the Hilton and the Jumeriah Beach hotel. For 4-5 days, I'd splash the cash and go for the latter. Much bigger rooms, more to do onsite, water park (free) next door and more choice in terms of eating.

Koru Flyer Feb 16, 2007 1:07 am

Thanks, for a good holiday with no regrets probably good to pay the small difference and not worry.

Mark

pauleeepaul Feb 16, 2007 10:19 am

Being able to pay some reasonable amount (say under $100 per night) and upgrade to a suite or nice exec floor large room is a very compelling option, IMHO. Intercontinental does this regularly- does Hilton have such a policy/practice?

GoodTimes Feb 16, 2007 11:30 am

My one and only stay at Hilton Jumeirah beach was wonderful. Mr GoodTimes and I were upgraded to a suite when we were only a lowly Gold. The suite was a one bedroom suite but facing the "desert" (which is no longer a desert!). When I last flew over Jumeirah, it was still like a building site, so I have no desire to return until it settles down.

I'm not sure what an alcove suite is.

Koru Flyer Feb 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 7236297)
Intercontinental does this regularly- does Hilton have such a policy/practice?

I would be surprised if any hotel with availability of a higher room type did not say yes to a top tier member willing to pay extra. That said I guess one or two hotels in Scandinavia might not see the logic though...

I guess it depends how that revenue is treated. My understanding is a DSS booking generates the revenue of a the actual room booking for the hotel. So for them if you want to pay the difference for a better room, it is more money just some extra back office hassle of from two revenue sources. So if worth the effort then go for it (i.e. extra money for the room they may have upgraded you to anyway).

Similar to when I had a FF booking for F out, C return with QF and asked at checkin what the price to upgrade to F for the home leg was, they provided a price based on the difference of revenue F vs revenue C. I decided to keep my /C/ seat ;)

Mark

Bondiboy Feb 16, 2007 5:12 pm

I don't want to rain on your upcoming holiday parade, but unless you have a firm offer of a free/paid upgrade please bear in mind that the amount of oil and other money throughout the Arabian Peninsula, and the popularity of the UAE as a shopping/reelaxing destination; suites and other levels of superior rooms are usually the first to go the first to fill up.

Also. have you researched the location of the Hilton Jumierah? It is a LONG way for the other attraction in Dubai (about 20 miles from downtown). The hotel offers a shuttle to a couple of locations but the timings are not always convenient, especially considering the eating/sleeping needs of an infant.

beergut Feb 17, 2007 4:11 am

I must have stayed there about 8 times over the past 6 years, always upgraded as a Gold apart from once when the World bank was meeting. Complained and was upgraded to a suite on my next visit, even this wasn't huge so I'd go for a suite over an alcove if you really need the space.

The major building works at the Marina behind the hotel are nearer completion but I'd still go for a seaview room as they dwarf the Hilton. Restaurants and some shops are open in the marina plus plenty of other Hotels in the area for different restaurants etc.

Shopping , the Ibn battuta Mall and mall of the Emirates ( with ski slope ) are a short cab ride away. If you want to go into " central " Dubai then the traffic can be horrific if you choose the wrong time of day although cabs are cheap.

Koru Flyer Feb 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks, have no interest in going into central Dubai, just to hang out of the beach and head to one of the waterparks, maybe even the ski area for a laugh.

Will be intresting to see how the area has 'developed' since lats time we were there there was nothing behind the hotel.....

Will go for the firm offer of a suite, thanks....

Mark

beergut Feb 18, 2007 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer (Post 7242238)

Will be intresting to see how the area has 'developed' since lats time we were there there was nothing behind the hotel.....

Prepare to be gobsmacked :eek:

Boddingtons Feb 18, 2007 11:25 am

It's just one big building site. Wherever you look there's a crane!

As far as I'm concerned, all there is to do in Dubai is either sunbathe or go shopping! I can do the former quite easily, but I hate shopping!

All that said, it was a nice hotel. I was there in June when the world cup was on which helped pass the time away. I did indeed receive an upgrade for breakfast and drinks etc. for my 3 night stay - on a 660AED rate.

There was a mini hi-fi in the room with a Hilton cd and the first thing that comes into mind when I think of the Hilton Dubai Jumeirah is the first song on that cd - Sorrento Moon by Tina Arena :D

Redhead Feb 18, 2007 12:36 pm

The traffic in Dubai is terrible. The ski slope in Mall of the Emirates (Ski Dubai) rents you the skis and winter coats (no hats or gloves). 2 hours sking is 150 AED (~$50) or you can just play in the snow area for less

pas70 Mar 23, 2008 1:08 pm

Hilton Dubai Jumeirah

Hello

Heading to Dubai next week for a 10 day stay. Any experience with the Hilton, services, upgrade policies, executive lounge, etc as a diamond member?
What is the breakfast like in the lounge? The plain continental stuff or is it proper breakfast?

Also, any recommendations for local food (like the stuffed baby camels)? Quite like the occasional local experience as opposed to posh/business restaurants, which I see enough during a normal week anyway.

Cheers

Bondiboy Mar 23, 2008 4:11 pm

You will be very lucky to snag an upgrade to the Executive Floor at this hotel; as it is extremely popular with wealthy locals who book top of the line.

As a Diamond, I was declined an upgrade to the EF my last three visits (all during 2007). However, apart from the lack of an upgrade, the hotel does a good job of recognising your status. I was given vouchers for breakfast and can a gift that was selected from a menus of options which included a buffet supper, a polo shirt and several other choices.

There are better choices (in terms of location) than this hotel

Fraser Mar 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bondiboy (Post 9453074)
As a Diamond, I have been denied an upgrade to the EF on my last three visits. However, apart from the upgrade, that do a goog job of acknowledging your status and you will be given breakfast vouchers and can select a gift from a menus of options which includes a buffet supper, a polo shirt and several other choices

Do you know if Gold gets similar treatment? I'm looking at staying here in a couple of months.

Thanks ^

Bondiboy Mar 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 9453348)
Do you know if Gold gets similar treatment? I'm looking at staying here in a couple of months.

Thanks ^

I have no first hand knowledge of how golds are treated.

My guess is that they will treat you well - providing that the hotel is not full.

As I said in my previous post, the location of this hotel leaves a lot to be desired and it is about 20 mins in a taxi from downtown Dubai. It is a great location if you are a beach fan.