FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   The Honeymoon Thread: 2001-2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/124737-honeymoon-thread-2001-2010-a.html)

bello Aug 30, 2007 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Shanana (Post 8321361)
I'm looking for recommendations for a destination for our June 2008 honeymoon where I can use points. Any suggestions?

Rome Cavlieri - amazing club room and usually fantastic upgrade if you are diamond- spectacular view of the city

BriGuy Aug 31, 2007 11:49 am

Originally Posted by osupike17 (Post 8324433)
That place never shows availability when I look!

I will be going on my honeymoon as well.. August 2008. We are looking at going to the Waikaloa Village in Hawaii on the ALON2 promo for 6 nights at 175,000 (maybe 7 at 205,000).

I did this award at HWV in July. It is a great use of points if you can get an upgrade -- which, for a Diamond, should happen.

As Diamond, I was upgraded to a high-floor two-room suite in the Ocean Tower and received excellent service.

Make sure you let the concierge know it will be your honeymoon -- you will likely get more attention.

I made sure HWV knew my trip was part of my 15th wedding anniversary celebration, and I was congratulated by staff each time I interacted with anyone who pulled up my reservation ^ :)

At the GW on Maui, where I spent another seven nights as part of this trip, no one acknowledged my special occasion :td: :confused: -- even though more people on the staff at GW knew about it (based on read receipts from the e-mail I sent) than did those at HWV.

JDiver Aug 31, 2007 1:08 pm

You can still make it a free trip to Fiji by using the codeshares or FJ - though rewards can be tight sometimes. If you go there, a dinner at Chef's Restaurant in Nadi town is mandatory ;) with really good food and fabulous service.

As for HWV, perhaps there is an event or "high demand" issue on the days you want? It's time to call just in case...

I don't know what ever happened to the Hilton Huahine Beach Resort (French Polynesia), but if it opens, TN is a decent airline (only diff between F and J is the six seats in the F cabin recline completely flat, in J they slant., and TN never releases two F awards on the same aircraft / flight.) Huahine and nearby Tahaa are - well most PF islands are fabulous for honeymoons! Maybe an anniversary... (we spent our 25th there.)

Originally Posted by osupike17 (Post 8324581)
Good call, right after I posted I looked and couldnt find anything.. very limited flight selection into there. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere.. Gotta make it a free trip ya know.. put all those hours of business travel to good use.

On a sidenote.. why is it that I can already book a reward stay at just about any hotel for Aug 2008, EXCEPT for the Waikoloa Village? Keep getting a note saying "reservations system is unavailable" ugh..

osupike17 Aug 31, 2007 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 8327964)
As for HWV, perhaps there is an event or "high demand" issue on the days you want? It's time to call just in case...

Turns out that I couldnt book ANY domestic hotel for those dates. Must be that hotels in the 50 states only allow you to book so far out.. whereas international hotels let you book farther in advance. I'll give it a couple of more weeks before getting too concerned.

mad_dog97 Dec 4, 2007 3:41 pm

Help with Honeymoon planning using points

Just found the boards, and didn't realize what I was missing . . .lots of great information on here. I'd like to get some thoughts as I start planning my honeymoon. Here are some of the key details:

* Currently a gold member with 290K points - Need 5 more stays to get to Diamond which should happen in January. Currently spend around $300/week at Hilton locations.

* I just got engaged and looking to book a honeymoon in October 08. Location is open, but would probably stay within 10 hour plane ride of Washington DC area (only going for one week so don't want to spend too much time getting there). Currently looking at Cabo and Hawaii, but I'm definitely open to other options. Beach is not a requirement, just want a relaxing place to visit.

Questions:
1) Any good suggestions on places to go?

2) How far in advance should I try to book an award stay? I'm assuming that it would be better to wait until I'm actually a diamond member? Do you get a better room or any other perks for being diamond on an award stay?

3) Can I get an upgraded room by mentioning it will be my honeymoon, or can I pay to upgrade (either in points or $$)?

4) Anything else I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

elll Dec 4, 2007 3:44 pm

Within 10 hours also opens Europe to you.... I would think Paris would be wonderful for a honeymoon!

kcnwa Dec 4, 2007 4:57 pm

Congrats and Welcome!

First, destination should be up to you and your soon-to-be. Europe, Cabo and Hawaii are all totally different, so really, go where you want to. Many people have reported good success as a Diamond in getting upgrades at some of the Hawaii resorts. If you do Hawaii, you could also split and do time at different islands (they each have their own flavor).

Once you are a Diamond, that should help you get into wherever you want to go. Book as early as you can. Remember, you can always cancel or change the award if you need to.

It make sense to put it in your comments, and even drop the line when you check in if you feel comfortable. However, many cynical and jaded people here on FT will tell you that you don't deserve an upgrade just because you are on a honeymoon ;) (just trying to prep you!) However, since you are a Diamond, you are always entitled to your Diamond Upgrade if available, even on reward stays. Hilton doesn't do paid or extra point upgrades. It's always been an annoyance for me.

Use the search feature to find a TON of information about properties, mods have done a great job consolidating information and you can find a lot of information that will help you out.

troyintn Dec 4, 2007 6:14 pm

As a Diamond, you can book whenever you want too. I have booked day of at sold out hotels before. I would not risk it with My honeymoon, but a month or so is more then enough. Hilton does not let you use points to get suites, getting a decent upgrade is hard for a long stay. I get them often, but only on one or two night stays.

timothyp_787 Dec 4, 2007 8:28 pm

I was in very much the same situation as you about a year ago, planning my honeymoon. To echo kcnwa, the search feature is your friend. My $0.02:

1) If you're going to make Diamond next month, then I would DEFINITELY wait to make any plans until after that. It opens up many more possibilities for you.

2) If a 10 hour flight is your limit, I'd go to Europe. JMO.

3) After you make Diamond, search the Starwood forum for information on the SPG one-time Platinum comp. But wait to request it until after March first. That'll open up even MORE possibilities for you.

Good luck!

Philoj Dec 4, 2007 10:52 pm

We just spent a week in Prague last spring - I can highly recommend the Hilton there. While the locals seem to think it's in the middle of nowhere, it's a fifteen minute walk to the tourist area and Charles Bridge ("the" bridge in Prague)

The hotel is lovely, the excutive floor one of the best I've ever seen. The staff is attentive, courteous, and will treat a Diamond like royalty.

I have a friend that got married in Prague, another that spent their honeymoon there. Both loved it as well.

An alternative recommendation would be Mainz, in Germany. It's a small town just south of Frankfurt, and the Hilton there is also lovely. (There are two Hiltons in Mainz - we stayed at the one on Muensterstrasse). There's plenty of shopping, a farmer's market, and a walking street with restaurants and clubs all within ten minutes walk.

Best wishes!

travelexpert Dec 5, 2007 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Philoj (Post 8840064)
We just spent a week in Prague last spring - I can highly recommend the Hilton there. While the locals seem to think it's in the middle of nowhere, it's a fifteen minute walk to the tourist area and Charles Bridge ("the" bridge in Prague)!

My understanding is there is a new Hilton in Prague--a revamped Renaissance--right in the middle of the action. Planning to go there one summer...

I would recommend the Rome Cavalieri if you are looking for Europe--although have not tried out the Paris Hiltons. It's more of a city experience-but the property is more like a luxury resort. Perhaps four nights in Rome and four in Venice at the new Hilton Molino Stucky.

Since this is your honeymoon--if you are willing to be daring and go for the ultimate in exotic, I suggest you consider either the Seychelles or Maldives (latter soon to be rebranded a Conrad). Both are whopping trips, but experiences bar none from what I have read (will be visiting both properties in 2008). Such an experience would probably require 10 days in the name of sanity--so you'd have to convince the boss that you need a little extra time...

larsok Dec 5, 2007 6:22 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 8840375)
Since this is your honeymoon--if you are willing to be daring and go for the ultimate in exotic, I suggest you consider either the Seychelles or Maldives (latter soon to be rebranded a Conrad). Both are whopping trips, but experiences bar none from what I have read (will be visiting both properties in 2008). Such an experience would probably require 10 days in the name of sanity--so you'd have to convince the boss that you need a little extra time...

I just came back from a 10-day Seychelles trip of which we have spent 7 days at the Hilton Seychelles.

It is the most outstanding hotel experience my wife and I have ever had and we do a lot of travelling and have seen lots of nice places and great hotels. But this is really second to none! Plus the Seychelles are (in my opinion) the most beautiful place in the world. I can't wait to go back!
So I would support the idea that you consider the Hilton Seychelles for your Honeymoon. Coming from Washington D.C. it might be rather a 20-hour than 10-hour flight though.
In terms of value for your points, the Hilton Seychelles will also be a great choice. Room rates start at around € 500,- a night, so your Hhonors points will save you lots of $$.

KENNECTED Dec 5, 2007 8:01 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Not sure if you've searched or are aware of the search feature but here are some threads that could be of help. Congrats and goodluck.

The Master Honeymoon thread
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ight=honeymoon

Thread discussing using points for a honeymoon
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ight=honeymoon

Hopefully these can provide some insight.

mad_dog97 Dec 5, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks for the quick replies from everyone . .. I really appreciate it.

Based on the feedback so far I think I will definitely add Europe to the list of potential sites. From reading through this thread, and other posts, it sounds like Rome and Prague both have good "honeymoon friendly" Hiltons.

I feel like the feedback on Ireland Hilton's is mixed, but I would like to get some feedback on whether the Hiltons there would be a good choice from people who have been there.

The Maldives and Seychelles trips both sound incredible, but I think that may be a little too far for the time we want to take. Will definitely have to add that to the "sometime this lifetime" places to visit.

Thanks again for the responses.

mad_dog97 Dec 5, 2007 10:44 am

Another couple questions that are related. I've tried searching on this forum and others, but don't feel like there's a definitive answer (at least one that's current).

My fiancee is also a HH Gold member although she's not close to Diamond status.
1) Does Hilton allow you to combine accounts or start using the same HH number when she travels? (the only thing I see on the site is the ability to transfer points at $25/10,000).
2) I was going to open up a HH Amex to help consolidate some of the wedding expenses (plus to get the extra bonus points). My first thought was just to add her as an authorized user, but would it be possible for both of us to get separate Amex accounts posting reward points to one HH account?