FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Honors 3rd Quarter Promotion 2010: Double Your Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1090540-hilton-honors-3rd-quarter-promotion-2010-double-your-honors.html)

BearX220 Jul 4, 2010 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 (Post 14241846)
Has anybody tried to register for this promo and received an error? Whenever I try to register for it, I get taken to a page that says there has been an error and it has been recorded and sent to the technical staff or something like that.... Must've been something going on with the website for the 30 min when I tried for the first 5 times. lol

It's still going on. I got a registration confirmation, and not the error message, on the fourth or fifth try. More stellar Hilton IT.

Points Scrounger Jul 4, 2010 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 14243286)
The T&C of the program (see 15) (and experience) indicate you do not earn airline miles for reward stays.

You do earn HHonors points and bonuses for incidentals based on 10 per USD during reward stays at Hilton Family Hotels (other than Hampton and Homewood).

As a result, if you elect Double Miles then there will be no promotional benefit for any reward stay.

Not quite ... it's been reported elsewhere that you can earn variable miles on incidentals.

serfty Jul 4, 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 14243444)
Not quite ... it's been reported elsewhere that you can earn variable miles on incidentals.

That would be an undocumented feature. :o

I have never noticed as Qantas does not participate in variable miles and AirNZ Fixed mile option returns a flat http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/theme...apd_symbol.gif20. Variable is at $25:http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/theme...apd_symbol.gif1 representing a spend for a stay of $500 before becoming viable.

dcshungu Jul 4, 2010 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 14243618)
That would be an undocumented feature. :o

I have never noticed as neither Qantas does not participate in variable miles and AirNZ fixed mile option represents a spend for a stay of USD500 before becoming viable.

I believe this to be a real feature of "double dipping", which is my preference. One is awarded variable miles based on the amount spent on incidentals (evident especially on reward stays when the only thing you pay for are the 'incidentals.")

serfty Jul 4, 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by dcshungu (Post 14243716)
I believe this to be a real feature of "double dipping", which is my preference. One is awarded variable miles based on the amount spent on incidentals (evident especially on reward stays when the only thing you pay for are the 'incidentals.")

Then it's probably better not to advertise it on a Public forum.

Mileage Programs

4. Members will not earn miles for Hilton Family hotel Reward Stays.

Points Scrounger Jul 4, 2010 8:55 pm

I don't think it's a big secret as far as Hilton is concerned -- they care about not earning fixed miles.

dcshungu Jul 4, 2010 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 14243731)
Then it's probably better not to advertise it on a Public forum.

Mileage Programs

If not on FT, then where!!!??? We are here to get the most bang out of our travel bucks... at least that is why I am here.

As for what you just quoted from the T&C, you've got to understand what it means. One does not get any points on reward stays (which are free); however, one does get points from incidentals (please look up the T&C). I have posted my earnings from reward stays already several times in this thread. And, BTW, even reward stays do count toward elite re-qualification. So, I am not sure exactly what point you are trying to make...

I need to tone this down a bit: I just went over my past reward stays and it looks like it is varied. Some properties did and some did not award miles, reflecting individual property's understanding/interpretation of the T&C.

serfty Jul 4, 2010 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by dcshungu (Post 14244038)
... So, I am not sure exactly what point you are trying to make ...

Simply that advertising this may result in the occasional posting of miles no longer happening.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 14243837)
I don't think it's a big secret as far as Hilton is concerned -- they care about not earning fixed miles.

Remember Fuel Dumping?

anabolism Jul 5, 2010 12:16 am

Originally Posted by CAlfaro441 (Post 14183662)
What is the best way to have HH set up as? As Points + points , or points + miles.
I'm trying to earn points to get a Mac laptop. I'm familiar w/marriott rewards, and HH is similar w/the exception of this choice that they give you mixing points and miles.

I'd suggest buying a Mac laptop refurbished from Apple (as opposed to a third-party refurbished or from eBay). If you buy refurb from Apple, it comes with the same warranty as if it is brand new. Plus, you'll know Apple refurbished it properly, whereas you don't really know what the third-party sites do.

As far as the Double Dip option, I generally have it set to points + points, but when there is a promo or I'm really low on AA miles, I switch to points + miles.

cdnpilot Jul 5, 2010 5:01 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 14243432)
It's still going on. I got a registration confirmation, and not the error message, on the fourth or fifth try. More stellar Hilton IT.

Just registered for double points with no problems... must be working now.

dcshungu Jul 5, 2010 6:26 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 14244195)
Simply that advertising this may result in the occasional posting of miles no longer happening.Remember Fuel Dumping?

Good point...

tusphotog Jul 5, 2010 5:54 pm

Anyone got some advice? I earn a WN award every 3-5 weeks or so with my flights/car/hotel rentals. I'm not sure doubling WN credits from Hilton is necessary since I can hardly use all my WN tickets as it is.

I don't tend to stay in higher priced hotels--I'm usually at $150 and under Hamptons/HGIs etc so I don't think double points would get me that much either.

Choices, choices...

Ravenboy2001 Jul 5, 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 14247875)
Anyone got some advice? I earn a WN award every 3-5 weeks or so with my flights/car/hotel rentals. I'm not sure doubling WN credits from Hilton is necessary since I can hardly use all my WN tickets as it is.

I don't tend to stay in higher priced hotels--I'm usually at $150 and under Hamptons/HGIs etc so I don't think double points would get me that much either.

Choices, choices...

The third quarter promo is pretty lame all the way around, unless you can rack up the BMI miles and USE them (they do me absolutely zero good). I signed up for double points and will just keep racking them up for my next AXON usage. Hopefully Q4 will net something better than this snoozer.

Points Scrounger Jul 5, 2010 7:45 pm

I suppose with several short stays one might rack up WN credits. I was thinking of going for double miles with Amtrak points, but not entirely certain yet.

SkinsFan0521 Jul 5, 2010 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 14243432)

Glad to know it wasn't just me. Eventually, after several tries, it worked just fine and I look forward to earning double points for the next couple Hilton stays!