Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New York Grand Central {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond

I just noticed this listing while doing a NYC Hilton search:

Hilton New York/East Midtown

A Truly Timeless New York City Boutique Hotel Recently renovated, The Tudor is a quintessential New York City boutique hotel and landmark, offering contemporary accommodations and modern amenities in a 1931 historic neo-gothic tower. Situated on famed 42nd Street in Midtown Manhattan, this 300 room classic New York luxury hotel is anchored by Grand Central Terminal, United Nations and Tudor City.

It is scheduled to open December 2009.

Most recent tripadvisor reviews describe it as a moderate, not luxurious, hotel. It will be interesting to see what Hilton does to it before the re-brand.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Considering Grand Central and the UN are about a half mile apart, for both to anchor this place is gonna make it one huge hotel covering several city blocks.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
We stayed at the Tudor earlier this year on a Hotwire stay. Based on one (subjective) experience, I'd say they need to do a lot to bring it to Hilton standards.

It's by Tudor City (of course) and 5-10 minutes walk from the UN. Grand Central is probably 10-15 minutes walk or 3 bus stops along 42nd.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Roger
Grand Central is probably 10-15 minutes walk or 3 bus stops along 42nd.
And if memory serves, it's a pretty good uphill trek most of the way.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Arrow Hilton Manhattan East {US-NY}

Just noticed that Hilton Manhattan East, at 304 East 42 Street,will join the Hilton family on May 1. That address currently houses the Tudor Hotel at the United Nations. Always good to see another Hhonors property in NYC.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:22 am

Used to be the Crowne Plaza "at the United Nations"

I stayed there on the last night it was a Crowne Plaza (and many many times before). Hopefully it was renovated under the private label as it was very very tired. Great location though and often had amazing rates for NYC.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:59 pm

Any update on this property? Trying to decide whether to stay there or the tiniest of rooms at the W-A for the same points before catching an early train from Grand Central
Old May 25, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Any update? I am thinking to stay there in July with my wife for a few nights.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'll be staying there for a night in late June and will post some comments afterward, but I suppose that will be too late for you. I usually check tripadvisor.com to supplement FT info on hotels, but so far there's just one (lukewarm) review of the hotel since Hilton took it over.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:38 pm

I am curious about this property as well. If you are hhonors gold, I would be curious what kind of room upgrade they give you.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Also discussed at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=3291
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold
I stayed here earlier in May and I thought it was a good hotel.

I normally stay in SPG properties/boutiques when I'm in NYC and this was a welcome surprise. It's a boutique hotel, but with the Hilton brand name.

The room was a normal size -- not too small, which can be a problem in NYC, and the staff was helpful.

I also read the reviews on TripAdviser before booking and I wasn't sure what to expect.

The lighting system in the room is a bit strange for my taste -- control-panel style switches.

I actually enjoyed it better than the Ws that I normally would have stayed at. And much better than the Hyatt GC which is disgusting -- at least according to everyone I know that has stayed there. I also like the neighborhood, quieter than I expected.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:02 pm

I've stayed a few times in the last month. I'd stay again (next week, actually).

If booked out enough its a bargain compared to the nearby doubletree (painful) and other independent places.

I dont think I got anything special as far as upgrades as a gold - but both rooms were great. One was a 2-room suite with a decked out bathroom... other was a large one roomer with a view of the east river and some other stuff.

Staff was nice. I like the exposed stairs - I can walk down for a bit of exercise and not feel creepy like in normal closed off emergency stairways.

overall - I'd recommend it for the midtown east/grand centrala/UN area.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That does sound like a room upgrade for this property compared to what I was seeing last year being provided on Priceline bookings and $19 bookings a couple of years back.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just back from spending all of 12 hours in the hotel, having arrived at 6 p.m. and having left at 6 a.m. But based on that short time, I liked the place. Didn't get anything like nekbet's upgrades, but no complaints especially since the stay was so short. As a quasi-upgrade had a corner room in a corner that had no view, but it was on the large side (by NYC standards) and was certainly nicely laid out and comfortable. Friendly, efficient staff downstairs.

Also very nice that it's a refurbished older hotel, with the best features of a place that's been fixed up combined with a bit of the charm that comes with an older property's architecture and design. And it does have a boutique feel to it.

Got free internet thrown in, but that was because my rate included a breakfast that I was entitled to anyway by virtue of my Hilton status. (Though I left too early for it in any event!) Possible that HH elites could trade their free breakfast for the free internet, but don't necessarily count on it.

A few minor matters re the room (or at least the specific room I was in): the desk is right beneath the overhead ventilation system, I didn't come across the normal variety of news channels (but maybe I just missed them in my haste) when doing a quick channel surf, and the toilet seemed to be kind of low pressure. But no big deal.

A slightly bigger potential deal is that the concierge desk closes at 6 p.m. The front desk person was fine at recommending a few nearby restaurants, but the concierge hours seem a little odd to me, given that folks might need advice or help after 6 p.m.

One thing I'd add for folks who don't know the neighborhood is that the hotel is about a block away from Tudor City (bounded by E. 43 and 44 Streets and by 1st and 2nd Avenues) a pleasant little corner of NYC if you want to take a brief walk, hang out in the very relaxing smallish park there, and/or take in a view of the East River/UN. Even though it's so close, you might want to ask at the desk how to get there since TC is on kind of a cul de sac up a stairway from 1st Avenue.

Bottom line, based on my 12 hours, is that I'd go back and might even consider it my first choice for a Hilton in NYC, considering location, quality and price ($260 advance purchase, at a rate that included breakfast).

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 10, 2010 at 12:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.