Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2000, 6:10 am
NOVACAT

You will enjoy this hotel. Try to get a room with balcony overlooking city.

Old Nov 19, 2000, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Another perspective, obviously. The shuttle to town does not operate on Sundays. It is FAR and EXPENSIVE by cab to town. Public transit to town is challenging and about 3 blocks away. Most means of public transit travel basically shut down about 11 PM. Plan for it! We did the bus with our luggage! Ack! The hotel itself is lovely and they gave us a nice wine and fruit welcome gift.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 10:57 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Hey I can agreee on this one!

I stayed at this property for a week.. nice place.... the problem is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! No places to eat outside of the hotel.. no where to walk to... and very inconvient. If you are wanting to see Rome and walk .. maybe a downtown hotel is better?? But it is an excellent property.. minus the location!
Old Nov 23, 2000, 8:50 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I considered the Rome Cavalieri for my July trip, even going to the trouble of asking the Diamond Desk to work out something for me with Hilton points. Instead, my wife found a great small hotel on the internet, hotel Paba, which was one block from the coliseum. A/C, private, but tiny bath, continental breakfast, TV with cable, safe, all for $65 per night. The name-brand hotels are all much more expensive and further away. Might be cheaper now in off-season and with better Euro rate. I highly recommend it. Save your points for St. Lucia Hilton or something similar.
Old Nov 24, 2000, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
My paretns stayed there this August and abslutely loved it. True, it is a little out of the way, but they liked that and if you get a view from the top of the hill, it is breathtaking. They loved it and also used a Award. Book early though because many times they dont have Queen/King rooms available for Award stays.. Best if luck and enjoy...
Old Nov 27, 2000, 11:09 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I agree the view is breathtaking.. the proble is if you want to spend some nightime hours in Roma... it gets kinda expensive or hectic to go back and forth from downtown to the Hotel...

It is an amazing hotel, and did get upgraded on an award to the Executive Level.. and the restuarant on the top floor is AMAZING!!..

Good luck
Old Dec 17, 2001, 4:46 pm

Cavaleri Hilton - upgrade??

We are going to use our first GLONP in Feburary at the Cavaleri Hilton Rome. Will we have a shot at an upgraded room and executive lounge even though we're staying on an award, as earned GOLD?

Thanks advance!!
Old Dec 17, 2001, 5:06 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I stayed at that property this yaer on an award. I had 2 rooms and was given great upgrades on both with lounge access as a Diamond.
I can't remember the name of the place we found near the hotel one night but...as you leave the property, turn right and walk to the first traffic light you can take a left at. This will put you in a little shopping area. About 1 block down on the left is a take out and eat in place that really fed us a family style feast one night. There's not much up by the Hilton, but this was great.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 11:20 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Info wanted on Rome Cavalieri Hilton

Plan on staying at the Cavalieri in late September, '02. I'm a Gold member and will use the GLONP award.

question 1:
Has anyone been given an upgrade due a Gold member while staying there on an award stay?

As I'm not sure about getting upgraded (to Executive level room) I thought I'd reserve a paid 3 night stay prior to the GLONP stay - in the hopes that I'd receive the upgrade for the first 3 nights and that they hopefully wouldn't move me to a downgraded room for the GLONP award. (and that I'd have access to the Executive lounge for the full nine nights).

question 2:
Has anyone had any similar experience at this hotel? Do you think my "plan" will work?

And lastly, regarding the GLONP award, when I called HHonors in Nov. they said that the hotel wasn't accepting any award reservations yet and they suggested I contact the hotel directly. I then emailed hotel with request and received email reply confirming the award reservation and stating that I'd need to present certificate upon arrival. The email gives no confirmation number.

question 3:
Does anyone suggest that I need a confirmation number or the like, or would you think that this email (from a named Reservations rep) should suffice?

Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 3:35 pm

I plan to stay using GLONP laste summer and I will be very much interested to learn about your ward stay at Cavaleri Hilton Rome.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 5:56 pm

Thanks for your imformation, Mr, Tomphot.
I wish I could have the same experience of you!!

Mr,Sxchan,
I promise to report my stay at there when I come back Japan!!
Old Apr 5, 2002, 10:22 pm

Just a short post to say that we just returned from this property and our treatment there was outstanding.
We were not upgraded to Exe-rooms, but got the Roma-view room; according to thier policy(local rules), upgrade to Exe-floor only allows for Diamond. (I was Gold at that time). But we could enjoy our complimentaly continental breakfast buffet in their resutrant, everymorning. It was so nice and enough for award stay. The room we got, was beautifully furnished with a nice view terrace.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 7:58 am

I could not get an award stay there so I had to pay to stay elsewhere. I did enjoy the Antico Arco restaurant that is in the Janiculum Hill area, which is on that side of the river. Its in the Frommers guide. Excellent food and wines, good value.
Old May 24, 2002, 1:24 am

Ok. I read all the notes. What exactly is wrong with renting a car if this property is so far from town? This place sounds so charming and this would take care of "the problem" of distance.......no? Is it that crazy to drive there?

When you say expensive, what is the average cost (in American dollars, please) that it would be for a taxi to town?

Thanks.
Old May 24, 2002, 7:00 am

You do not want to rent a car in Rome. I have not been to this property, but I don't suspect a cab is too expensive--probably US $15 or under one way. Just a guess--get another opinion.

Rome traffic is crazy. I used to deliver pizza for Domino's when they had the 30 minute guarantee, and I have no qualms about driving in NYC. However, Rome is altogether different. The problem is two-fold--you have aggressive drivers and much traffic like in NYC, coupled with Rome's unique features--numerous diaganol and 1-way streets, no marked lanes, and the attitude that traffic laws are mere suggestions. These things typically do not phase me--I kind of get a rush from driving in Manhattan--but I found driving and navigating in Rome difficult and easily not worth the effort. I thought the guide books were guilty of hyperbole on this topic, but if anything they are guilty of understatement.

Driving outside of the city is much more doable, but make sure to return your rental to a suburban location such as at the airport rather than a downtown location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.