Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Double Dip: Points+Miles versus Points+Points? Which is Better, and When to Switch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double Dip: Points+Miles versus Points+Points? Which is Better, and When to Switch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Points and Miles and more miles

HHonors members: If you are enrolled in the NWA Mile-Zilla promo http://www.nwa.com/offers/milezilla/, make sure your HHonors earning profile is set to points and miles not points and points. http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/myway HHonors must post miles to NWA to get the Mile-Zilla points. It all adds up.

Last edited by PetoskeyFlyer; Dec 7, 2004 at 7:09 am Reason: Omitted URLs
Old Dec 11, 2004, 2:13 am
Suspended

I just checked my account for a recent stay and found that I received less than 500 miles (my stay cost less than USD500) for double dip. I checked my profile and found that it has been set to points and "variable" miles instead of "fixed" miles. I have no memory of changing my earning preference to "variable" miles and somehow the system has changed it for me

Anyone else experiencing the same problem ??

Last edited by mario33; Dec 11, 2004 at 3:32 am
Old Dec 11, 2004, 2:39 am

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum,NW-Plat
just call them. they are pretty good about things like this.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 6:52 am

I had a similar problem: my earning style changed - not by me - to points & points, rather than points & fixed miles. Called HHonors in the UK and they had no record of any changes on my account for over two years, including changes to email addresses I had made in the last six months and, despite having earned points & miles up until my last two stays, they refused to retro-credit the recent stays I had noticed the problem with. Not at all helpful in my case.

I have my doubts over HHonors IT system robustness, so best to check status yourself periodically.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:22 am
Suspended

Thats why FTalk is so helpful ( but you DO need it to read every now and then ) The above has been discussed extensively in the past months.
I expect that anyone suprised at the change at this late stage are not regular Hilton stayers.

Some months ago HH offered the option OF EITHER getting miles and points( as before) or double points and miles/$ ALL accounts defaulted to the latter option and e-mails we sent out to all plus a posting on HHonors.com outlining the changes.

mike
Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Thats why FTalk is so helpful ( but you DO need it to read every now and then ) The above has been discussed extensively in the past months.
I expect that anyone suprised at the change at this late stage are not regular Hilton stayers.
mike
I do read Flyertalk regularly though I do not read every single thread that is posted here. I am aware of the changes made in HHonors earning styles but what I was not aware of was that HHonors had taken the liberty to change my earning style without informing me. I do not recall HHonors sending me an email that my account will be reset to "Points & Variable Miles".

Based on your statement "...and emails we send out to all ..." , I assume that you either represent or work for HHonors.

The option "double points and miles/$" which you claimed ALL accounts are defauted to, does not appear to be an option on the HHonors website. My account was not defaulted to this option but to "Points & Variable Miles". FT Dakota mentioned above that his/her account was defaulted to "Points & Points" which is also not the "double points and miles/$" that you said ALL accounts are defaulted to. I am confused

Your statement that "those who were not aware of the changes at this late stage are not regular Hilton stayers" is condescending and incorrect. We are aware of the changes but not the default settings made by HHonors to our accounts

Last edited by mario33; Dec 11, 2004 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:17 am

Condescending, incorrect and, characteristically, completely missing the point. Both as a very regular Hilton guest and FT user, I can assure you that, a) I was aware of the changes, and b) that I know how to adjust them. The issue here - please read the posts before replying - is that preferences have been changed without member authority.

Some months ago HH offered the option OF EITHER getting miles and points( as before) or double points and miles/$ ALL accounts defaulted to the latter option and e-mails we sent out to all plus a posting on HHonors.com outlining the changes.

mike
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I think Mikesilv is right.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330304

The biggest problem in implementation for Fters was that the default was Points and VARIABLE miles. Many FTers changed their earning style to reflect their other preference before July 1, but the system set the default again on July 1, so although some Fters thought they were going to receive their desired earning choice, they were earning Points and variable miles. HHonors was good about awarding extra points to customers who called to complain in August, saying there was no way to retrocatively change the selection, but in September they stopped granting extra points. You lived with the selection in effect at midnight of checkin date.

fwiw, since I change my earning style stay by stay, I have ended up with some less than optimal destinations for my miles/points. You might want to look at ALL of your stays and see if you changed earning style and did not change back, but

HHONORS did set the default earning style to Points and variable miles without asking, and while I am not positive, I think they did it twice, once in mid June and again on July 1.

As to changing the default to points and points, that is new to this board, I believe.

Last edited by OB one; Dec 11, 2004 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I got surprised by this in November and while initially told you are SOL on getting fixed miles they eventually relented and posted the miles. Afterall, it would be stupid to not allow this given I would have received exactly that had they NOT reset my preference without my consent. If you are short miles be firm and persistent and you will get your miles.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by OB one
I think MIKESILV is right...
No, couldn't happen.

In my case, I suspect my preferences, inc. earning style, were reset by someone at HH around the time I had a promo applied to my account. The strange thing, as I referenced above, is that all record of changes to my account also disappeared around that time, including email address, CC, FF updates, etc. I had definitely checked and reconfirmed my earning style preference again when the choice of style was announced and the change occurred after that. First I knew of it was when my statement arrived. I don't check my account obsessively.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mario33
I do read Flyertalk regularly though I do not read every single thread that is posted here. I am aware of the changes made in HHonors earning styles but what I was not aware of was that HHonors had taken the liberty to change my earning style without informing me. I do not recall HHonors sending me an email that my account will be reset to "Points & Variable Miles".

Based on your statement "...and emails we send out to all ..." , I assume that you either represent or work for HHonors.

The option "double points and miles/$" which you claimed ALL accounts are defauted to, does not appear to be an option on the HHonors website. My account was not defaulted to this option but to "Points & Variable Miles". FT Dakota mentioned above that his/her account was defaulted to "Points & Points" which is also not the "double points and miles/$" that you said ALL accounts are defaulted to. I am confused

Your statement that "those who were not aware of the changes at this late stage are not regular Hilton stayers" is condescending and incorrect. We are aware of the changes but not the default settings made by HHonors to our accounts
Wrong son, I do not work for Hilton in any capacity in my post the " we" should have read " were".. so I apologize for that confusion.
But my apology ends there.

Hving said that its pretty obvious to me if you were aware and understood the program changes you would not have made the original post, but then by all appreance you STILL DONT UNDERSTAND.

Added to that I would take anything the BA refugee posts here with a grain of salt.
mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Dec 11, 2004 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:16 pm
Suspended

no longer valid

Last edited by craz; Dec 11, 2004 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Hving said that its pretty obvious to me if you were aware and understood the program changes you would not have made the original post, but then by all appreance you STILL DONT UNDERSTAND.

No, I understood the changes; but I dont understand what you wrote !

You said ALL accounts were set to "Double Points & Miles/$" but mine was set to "Points & Variable Miles" i.e. without the Double Points. For the second time, could you please clarify on this since you have stayed silent in your reply ??

And as everyone here have said, we all understood that there were changes in the earning style. What we did not expect was the automatic default to "Points & Variable Miles". Please read carefully before making unneccesary rude remarks.

If your purpose of responding in such condescending manner was to prove that you do travel and stay at Hiltons more often than those who post questions deemed silly by you, then by all means take the glory. I am a leisure traveller and I do not travel as much as most FTs here who travel on business. Moreover, my stays are split between Hilton, Starwood and other chains; hence you may not be entirely wrong to suggest that I am not a regular "Hilton stayer" compared with yourself.

The glory is yours to take ........ and for other FTs to judge!

Last edited by mario33; Dec 12, 2004 at 1:28 am
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Added to that I would take anything the BA refugee posts here with a grain of salt.
mike
Forgive me for my ignorance, but since English isnt my first language I dont understand the term "BA refugee" nor "whom" you are refering to.

BA = British Airways or is it something else ?

Since I am not a regular visitor to the BA forum ,are you being rude to yet another FT member ?

Last edited by mario33; Dec 12, 2004 at 1:33 am
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:01 am

mario33: The "BA refugee" (ho-ho-ho) to whom Mr SILV refers is me, because I happen to fly BA (in addition to most other leading airlines). Presumably I am a Hilton refugee when posting there...

I see Mr S continues to contribute nothing constructive, just his usual vitriol. Troll.

Wrong son, I do not work for Hilton in any capacity in my post the " we" should have read " were".. so I apologize for that confusion.
But my apology ends there.

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.