Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

National Car Rental and Hilton Honors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 1999, 7:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum

Has anyone successfully used the HHonors 40,000 point award for a free week car rental with National? I tried to make an award reservation with National in Vegas and was told that the airport location there doesn't take that award. Last year I learned that Phoenix doesn't take it either and, after pestering a National rep., learned that NO National locations in the states of Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota take HHonors awards! Hilton seemed pretty ignorant when I brought this to their attention and both Hilton and National claim they don't have a list of locations that do/don't take HHonors car rental awards.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Hilton July statement (extra from National)

I just got my Hilton July statement. About 35,000 points from the United Mileage Plus Night offer! Another 1,625 points from a single stay at a cheap hotel by double dipping.

There is a National Car insert which says you get 1000 HHonors points when renting. Simply present your car keys when checking in to a Hilton.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Forgot to say also there was an upgrade cert in my statement valid til 12/31/2000

But it doesn't say anything about confirmable.
Old Mar 25, 2001, 2:52 pm

National Car Rental Reward

Has anyone used the 40K point/6 day rental from National. I am going to Orlando next month and want to use this.

Also, can I use my Emerald Club with this reward?

Thanks,
Old Mar 25, 2001, 4:59 pm
Suspended

As far as I know all rewards and coupons must
be presented at the counter. Not sure what you mean by Emerald Club, if you mean Emerald aisle no, you must go to counter. In airports with a terminal desk you can go to the desk first and then pick the car from the Emerald aisle.
Old Mar 25, 2001, 5:15 pm

Sorry,

Meant Emerald aisle.

Thank,
Old Mar 25, 2001, 7:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I believe you will only get 600 free miles for the week and still be responsible for some taxes. IMHO, given that you can get rental cars fairly cheap in Orlando, it just isn't a good use of Hilton points.

Unless of course, you are sitting on tons of them and don't care about burning 40,000.
Old Mar 25, 2001, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
I have recently used this award. It is for one week - the coupon clearly states 7 days (or less if you return the car early). Also, I believe it must be reserved with National at least 24 hours in advance.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Mar 25, 2001, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You are not supposed to be able to use the Emerald Aisle as you need to present the coupon at check in.

However, if you are sure you pre-booked and the res center tells you to use Emerald, you could present the coupon when you return the car.

In other words, will you be more in a hurry at check in or return...
Old Mar 25, 2001, 9:55 pm

Could someone verify whether or not you do have to pay taxes on this award. That would definitely diminish the value of the award for me.
Charles
Old Mar 25, 2001, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I often use the 3 free weekend days coupon in Tampa....it's an Emerald Club coupon that costs 500 points. Great deal for long time Emerald Club members. Within the past year, they changed the rules to handing the coupon over at the same time they check your license leaving the aisle. Taxes in FL on a 3 day "free" rental end up at $27.58.

Also used the coupons at LAX, same deal of not having to go to the counter.

Will add this comment. Unless you're using the rental over Easter, you should be able to pay a rate that is less expensive than burning points.

[This message has been edited by hedoman (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old Mar 26, 2001, 9:45 pm

What is the 3 free weekend days coupon for 500 points?

Best deal on a fullsize car for 6 days at National is $200.00. 40,000 points for $200.00 worth of service sounds average for me.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 7:58 pm

BIG devaluation of National car rental award!!

Did anyone notice that the one-week national car rental award has gone from 40K to 65K? Wow...that's a HUGE increase.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 8:26 pm

Hmm.... It wasn't a particularly good value to begin with, even less now.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 8:47 pm

no doubt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.