Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Declination

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Rental Declination

I had a reservation for a car this past weekend at CMH. When I was waited on at the counter, they said they have to do a driver license check.
I gave them my license and the agent came back a few minuntes later and said they could not rent me a car because I have 3 moving violations the within the past 2 years. I never heard of doing this before. I went over to Alamo and they gave me a nice car.
Here is the criteria for declining to rent you a car:

1) Drivers License suspended
2) Conviciton for reckless operation in the past 36 months
3) Conviction of DUI or DWI the past 36 months
4) Three or more moving violations the past 24 months
5) Leaving the scene of a accident violation
6) Conviciton of using a stolen vechile the past 36 months
7) Your license is suspened

I called Hertz and I was told as a corporation they were not doing the above. I called the CMH Hertz airport manager and he says the CMH facility is a private operation not owned by Hertz and they have the right to refuse renting a car based on the above.
I told the manager I have rented Hertz cars more then 30 times the past
10 years, not a single ticket or accident. Also I have an accident free drivign record for over 20 years. You notice on the above reasons it says nothing about having accidents. Also violation points include seat belt violations.
As I told the insurance company when you have a perfect driving reocrd for many years you may tend to speed and take more chances. When you set a few tickets like I have I can;t afford to have my insurance rates go up again so I am probably one of the safest drivers ont he road these days.
Also in many states like Ohio with red light cameras which some also check speed, when you get cited by this method no points are issued since there is no way to know who is driving the car so I can lots of these violations and
no one including Hertz is aware of these.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
As I told the insurance company when you have a perfect driving reocrd for many years you may tend to speed and take more chances. When you set a few tickets like I have I can;t afford to have my insurance rates go up again so I am probably one of the safest drivers ont he road these days.
Completely disagree and statistics side against you. Those with clean records, typically stay cleaner, longer then those with incidents.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:51 pm

I think you'll find that declination doesn't mean what you think it does.... Sounds good though!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
1 and 7 on your list are the same thing. Personally, I think the restrictions are reasonable, especially the ones requiring having a non suspended license. Years ago, the rental agencies really didn't have any way to verify this, but now there are online databases that collect that info from across the country so the agencies can enforce the policies if they decide to.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Well, I'm not going to bother with the particulars of whether or not it's a good idea for them to be denying you a rental. In the end, it comes down to CMH being a franchise location. This is a fairly well-known (around here) source of little inconsistencies and sometimes problems. Most airports of CMH's size (or even smaller) are corporate locations so it's a little unexpected to go in there and discover that it's a separately owned franchise.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:43 am

Ever try to redeem a Subway free sandwich coupon in a different town, only to be told, "Sorry, that's not our coupon?" This is the problem with franchises, be it car rentals, hotels, etc. It may look the same on the outside, but the policies can be inconsistently surprising.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
As I told the insurance company when you have a perfect driving record for many years you may tend to speed and take more chances. When you set a few tickets like I have I can;t afford to have my insurance rates go up again so I am probably one of the safest drivers on the road these days.
Interesting theory, but one that's most certainly not backed up by statistics. I don't believe either statement is true.

In driving, past performance is usually an indicator of future performance. I don't see an issue with the Hertz office having a set of rules on who they rent to.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by cordelli
Interesting theory, but one that's most certainly not backed up by statistics. I don't believe either statement is true.

In driving, past performance is usually an indicator of future performance. I don't see an issue with the Hertz office having a set of rules on who they rent to.
I have to agree, using the OP's logic, I'm likely to rob a bank because I've never robbed one before.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djk7
I have to agree, using the OP's logic, I'm likely to rob a bank because I've never robbed one before.
And a felon is not likely to commit a crime again since the punishment will be severe.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not being prepared to rent a car to someone who has committed THREE driving offences in 2 years seems perfectly sensible to me
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sheesh, how picky. The next think you know they'll want you to have a drivers license, and maybe a credit card to pay for the rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.