Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz changed the daily rate at time of pickup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Is this normal? To be honest, I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for a billing error.

I had picked up a car from BTV on the 22nd and returned it on the 26th several hours before I picked it up. This was the strangest location I've ever rented from and I guess they closed out the contract several hours after, billing me for 5 days.

I phoned customer service and she said because I didn't prepay for the rental (which is never even an option I'm given) the rate can change. This just seems shady to me. Especially seeing as they simply hand you the keys and paperwork and off you go. It only amounted to about a $7 +tax difference, but I'm wondering if I should call back.

The person I spoke to kind of rubbed me the wrong way anyway. She said she couldn't do anything about the rate difference, but because I was a loyal customer she would knock off a day (I'm thinking 3 days instead of 4). Instead she tells me "so instead of 5 days we'll only charge you for 4", which is exactly the minimum she's required to do seeing as I didn't have the car for 5 days!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am confused. There seem to be two issues.

First, you state that Hertz changed the daily rate and second, that you were billed for the incorrect number of days, but that the total only amounted to a $7 difference. Was it that the rate changed, the # of days or both? How did all of that work out to $7?

If the rate changed, what did the paperwork state when you picked up the vehicle at BTV? If the rate was different than the rate at which you booked, that is the time to have the rate adjusted to what was promised. That can easily be handled with a printout of your original reservation, a screenshot or whatever you generally use.

If the number of days was wrong, you have your check-in receipt showing the time you dropped the car off. If the local agency somehow did not close out the contract until later, that is easily demonstrated with your receipt.

Either way, it is sometimes easier for large organizations to simply do what the customer asks and make an adjustment rather than research the facts. It appears that this is what the phone agent did. I take it that your final adjusted bill after the phone call is what you thought it ought to be?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by xero9
​​​​​​
I phoned customer service and she said because I didn't prepay for the rental (which is never even an option I'm given) the rate can change. ...
This agent is wrong. The terms and conditions state that the rate (but not the taxes and fees) is guaranteed whether you pre-pay or not.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
I am confused. There seem to be two issues.

First, you state that Hertz changed the daily rate and second, that you were billed for the incorrect number of days, but that the total only amounted to a $7 difference. Was it that the rate changed, the # of days or both? How did all of that work out to $7?
Could simply be that the rate for 5 days worked out just $7 more than for 4 days. Quite possible for there to be little difference or even cheaper to have for longer

Just doing a random check on the Hertz US site , I get USD155 inc taxes for a group C for 5 days ( 1 week rental ) vs $174 for 4 days, so can easily believe that the difference could be just $7

Overall , the customer raised the issue and Hertz dealt with it promptly and customer was then only charged the correct amount.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I think that Dave Noble may have identified the issue. The OP may have rented the car at a weekly rate (which requires a minimum number of days) and returned the car early which under the terms of the CDP or rate reverted to the daily rate.

I think the agent may have been saying that someone that prepays for a weekly rental could return early without the rate reverting to a daily rate but the OPs CDP or rate required a minimum rental of five days and he only rented four.

For example, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...day-early.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ly-return.html
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I think that Dave Noble may have identified the issue. The OP may have rented the car at a weekly rate (which requires a minimum number of days) and returned the car early which under the terms of the CDP or rate reverted to the daily rate.

I think the agent may have been saying that someone that prepays for a weekly rental could return early without the rate reverting to a daily rate but the OPs CDP or rate required a minimum rental of five days and he only rented four.

For example, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...day-early.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ly-return.html
I didn't really return it early. I had booked the 22nd at 1:30pm, but due to flight delays I wasn't able to get it until 3pm that day. Was scheduled to return it on the 26th by 1:30pm but I returned it around 12:00 (an hour and a half early).

But yes, there were two issues. The daily rate that was higher, which I didn't notice at the time I picked it up because I was in a rush, but also the return process at BTV is not like anything I've seen before. On any other return they've had someone who processes the returns in the parking garage. At BTV you jot down the milage and give it to them at the same counter you picked up the car. They just didn't close out the contract in time so it looked like I returned it late.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it sounds like the location made a mistake with rental closure, but it also seems that the issue was resolved swiftly with one telephone call

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.